Fall 2014 applicants??

Waiting on three schools, namely UW and Boulder.

When will Washington put us out of our misery?! I’m just assuming that any offer from them will, at this point, lack funding. That’s making me stress a bit less. 

Congratulations! Have you heard any updates? I recieved word about 2 weeks ago that I was number 2 on the waitlist for a PhD. in composition and rhetoric and am anxiously awaiting news....

I haven't heard any updates; I was in frequent conversation with them for a bit, but then I think things got busy for midterms. I'm assuming we'll start hearing back more towards the end of the month as the people who did get accepted start making their decisions.

I've been counting them as an "unofficial acceptance" since they said I'd be admitted, being first on the wait list, but honestly I don't think they're really an option for me. You teach 2-1 or 1-2 (starting second semester) for about $14k and you take 4 classes your first semester. The area's really cheap to live in; I don't mind living in the middle of nowhere, but apparently there aren't a lot of trees and the campus has a really bad problem with fraternities, so I'm not sure I'd be happy there. I have an offer to teach 1-1 for $21 in an area that's only slightly more expensive and I'm on the wait list at CUNY, whose offer is $25 and 1-1 with a research fellowship for the first year (of course, $25 in NYC doesn't go as far as $21 elsewhere). If/when WSU does make me an offer and I decline, I hope that puts you in good standing (though I applied to lit)!

I haven't heard any updates; I was in frequent conversation with them for a bit, but then I think things got busy for midterms. I'm assuming we'll start hearing back more towards the end of the month as the people who did get accepted start making their decisions.

I've been counting them as an "unofficial acceptance" since they said I'd be admitted, being first on the wait list, but honestly I don't think they're really an option for me. You teach 2-1 or 1-2 (starting second semester) for about $14k and you take 4 classes your first semester. The area's really cheap to live in; I don't mind living in the middle of nowhere, but apparently there aren't a lot of trees and the campus has a really bad problem with fraternities, so I'm not sure I'd be happy there. I have an offer to teach 1-1 for $21 in an area that's only slightly more expensive and I'm on the wait list at CUNY, whose offer is $25 and 1-1 with a research fellowship for the first year (of course, $25 in NYC doesn't go as far as $21 elsewhere). If/when WSU does make me an offer and I decline, I hope that puts you in good standing (though I applied to lit)!

Wow! It sounds like you have some really wonderful options to choose from! Thank you so much for the postivie encouragement, as I'm sure you're aware of, this waiting process is really a stressful experience! Do you have any idea as to if there is just an "umbrella" PhD. waitlist or if it seperates as to whether you've applied specifcially to lit vs. comp rhet?

Also, any idea on how many applicants they're accepting in each? (I had heard somewhere it was usually about 5-6 studnets for lit and comp, allocating a total of 10-12 incomping PhD. students) Any insight would be greatly appreciated and best of luck to you in whatever you decide! :)

Wow! It sounds like you have some really wonderful options to choose from! Thank you so much for the postivie encouragement, as I'm sure you're aware of, this waiting process is really a stressful experience! Do you have any idea as to if there is just an "umbrella" PhD. waitlist or if it seperates as to whether you've applied specifcially to lit vs. comp rhet?

Also, any idea on how many applicants they're accepting in each? (I had heard somewhere it was usually about 5-6 studnets for lit and comp, allocating a total of 10-12 incomping PhD. students) Any insight would be greatly appreciated and best of luck to you in whatever you decide! :)

I'm not entirely sure, but when they spoke to me it sounded like an umbrella wait list in general. I'm not positive, though; they gave so much detail about my standing on the wait list that I think they would have mentioned if there were more than one wait list or if it was by field. I do know they accept about 10-12 PhD students a year, but I'm not sure how that breaks down overall. The numbers you offered seem plausible. If you want, you can e-mail William Hamlin--he's extremely friendly and helpful and he can also have his assistant put you in touch with students currently in the program. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to provide you with any information you'd like.

I'm not entirely sure, but when they spoke to me it sounded like an umbrella wait list in general. I'm not positive, though; they gave so much detail about my standing on the wait list that I think they would have mentioned if there were more than one wait list or if it was by field. I do know they accept about 10-12 PhD students a year, but I'm not sure how that breaks down overall. The numbers you offered seem plausible. If you want, you can e-mail William Hamlin--he's extremely friendly and helpful and he can also have his assistant put you in touch with students currently in the program. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to provide you with any information you'd like.

Thanks so much for the insight! Will Hamlin was the one who emailed me when I contacted the department inquiring about my status. His email seemed very encouraging and promising. He basically told me the chances of everyone accepting initial offers is slim, though still present and told me I was still "very much in contention". I'm number 10 on Miami of Ohio, so my odds are not very good there and I've been rejected to the other three schools I've applied to. WSU is really my only shot this year and ironically has been my number one choice from the beginning, so I'm crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your input! I sincerely hope you choose the program that is right for you :)

Good news, guys! I haven’t heard anything from my remaining PhD programs, but I did find a delicious tub of cookie dough in my fridge. 

Winning. 

Edited: “friend” became “fridge.” That would be creepy.

Edited by Kamisha

I heard from U Wash. (rejection) and Carnegie Mellon (waitlisted) last week, so I'm not exactly in your boat. BUT, I still haven't heard anything from UC-Boulder, Ohio University, or U of Mississippi, and we're getting pretty damn close to the end of March. It's maddening!

I had to contact Ohio University and University of Mississippi directly. They were very helpful and prompt with replies. 

I had to contact Ohio University and University of Mississippi directly. They were very helpful and prompt with replies.

Thanks, that's good to hear! I figure I'll give them until the end of the week, but I will definitely be contacting them soon.

I'm still waiting to hear back from an MA program, and I know they notified their PhD students a month ago. I've e-mailed the admin. assistant in the English department, but she never got back to me. Do you think it's accetable to e-mail the GPD to ask him when I can expect to hear back? The reason I need to know so urgently is because I have a few other funded offers, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not this school needs to be on my list to go visit. April 15th is coming soon, and I'm trying to coordinate all of these visits around my work/undergraduate course schedule.

Thoughts?

I go on my first (and possibly only) campus visit two weeks from today. The DGS has been super helpful throughout the planning process  and is even booking a hotel for me. I'm very nervous even though it's not too far from where I'm doing my MA now, but I can't help it. Ugh. I want to hear about everybody else's visits! 

I go on my first (and possibly only) campus visit two weeks from today. The DGS has been super helpful throughout the planning process  and is even booking a hotel for me. I'm very nervous even though it's not too far from where I'm doing my MA now, but I can't help it. Ugh. I want to hear about everybody else's visits! 

I just had my first visit last weekend and it was amazing. The university coordinated everything-- got us hotels and transportation to and from the school and the hotel. On the first day, we had three "panels," one of professors (including the DGS), one of professors/students from the writing program/center, and one of current graduate students. We were able to ask tons of questions, and there was some downtime where we were able to speak with the DGS and some professors in a casual, more personal setting. They also had a dinner at the university just for admitted students and current graduate students, which was awesome. The next day they had a current graduate student take us on a tour of the campus.

I was really nervous for the visit, but it turned out being really awesome and made me love the school. It was nice to be able to meet other admitted students as well, because I feel like if I choose that school, I'll at least know most of the students who will be in my cohort.

Good luck with your visit!

I go on my first (and possibly only) campus visit two weeks from today. The DGS has been super helpful throughout the planning process and is even booking a hotel for me. I'm very nervous even though it's not too far from where I'm doing my MA now, but I can't help it. Ugh. I want to hear about everybody else's visits!

My visit is the day after yours, though it's a cross country trek for me. I'd love to exchange experiences afterward! :)

Ke, your trip sounds amazing! I'm going to be the only person visiting when I'm there (there isn't an official visit day, unfortunately), it sounds like a lot less pressure to be in a group setting. I'm jealous. Have you decided to attend that program? 

And Des, I'd love to hear about it!

Lol Kamisha, I felt you may have had some interesting relationships with your friends. ;)

And all the Georgetown people, did you get the funding update email???

I got it, but no dice on funding for me! I'll have to rethink my plans, but I really do want to go to Georgetown..

Ke, your trip sounds amazing! I'm going to be the only person visiting when I'm there (there isn't an official visit day, unfortunately), it sounds like a lot less pressure to be in a group setting. I'm jealous. Have you decided to attend that program? 

And Des, I'd love to hear about it!

It was really awesome. I think you're right, there is a lot less pressure in a group, but I also think you get a lot more attention if you go on your own. That was one thing I felt like my visit lacked-- I didn't get as much personal time with the DGS or professors as I would have liked. So, that's definitely a benefit for you! I'm finding that it's best to just relax and be yourself-- they accepted you for a reason. I could tell that the program I visited (and I would hope this is very similar across the boards) genuinely wanted me there, and the whole purpose of the weekend was for them to sell the program to me! It was a nice feeling.

I haven't yet decided because I still need to visit one more program. They have an official "visit day," but I'm not sure I can attend it so I might have to go on my own.

I'm still waiting to hear back from an MA program, and I know they notified their PhD students a month ago. I've e-mailed the admin. assistant in the English department, but she never got back to me. Do you think it's accetable to e-mail the GPD to ask him when I can expect to hear back? The reason I need to know so urgently is because I have a few other funded offers, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not this school needs to be on my list to go visit. April 15th is coming soon, and I'm trying to coordinate all of these visits around my work/undergraduate course schedule.

Thoughts?

I'd give it a shot for sure. They should be understanding in that you need information as soon as possible. Try calling the English department. They will more than likely either be able to answer your question directly or will likely connect you to the graduate director. From my experience, if you can call, they typically are a bit more prompt on responding than through email. (Although recently I had quite a few prompt replies from people via email). 

I got the email saying Georgetown had sent out all their first offers. Really disappointing, because I'm dying to go and I don't know how I'll afford it without funding. Anyone have any idea about the likelihood of getting a funding offer after this point? Honestly, how many people would turn down a funded offer from Georgetown?