Fall 2014 applicants??

I seriously don’t understand U of Washington’s notification process. Haha. Who else is still waiting to hear something? 

I'm still waiting as well. Assuming they're still using the sliding acceptance method described, I suppose I should be flattered to have made it this far. It's the highest rated school I applied to and definitely the one I felt I was reaching on. 

I got my Washington rejection email at 6:50 EST. Finally, that's all of them!

So where’s it going to be: Duke or UConn?! That’s a couple of fabulous choices you’ve got there! 

I’m still waiting to hear back from 3 schools, including Washington. Ugh. Just give me my rejections so I can move on! 

Edited by Kamisha

Mikers86, are you really debating? I mean, I just cannot imagine UConn would top Duke. Just curious what draws you to UConn, or are you just testing out your options? 

Assuming both are funded offers, I'd definitely take Duke over UConn...in basketball or English graduate programs. 

The man is holding an adorable dog in his picture. Trust him. Seriously. 

The decision process is a tough one! And I know I definitely like UConn, but Duke was one of my top choices, so I'm not exactly being fair :)

Sooooo...besides my waitlist at Case (which I'll take if accepted) I'll take any information I can get about MA programs at Fordham, Carnegie Mellon, and University of Denver if anyone knows things, recommends them, doesn't recommend them, etc.

Another question: when considering an MA program, is it okay to ask questions like what their MA placement rate in PhD programs is like? Or might this be perceived as rude in some way? I can't find the information anywhere on their website, nor if their MA students are accepted directly into the PhD upon completing the MA.

Another question: when considering an MA program, is it okay to ask questions like what their MA placement rate in PhD programs is like? Or might this be perceived as rude in some way? I can't find the information anywhere on their website, nor if their MA students are accepted directly into the PhD upon completing the MA.

I think that number is probably really hard to calculate because not all people who go for the MA want to go on to the PhD and some of them go to PhD programs that have nothing to do with their MA. A lot of people take time off in between the MA and the PhD, as well, so that makes a big difference.

I think you could ask, but I’m not sure how reliable the information will be because at the MA level, so much is up in the air. 

A more valuable question to ask might be where the schools are placing students. Are they placing them in top programs or in non-ranked programs, for example? 

Edited by Kamisha

This is both sad and interesting. I’m an American student and was accepted to a second MA in Film Studies at UEA for this upcoming semester. As of this morning, they've actually awarded me a half-tuition scholarship. I’m now wondering where those funds are coming from. 

Partial tuition scholarships are not uncommon at the MA level, I got one myself. It's just rarer at the PhD level. And to be honest, even if they gave me a partial scholarship, when you factor in living expenses, it just wouldn't make economic sense, when schools in the US offer a full tuition waiver and a TAship. 

Partial tuition scholarships are not uncommon at the MA level, I got one myself. It's just rarer at the PhD level. And to be honest, even if they gave me a partial scholarship, when you factor in living expenses, it just wouldn't make economic sense, when schools in the US offer a full tuition waiver and a TAship. 

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. From a financial standpoint, it’s definitely less cost effective to study abroad and the opportunity to teach that you gain in the states is incredible. 

For me, there are a few huge “positives” that make my particular situation worth it, including the cultural experience, the opportunity to live overseas while gaining additional experience and qualifications in my area of interest, and having study abroad experience on my resume (which I understand schools view very favorably). Also, being able to finish the degree in 8-10 months is really appealing, as it means I’ll be able to start my PhD next Fall (should I choose to defer my offers/reapply next year).

My plan is to work as an online adjunct (already been hired) to make living expenses and pay for the other half of my tuition out of pocket/savings. While completing my first Master’s, I’ve been fortunate enough to have a full fellowship + TAship, so I don’t have any real student loan debt. As such, I’ll take out $5K-$7K in Stafford Loans if absolutely necessary (though I’m hoping to be able to manage without it). 

Has anyone heard anything about Georgetown funding? I've seen people saying that funding offers go out this week, and I'm pretty much making myself sick waiting to hear about it. I'm going out of the country on Friday for two weeks, and I'd hate to spend my entire vacation flipping out about applications. *sigh*

Also, has anyone heard from Florida? I assume since I haven't heard yet that it's either a rejection or a wait-list for me.

Has anyone heard anything about Georgetown funding? I've seen people saying that funding offers go out this week, and I'm pretty much making myself sick waiting to hear about it. I'm going out of the country on Friday for two weeks, and I'd hate to spend my entire vacation flipping out about applications. *sigh*

Also, has anyone heard from Florida? I assume since I haven't heard yet that it's either a rejection or a wait-list for me.

I believe U Florida has sent out all acceptances at this point--when I spoke to Sid Dobrin on the phone last week, he told me that they were accepting 9 out of a pool of over 200.

I believe U Florida has sent out all acceptances at this point--when I spoke to Sid Dobrin on the phone last week, he told me that they were accepting 9 out of a pool of over 200.

I figured as much. Actually literally as I was typing this I got my rejection email. At least that's one less thing hanging over my head.

Mikers86, are you really debating? I mean, I just cannot imagine UConn would top Duke. Just curious what draws you to UConn, or are you just testing out your options? 

I mean, Duke is Duke. But I promised myself from the beginning of this process that I'd be open minded and not rush to any decision without fully evaluating any offers I received (if any). And since UConn is within driving distance, it's easier for me to visit and give them my full attention. And both programs want me, so it's only fair I treat both offers equally until I've seen what they have to offer. And yes, both are funded offers. Geography is not absolutely vital for me, but it doesn't hurt, either.

mikers86---When you visited Duke, did you get a sense as to what it was in your application that made the difference for them? And was this the same as or different from the way you conceived your strengths and fit?

mikers86---When you visited Duke, did you get a sense as to what it was in your application that made the difference for them? And was this the same as or different from the way you conceived your strengths and fit?

Writing Sample/SOP were the deciding factors. What they viewed to be my strengths are not entirely what I conceived to be my strengths.