Fall 2014 applicants??

“If I am going to be drowned – if I am going to be drowned – if I am going to be drowned, why in the name of the seven mad gods who rule the sea, was I allowed to come thus far and contemplate land and trees?”

Few people know that Stephen Crane actually wrote this about U of Washington. Just reject me already! 

“If I am going to be drowned – if I am going to be drowned – if I am going to be drowned, why in the name of the seven mad gods who rule the sea, was I allowed to come thus far and contemplate land and trees?”

Few people know that Stephen Crane actually wrote this about U of Washington. Just reject me already!

Same- still haven't heard back. I know they're kind of weeding through them, but it seems that they made their funded offers a week or two ago. Idk, since my status online hasn't changed, I'm not very optimistic. Maybe I'm on a waiting list? I feel like they're mostly just weeding through to see who they might take if their first choices don't accept the offer and who they won't. Anyway, I would need to be funded to go there, which it seems I probably wouldn't be even if I got accepted since other people will probably get that funding. Edited by shortstack51

Same- still haven't heard back. I know they're kind of weeding through them, but it seems that they made their funded offers a week or two ago. Idk, since my status online hasn't changed, I'm not very optimistic. Maybe I'm on a waiting list? I feel like they're mostly just weeding through to see who they might take if their first choices don't accept the offer and who they won't. Anyway, I would need to be funded to go there, which it seems I probably wouldn't be even if I got accepted since other people will probably get that funding.

You and I are in the same boat. My online status hasn’t changed, but I have the sense that they’ve sent out all of their acceptances already. I just am curious as to why they are staggering rejections like this if they’ve already made their offers. Wouldn’t it make more sense to make your offers, pick your waitlist, and then reject everyone at the same time?

I'm with the both of you re: Washington. I just want my rejection (and Boulder's) so I can go about my business.

I got my Washington rejection today :-/

I'm still awaiting my rejection from Boulder, too, though. Unofficial waitlists are particularly cruel, aren't they?

Any comp. lit majors here?? I still haven't heard back from Cornell & U Dub.. does anyone know when the results will come out?

hey, I heard back 2 weeks ago from Cornell, I emailed the DGS and got my rejection the very next day. I think the list is already closed, they are just working too slow to send out rejections. Maybe you should call? I did not call because I am an international student and the time difference makes it very inconvenient.

I am also waiting from NYU. They are so slow. They told me I would hear this week. Well, I guess that means tomorrow.... Is it even worth it to cross my fingers? So late in the season!

Also I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how long I have to wait for MA decisions. CUNY's ddl is till 01. May... I hope MAs would be easier to send out admission results since there is no funding for international students only competitive scholarships.

Edited by WendyWonderland

I'm going on a grad school visit wear I've been accepted and wondering what to wear. Any suggestions? Would dark jean, boots, and a nice top be too casual?   

Personally I think if the top is pretty nice, you should be fine.  When I went to mine I wore a jean skirt one day and a casual dress the next, but I'm just a skirts and dresses kinda person.  But I don't think jeans and a top would be an issue, as long as you just look put together.

People can feel free to correct me, but honestly, you're trying to make a nice "I care about you school" impression, not "please hire me look I'm professional".  This will be about them wooing you.

Yeah, I think it's about looking put together more so thank trying to look "impressive", so to speak. I plan on wearing black jeans, a gray sweater, cute flats, and a scarf to my visit--I've found that sweater+jeans seems to be a go-to "business casual" look for the professors/staff in my department which means it's probably perfectly fine for a campus visit. 

What to wear.

I'm a dude - take that into consideration.

Business Cas----------------

Shoes: Suede dress shoes (sort of an orangeish brown - maybe the color of a camel)

Slacks: Hunter Green Corduroys

Shirt: Purple sweater

accessories: my smile

---------------------

Dressier----------------

Shoes: Same ol suede dress shoes

Slacks: light brown tweed - subtle teal highlights (prince of wales check)

Shirt: some sort of dress shirt. I have some wonderful colors to pick from

Accessories: Bow Tie(see my user name - usually simple such as plain slate colored)

-------------------------------------------------------------

I know a few people were interested in film studies, including some who got accepted to Fordham, so I thought I'd let you know that Fordham's English program has just established a film studies reading/viewing group (directed by one of the most brilliant people I've ever encountered).

Just looked back over the discussion board and noticed that Washington has a tendency to trickle out rejections into April. Ugh. I am really hoping to be done with all of this before the week is over.

Just looked back over the discussion board and noticed that Washington has a tendency to trickle out rejections into April. Ugh. I am really hoping to be done with all of this before the week is over.

I know, same. I'm just going to count it as a rejection because it seems they've made funded offers. It'll help me figure out what to do moving forward.

I know, same. I'm just going to count it as a rejection because it seems they've made funded offers. It'll help me figure out what to do moving forward.

Yeah I’m definitely assuming rejection. I just hate limbo. 

Ugh, yeah, it's the worst. I just found out my fiancee is getting accepted to a school in NYC, which is awesome, but I have a wait list at CUNY, so now we need to wait and see if we're moving to eastern CT in May when our lease is up or to NYC....and we're running out of time because our lease ends April 30th. Everything is so complicated! If I don't hear back from CUNY by early April, I don't know what I'll do (IDK if I would pick CUNY over UCONN, but I'll have to see after I visit; my fiancee also has some options work-wise by UCONN). I guess ask for an extension on the lease and stay put? But there are literally 0 summer jobs where I am.

Life is hard you guys

/whine

Ugh, yeah, it's the worst. I just found out my fiancee is getting accepted to a school in NYC, which is awesome, but I have a wait list at CUNY, so now we need to wait and see if we're moving to eastern CT in May when our lease is up or to NYC....and we're running out of time because our lease ends April 30th. Everything is so complicated! If I don't hear back from CUNY by early April, I don't know what I'll do (IDK if I would pick CUNY over UCONN, but I'll have to see after I visit; my fiancee also has some options work-wise by UCONN). I guess ask for an extension on the lease and stay put? But there are literally 0 summer jobs where I am.

Life is hard you guys

/whine

Ugh. I’m sorry. Do you have an MA? Maybe you could find an adjunct position open at your university? 

Ugh. I’m sorry. Do you have an MA? Maybe you could find an adjunct position open at your university? 

I am finishing my MA now, but it's a small private school, and most private schools don't really need adjuncts/lecturers for composition or lit classes for the summer period (at least in my experience). CUNY colleges in the city don't seem to really have any sort of summer/temporary position. Last year I ended up working a horrible office job over summer because it was the only job I could get (worked for a guy who had alzheimer's and constantly screamed at me--almost quit like 3 times but I needed the money) after roughly 30-40 submitted applications. I would rather not do that again.

I'm going on a grad school visit wear I've been accepted and wondering what to wear. Any suggestions? Would dark jean, boots, and a nice top be too casual?   

I plan to wear something similar. Each of my visits are about  days, so I may wear a dress and comfy boots the first day, and switch to dark jeans and a dress top the second.

I am finishing my MA now, but it's a small private school, and most private schools don't really need adjuncts/lecturers for composition or lit classes for the summer period (at least in my experience). CUNY colleges in the city don't seem to really have any sort of summer/temporary position. Last year I ended up working a horrible office job over summer because it was the only job I could get (worked for a guy who had alzheimer's and constantly screamed at me--almost quit like 3 times but I needed the money) after roughly 30-40 submitted applications. I would rather not do that again.

Online adjunct? Work in the writing center? That situation is crappy. I’m sorry :(

Does anyone know if England offers the GRE subject test in English? I was on the website and they don't list it as having a test center. 

I received my official rejection to BU a few days ago, and got my acceptance to their unfunded MA program then, too. I've just received another follow up email from them, saying how impressed they were with my writing my sample, and they really hope I choose BU from my MA. They're so nice--it's a shame their tuition comes to $44,000 a year!

I don't think so (then again I'm approaching this with no experience myself.) But a lot of visits involve tours and a lot of walking, so jeans and boots are the practical choice. One university I've been accepted to made sure to recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes to their visit day because of the amount of walking involved.