Fall 2014 applicants??

Thank you guys!

Kamisha, are you in touch with them? Would love to talk to someone from there.

I am! They aren’t in the English department and are just undergrads mostly, but they’d probably be happy to tell you about the university and the city! 

Yes, it would be really helpful if I could talk to one of them about the university and Boise. If it's not much of a trouble for you, please putme in touch with them. Thanks :D

Will do. I’ll write them on FB right now and then send you a PM :)

Just thought I'd let everyone know how my visit went as requested--

Everyone was really nice and I enjoyed myself a lot. It was a little strange in that the class functioned like any other grad class I've been in, but the dynamic among the students was a bit different. Not bad different, just different- guess I got used to my folks in my program!

I spoke as often as I had something meaningful to say (as in any other class). I'm an awkward person so I felt kind of awkward at times, but again, everyone was nice. I brought a writing sample and gave it to the professor, who has a lot of midterm grading todo and probably won't get to it for a bit but said he would talk to the admissions committee and let them know I'd been by. Hopefully it didn't make me seem pushy- he's one of my POI there and I wanted to give him some background on my interests in case I do end up there (which I said).

Other than that, I made sure to over read (spent way more time preparing than I probably needed to) everything to make sure I was familiar with the material, especially because I hadn't read the theoretical readings the class had to read earlier in the semester.

Anyway, let's hope I made a good impression? It might not make a difference but it was a good experience.

Here's a question for you guys. I posted this in the decisions forum, but I wasn't sure I'd get a response there. I'm in the final stages of selecting a PhD program, but I haven't decided yet (or even finished campus visits). Many of you know that I've been working as NTT faculty and an administrator at a university, so once I select a program, I plan to resign from my job so that they can begin the time-consuming process of finding my replacement. Everyone at work knows I'm leaving unofficially, and it's not official until I send the letter.

Here's my quandry. Our department's administrative assistant requested that I send an official letter soon (now?) so that she can start moving on the search. It takes months to get everything approved, so it would help her out to have the resignation sooner, but I'm hesitant to resign until I sign a contract that guarantees my funding for graduate school (and I'm not even decided yet on the program).

I get that resigning to get a PhD is not the same as resigning to take another professional position. I'm not sure what best practice is in this case. Advice?

Here's a question for you guys. I posted this in the decisions forum, but I wasn't sure I'd get a response there. I'm in the final stages of selecting a PhD program, but I haven't decided yet (or even finished campus visits). Many of you know that I've been working as NTT faculty and an administrator at a university, so once I select a program, I plan to resign from my job so that they can begin the time-consuming process of finding my replacement. Everyone at work knows I'm leaving unofficially, and it's not official until I send the letter.

Here's my quandry. Our department's administrative assistant requested that I send an official letter soon (now?) so that she can start moving on the search. It takes months to get everything approved, so it would help her out to have the resignation sooner, but I'm hesitant to resign until I sign a contract that guarantees my funding for graduate school (and I'm not even decided yet on the program).

I get that resigning to get a PhD is not the same as resigning to take another professional position. I'm not sure what best practice is in this case. Advice?

A few things… when do you plan to know? You’ve heard from everyone by now right? So it’s just on you? Can you set a realistic deadline? Is another week really going to tank their job search?

Regarding the letter.

Perhaps you can word the letter so your resignation is contingent on your official acceptance and “signed contract”.

That way you’re doing the cool thing and the admin can move to get someone in but you’re also covering your tail a bit. If something goes wrong (unlikely right?) you’ve at least got a little bit covered.

I'm not sure I would recommend that contingency plan. I actually would find that rude as an admin. Imagine if you get that letter, start this search, then the person decides to stay on. You wasted all that time, energy, money. I understand your side of it, not wanting to put in a letter until everything is set in stone, but you have to respect your employer too. I would say give yourself another week to decide, then send in the letter, stating when you will resign. Just be professional and understanding, which I am sure you are :)

I'm not sure I would recommend that contingency plan. I actually would find that rude as an admin. Imagine if you get that letter, start this search, then the person decides to stay on. You wasted all that time, energy, money. I understand your side of it, not wanting to put in a letter until everything is set in stone, but you have to respect your employer too. I would say give yourself another week to decide, then send in the letter, stating when you will resign. Just be professional and understanding, which I am sure you are :)

A few things… when do you plan to know? You’ve heard from everyone by now right? So it’s just on you? Can you set a realistic deadline? Is another week really going to tank their job search?

Regarding the letter.

Perhaps you can word the letter so your resignation is contingent on your official acceptance and “signed contract”.

That way you’re doing the cool thing and the admin can move to get someone in but you’re also covering your tail a bit. If something goes wrong (unlikely right?) you’ve at least got a little bit covered.

Thanks for the advice! I let her know I'll send her the official notice next week, which will give me time to process the last campus visit and accept an offer.

Also, BowTies, I must have missed a post.... but you got in and are funded? Hooray! Where? Is it Louisville? I'll be jealous if it is, but thrilled for you.

Just be professional and understanding, which I am sure you are :)

I can't disagree there.

But I am assuming that you're under contract in your current position, Academicat. There are several considerations when being "professional" for instance -  there are employment lawyers. Having a lawyer draft up your resignation might be "professional" in one setting and a little much in another. 

My current job is in Law. So when it comes to work & money I'm a little predisposed to want that extra comfort.  In everything else (except for food) I'm super laid back.

Feel out the environment. If something were to go horribly wrong would your peeps support you? perhaps offer you something until you got launched again? If the answer is no - I'm not sure I'd officially resign until I was 100 percent sure I had something else.

ETA: Ah! you've already solved it! :-D

I'm in at Eastern Michigan - super excited but sort of testing the waters and waiting for the final word from other programs.

Edited by BowTiesAreCool

Having been in a similar situation, and having applied to a LOT of jobs, I would recommend waiting if you can. The job search often takes a long, long time, and you giving your resignation earlier won't speed it up much.

On 3/18/2014 at 2:47 PM, Kamisha said:

Am I the only one who hasn’t heard anything new on PhD applications for over two weeks now? Is this normal? It’s driving me batty. I’m still waiting for three schools.

I heard from WUSTL (rejection) and Carnegie Mellon (waitlisted) last week, so I'm not exactly in your boat. BUT, I still haven't heard anything from UC-Boulder, Ohio University, or U of Mississippi, and we're getting pretty damn close to the end of March. It's maddening!

UDub is the only school I'm waiting on, but after hearing about what it's apparently like there, I'm not too interested anymore anyway. Now I'm playing the waiting game...

I was still waiting on them too, but I went ahead and called today and spoke to someone. She couldn't tell me if I'd be offered admission, but she COULD tell me that there wouldn't be funding (for me, anyway). So that helped me out-- no longer waiting on them!

Anyway, if you're willing to call, you might be able to get some more info as well! 

Am I the only one who hasn’t heard anything new on PhD applications for over two weeks now? Is this normal? It’s driving me batty. I’m still waiting for three schools. 

Kamisha: I'm still waiting on a school too. I emailed the DGS a little over a week ago and am planning to follow up if I don't hear back by mid-week.

So, I received my official acceptance from Georgetown, but I still haven't heard about funding. I haven't contacted the English department about funding, but I was wondering if it was okay for me to do so. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of matter?

Edit: missed a word

Edited by merintil

Puzzlingly, there are two schools from which I've not heard a word on my application. I am certain that these two schools have already sent out their acceptances, and one also sent out rejections. I really have no idea what's going on. This waiting game is not fun at all.

I just got a personal e-mail from William Hamlin at WSU stating that I was at the top of the wait list. :) more good news! He says he thinks he can offer me admission in 3-4 weeks with a 5 year teaching assistantship. Wow.

Congratulations! Have you heard any updates? I recieved word about 2 weeks ago that I was number 2 on the waitlist for a PhD. in composition and rhetoric and am anxiously awaiting news....