Fall 2014 applicants??

Sooo I couldn't wait to get home and tell you all this juicy tidbit: I was at the Mississippi Writing Centers Association Conference, and I heard that Mississippi State secured a few more TA funding lines late this spring, so they're accepting a few more applications to their MA program until April 15th. If you're looking for a late application deadline with funding, this is as good as it gets.

So, I need some opinions...

I have an acceptance, 7 rejections, one wait list, and one unknown-but-implied-rejection.  I'm...97% sure I want to take my acceptance, but then there's the looming wait list, and the unknown.  I think I'd rather go where I'm already accepted...how dumb would it be to just accept the offer, before I know for sure about the two impending schools?

Program-wise, they all have their high points.  But location-wise, my acceptance is much more in my "areas I want to live" camp.  And I just...want to have a decision made.  I feel pretty certain about St. Louis, but have this nervous fear of committing before I've heard everything.

....I haven't really slept.  But if you can make sense out of all that, I'd love thoughts.

Just wait. They won't take away your acceptance. You can start looking at apartments and planning without committing. BUT, if you'd take them over your wait list, then I'd say just accept :) But wait from the last school, for closure.

After posting, I checked my UDub app and I WAS ACCEPTED TO THE PROGRAM! Check the website NOW guys!

Congrats!! I checked and mine hasn't changed, so I guess that may be a bad thing, but I'll keep checking! They're also what I'm waiting on before I move into the campus-visit-and-seeing-if-I-should-wait-for-the-waitlist phase.

A professor from one of the schools I'm waitlisted at is visiting my MA institution in a few weeks. Granted, he's in creative writing and I'm not, but I wonder how much elbow-rubbing I should do... I guess it would be odd if I didn't go to the reading or didn't introduce myself, but won't it also look like I'm trying to curry favor (which I sort of am...)?

Do it. It won't hurt. It probably won't help you move from waitlisted to accepted, but it will be nice if you do get accepted. I don't see any reason not to go and say hello and genuinely enjoy the event.

After posting, I checked my UDub app and I WAS ACCEPTED TO THE PROGRAM! Check the website NOW guys!

Congratulations! That’s wonderful!!! :)

Mine is also still showing Submitted & Paid, so I’m taking that as a bad sign. Haha. 

So, I need some opinions...

I have an acceptance, 7 rejections, one wait list, and one unknown-but-implied-rejection.  I'm...97% sure I want to take my acceptance, but then there's the looming wait list, and the unknown.  I think I'd rather go where I'm already accepted...how dumb would it be to just accept the offer, before I know for sure about the two impending schools?

Program-wise, they all have their high points.  But location-wise, my acceptance is much more in my "areas I want to live" camp.  And I just...want to have a decision made.  I feel pretty certain about St. Louis, but have this nervous fear of committing before I've heard everything.

....I haven't really slept.  But if you can make sense out of all that, I'd love thoughts.

I would say just wait. Nothing bad happens if you wait and, like Horb said, you can already start researching and getting things in order. I understand the intense desire to make your choice and to have this whole process done with but I would wait. I ended up with two waitlists that I felt SURE were going to be rejections. You never know.

Mine is also still showing Submitted & Paid, so I’m taking that as a bad sign. Haha. 

Mine said that earlier today. I think it finally changed the third time I checked it. So, maybe not a bad sign?

Holy crap! Congratulations! :)

You gave me a heart attack, so now i have to check my app...

Submitted & Paid. Will take that as a further reason to become more emotionally attached to Villanova.

But again, CONGRATULATIONS BG! That is so wonderful.

Edited by despejado

Thanks for letting us know, because I would have never thought to check, and I GOT IN TOO! After 13 rejections this season, I got in somewhere. I have no words.

Oh, just to be clear, I contacted them, they didn't contact me.  I'd sent an email that asked for a ballpark estimate as to when they'd be releasing acceptances and rejections.  The lady (I think the DGS) replied to me about my specific status even though I didn't ask for it.  It's funny, because when I read the line  "your file is not being moved to the next stage..." I immediately started to think...yet another rejection.  But then I read on...

I still don't feel that I have a "waitlist."  More like a "not a rejection."  (Really, REALLY ambiguous). But I guess it's something. 

Anyway, if you're curious to know your status, you could do what I did and ask the general question over email.  (Anywhere from Feb. 25th and onward, I don't think any school would consider it pestering.)  I've done it twice now -- once with Loyola Chicago and once with GWU, and in both cases, they gave me my specific status.

In Loyola's case, though, it was a rejection.

Well, I just sent Dr. Huang an e-mail. I'm crossing my fingers, but ugh, I have the feeling I am going to be very unhappy for the rest of the day. Either way I'm going to be on pins and needles and jumping every time I get an email.

Thanks for letting us know, because I would have never thought to check, and I GOT IN TOO! After 13 rejections this season, I got in somewhere. I have no words.

Awesome! I've apparently reached my upvote quota, but consider this upvoted :)

Considering emailing Case where I've been waitlisted and letting them know that I've heard back from all my schools (assuming rejection from BU at this point) and that they are my top choice, and that I will be accepted an offer should there become space in the program for me. I'd also like to mention to them that as a backup plan, I'm working on planning visits at the end of March to two other universities which will cost me a bit of money, so the sooner I can have news from Case, the better? (Obviously I'd put it in a more polite, professional way than this.) I'd hate to book a flight/hostel in NYC to visit Fordham, only to hear back from Case a few weeks later and have wasted my money. Is anyone else have a similar issue, with wanting to plan visits to other schools but also hoping you'll get off a waitlist to your top choice?