Fall 2014 applicants??

To those getting word from UW: did you apply to the PhD with an MA already in hand or are you being admitted to the MA/PhD?  I'm getting restless since my application status hasn't changed (so I'm considering an implied rejection…)

I only have two more schools to hear from and I have two acceptances (one with full funding) and one wait list.  I really just want to know where I'm going to live in 4 months. 

Edited by littlebijou

To those getting word from UW: did you apply to the PhD with an MA already in hand or are you being admitted to the MA/PhD?  I'm getting restless since my application status hasn't changed (so I'm considering an implied rejection…)

I only have two more schools to hear from and I have two acceptances (one with full funding) and one wait list.  I really just want to know where I'm going to live in 4 months. 

I completely understand that anxiety! Personally, I already have an MA in hand, so I'm a straight up PhD applicant.

I have an M.A. already, yes. And I feel you: I'm getting antsy waiting for all of the info to trickle in so that I can make my decision and start planning to move!

Edited by bgguitarist

It looks like maybe funded UDub offers are coming in over the phone? Unless the app status and people are getting phone calls as well. My status still hasn't changed on the app--oh well! Looking at potential housing up by one of my schools tomorrow to see what's out there and see if we fall in love with the area :) (I'm meeting faculty/etc in a couple of weeks)

It looks like maybe funded UDub offers are coming in over the phone? Unless the app status and people are getting phone calls as well. My status still hasn't changed on the app--oh well! Looking at potential housing up by one of my schools tomorrow to see what's out there and see if we fall in love with the area :) (I'm meeting faculty/etc in a couple of weeks)

I'm thinking that may be the case as well. I haven't received a phone call, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Emailed Boston to get my rejection, but they said the committee is still working on decisions. I'm taking that to be "we're taking awhile to get all of our rejections out."

Thought I would inform you all that I am currently sitting three rows behind Shaquille O'Neal at the Texas State High School Basketball Tournament. That is all.

Pics?

Pics?

I only have one of the back of his head. He was never officially announced, he just waltzed in and sat courtside and pretended no one would notice him haha. It's on my phone,  but I'll upload it in a second.

Have any of you considered CompLit programs???    I was accepted to the MA @ SUNY Binghamton (no word on funding, yet), and wondered if anyone had any info about the school or program.

Did anyone else apply to UMass??? I applied for a Phd, but still haven't heard back ..

Have any of you considered CompLit programs???    I was accepted to the MA @ SUNY Binghamton (no word on funding, yet), and wondered if anyone had any info about the school or program.

Did anyone else apply to UMass??? I applied for a Phd, but still haven't heard back ..

I'm waiting on some comp lit programs too - no word from CUNY since my interview, and no word from UCLA. Maybe they just run later in the season...?

I have nothing constructive to share. I just want to say that I hate being on wait lists. I also want to say that, though I'm mostly a lurker, the cybercommunity running throughout these threads has weirdly meant a lot to me in the last month.

Solidarity in stress; good luck to all still waiting. & thank you. 

I have nothing constructive to share. I just want to say that I hate being on wait lists. I also want to say that, though I'm mostly a lurker, the cybercommunity running throughout these threads has weirdly meant a lot to me in the last month.

Solidarity in stress; good luck to all still waiting. & thank you. 

Welcome, friend. We’re glad you’ve joined us on the dark side :) 

Am I the only one here who doesn’t care if I never land a tenure-track position? I have a dream of teaching two classes a semester (preferably pop culture related) in an English department and owning a coffee shop. Couple that with having a family and I think I would be happy for life. 

Am I the only one here who doesn’t care if I never land a tenure-track position? I have a dream of teaching two classes a semester (preferably pop culture related) in an English department and owning a coffee shop. Couple that with having a family and I think I would be happy for life. 

I want just enough teaching work so that I can be a novelist on the side but not become a home-bound recluse. And I want to travel, so TT doesn't necessarily seem like a priority right now. 

It would be nice but it also seems sort of stressful with regards to expectations about producing research/book/articles. I'll probably do all that anyway but want it on my schedule not someone else's. Also, I just love teaching. It doesn't have to be TT at a big name institution. I'll be happy enough going back and teaching middle or high school. I even enjoyed the basic composition classes I taught last year as a TA. I need just enough employment to fund my curiosity. :)

Same.  I'd like to teach two classes of something interesting per semester and do almost nothing the rest of the time.  Almost nothing meaning .... write creatively/blog freely, get fresh air and regular exercise, read books, watch movies, listen to music, sleep 8-9 hours per night, see friends and family plenty.  And I'd like to make at least $40,000 a year doing this.  

Edited by purpleperson

I would not be doing this if my primary interest was in teaching, being quite honest (otherwise, well, that's what I'd be doing now). Though going into a PhD program hanging all one's hopes on a tenure track position is considered ludicrous, I will be very sad and disappointed coming out of this not in a research-oriented position at a university. Unfortunately, the reality is that this is more likely to occur than not.

But this doesn't at all mean that I don't look forward to teaching. I had really great professors over the course of undergrad without whom I would not have even made it to this point. I would love to have the same lasting impression on my students, whether they decide to pursue English graduate study or other professional avenues.

On another note, I seem to be having an affinity for double negatives today...

Edited by jazzy dubois

The US News 2014 rankings come out tomorrow. Any predictions?

Note: I’m not one who buys into the idea that rankings are absolutely everything. I just think it’s interesting to watch the trends!