Fall 2014 applicants??

I know, completely feel you on the funding. But right now I don't have other options. So it's looking pretty good. I got into Georgetown, but I haven't heard anything on funding and I think they contacted their first picks lay week. So that's completely unreachable financially. Where Rochester is a bit more feasible.

As terrible as loans are, I just have my heart completely set on English. I can't see myself passing up the opportunity!

I know, completely feel you on the funding. But right now I don't have other options. So it's looking pretty good. I got into Georgetown, but I haven't heard anything on funding and I think they contacted their first picks lay week. So that's completely unreachable financially. Where Rochester is a bit more feasible.

As terrible as loans are, I just have my heart completely set on English. I can't see myself passing up the opportunity!

I did an unfunded MA (that had lots of jobs available on campus) and it was a great experience. If you can manage it financially, go for it if it's what you want! Rochester isn't the most expensive area as far as I know either

I did an unfunded MA (that had lots of jobs available on campus) and it was a great experience. If you can manage it financially, go for it if it's what you want! Rochester isn't the most expensive area as far as I know either

definitely have my heart set on English, but I also have a partner's feelings to consider. We've been together for five years and right now he's taking on about 80% of the financial burden. Plus, he's an economist and already thinks it is nuts to do a decade of extra schooling when the postsecondary job market looks the way it does and entry-level salary is barely more than what he makes with half the education (and that is if I'm lucky enough to find a tenure-track job). I can't say I blame him; his points are completely valid.

Trust me, I'm tempted by Rochester, and it is definitely more financially do-able than most programs . . . it just might not be financially do-able enough. Even with my boyfriend burdening most of the cost of our lifestyle, I still contribute some money to rent and other bills. If I went to Rochester, not only is it the cost of the program, but it's the cost of rent in NJ plus the cost of rent in Rochester, the cost of us commuting to each other every once in a while (I'm too pathetic to go several months without seeing him), and so many other various random costs that might become compounded.

And as I said, I don't even have all the information yet. What if I get into Villanova with a better funding package? Or the institution near where I live? I can't believe April 15th is only a month away, it feels way too soon to make this sort of decision . . . I can't believe just two days ago I was sitting down with my boyfriend to figure out what to do if I don't get in anywhere.

Yay dyslexic! I'm glad our luck wishes came to fruition and we aren't forced to kill one another out of jealousy.

And yay for you too Styro. :) Are you guys thinking about accepting the offer?? Will we be future classmates??

It's definitely at the top of my very short list of options! I'm waiting on a couple of CSU's, but Rochester is much more appealing...

definitely have my heart set on English, but I also have a partner's feelings to consider. We've been together for five years and right now he's taking on about 80% of the financial burden. Plus, he's an economist and already thinks it is nuts to do a decade of extra schooling when the postsecondary job market looks the way it does and entry-level salary is barely more than what he makes with half the education (and that is if I'm lucky enough to find a tenure-track job). I can't say I blame him; his points are completely valid.

Trust me, I'm tempted by Rochester, and it is definitely more financially do-able than most programs . . . it just might not be financially do-able enough. Even with my boyfriend burdening most of the cost of our lifestyle, I still contribute some money to rent and other bills. If I went to Rochester, not only is it the cost of the program, but it's the cost of rent in NJ plus the cost of rent in Rochester, the cost of us commuting to each other every once in a while (I'm too pathetic to go several months without seeing him), and so many other various random costs that might become compounded.

And as I said, I don't even have all the information yet. What if I get into Villanova with a better funding package? Or the institution near where I live? I can't believe April 15th is only a month away, it feels way too soon to make this sort of decision . . . I can't believe just two days ago I was sitting down with my boyfriend to figure out what to do if I don't get in anywhere.

I relate to this so much. Rochester is so tempting, but if I get into a CSU, I can save an incredible amount by staying in-state and living at home.

Salvage. I'm going to rework my fit section and if I get the Fulbright, add that to my sections on why I am qualified. But I feel like everything else is good. The hardest part will be deciding to re-edit my writing sample or leave it be. I personally like it, but I also can't imagine writing something better within the next few months. 

Edited by Horb

For anyone out there thinking of reapplying, are you going to start from scratch on your SoP or try to salvage some of it?

I already rewrote it for Villanova, but I would salvage that one when I reapply for PhDs, probably, assuming my research interests don't change. WS might be a different story though.

Edited by despejado

Planning my visit to Fordham's MA program in a few weeks. I'll very conveniently get to do a ton of fun stuff in the city besides visiting the program, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also visiting CMU at the end of March, and speaking to a professor there over the phone later this week about a tutoring opportunity I was informed of.

I'm in a pretty miserable place right now (working two dead end jobs, living with my parents) but I'm starting to have a lot to look forward to, even if it means paying for some of my MA. My goal is to get all I can out of a one or two year MA, which will hopefully get me into a PhD program in the next few years.

I already rewrote it for Villanova, but I would salvage that one when I reapply for PhDs, probably, assuming my research interests don't change. WS might be a different story though.

Ran out of up votes, but I’m with you on this. 

Anybody else hearing nothing but static from Washington and Boulder at this point? Seems crazy late in the game, I just want my rejections so I can move on and accept what I have/cling to hope to get off the waitlist at my dream school. 

I'm going to a class at a school I'm wait listed at tomorrow...I'm nervous! I hope I have something intelligent to say. I hope I make a good impression.

I'm doing this at the end of the month...I'm also nervous! let us know how it goes! 

I'm going to a class at a school I'm wait listed at tomorrow...I'm nervous! I hope I have something intelligent to say. I hope I make a good impression.

I'm doing this at the end of the month...I'm also nervous! let us know how it goes! 

me too! report back with what happens, m'kay?

Anybody else hearing nothing but static from Washington and Boulder at this point? Seems crazy late in the game, I just want my rejections so I can move on and accept what I have/cling to hope to get off the waitlist at my dream school. 

I’m still radio silent on Washington and two other schools. Ugh. 

Has anyone applied to UConn's MA program? Their PhD students heard back over a month ago, and I still have no word from them on my MA application.

Just curious, has anyone heard anything back from Georgetown's MA in English program about funding

yet?

Hi Donna,

Last Monday the DGS told me they'd be giving more info on funding in the next two weeks. Will you be going to the open house?

For anyone out there thinking of reapplying, are you going to start from scratch on your SoP or try to salvage some of it?

Hi Kamisha,

I'm thinking I would salvage the overall structure of my SoP, but revise the content. My interests have stayed the same, but the last couple months of undergrad have reshaped the way I'd like to carry those over to grad school.

Hi Donna,

Last Monday the DGS told me they'd be giving more info on funding in the next two weeks. Will you be going to the open house?

Hi storypetals,

I'm not quite sure yet. I was planning on going to the open house if I got funding, because money for a flight to DC is tight for me right now. Hopefully they let us know sometime in the next few days!

A question:  have any US applicants actually been admitted to Brandeis--or is everyone just waitlisted and invited to their visiting days?

I was waitlisted but I haven't heard anything about the visit day. A classmate was offered admission.

Guys! I just received a funded offer from Boise State University :D Wanted to share the news with you all.

Congrats! I have a bunch of friends at BSU and they love it!