Fall 2014 applicants??

It would be nice to say that I didn't care about getting a tenure-track job, but that would totally be a lie. I've been adjuncting for the past two years, and while I've really enjoyed the teaching aspect, it's way to hard to live off of this type of life. For one of the classes I taught I only made $2000. If you teach four classes a year on that salary, you wouldn't be able to support yourself. Now, obviously it's different if you have a spouse who has a great job or another part-time job yourself, but I can't imagine having to rely on someone else or wanting a part time job. All I want is stability, a decent salary, some literature classes to teach, and the chance to do research. It doesn't have to be at a big name university, but it has to be more than adjuncting. Adjuncting just doesn't seem like a real job to me--it feels like grad school without the classes. : /

So it looks like I may have to reapply next year (LONG story), but I'm trying to find programs for Victorian Studies that I could feasibly get into. I'm also wondering what overseas funding is like. For instance, if I got into Oxford, should I even go, since they generally don't incorporate teaching (at least, from what I have heard, not like the US does)? Sorry to bring it back to round 2 time. Maybe things will work out and I don't have to reapply!

So it looks like I may have to reapply next year (LONG story), but I'm trying to find programs for Victorian Studies that I could feasibly get into. I'm also wondering what overseas funding is like. For instance, if I got into Oxford, should I even go, since they generally don't incorporate teaching (at least, from what I have heard, not like the US does)? Sorry to bring it back to round 2 time. Maybe things will work out and I don't have to reapply!

What?! Oh no! I hope that’s because you are doing the Fulbright somewhere fabulous. 

The UK actually does offer some overseas funding for PhD students....sometimes. Typically, though, you don’t get to teach. That’s my understanding, anyway. I’m considering completing a PhD program in the UK and, if I do, I’ll adjunct online for a US school while I’m there so I can keep up the record of teaching, albeit in a different way. That would probably be my recommendation, though I’m no expert by any means and have no authority to comment on the subject. 

Kamisha, I found out one of my schools won't defer and I probably won't know the outcome until after the national deadline, so it is a bit tricky. 

Kamisha, I found out one of my schools won't defer and I probably won't know the outcome until after the national deadline, so it is a bit tricky. 

That is SO frustrating. I’m sorry :( I hope it works out. If not...you’ve been successful this year! Taking what you know and reapplying with what you’ve learned will probably make you unstoppable! 

If you've been accepted to OSU, you should definitely decline the offer as soon as possible. 

Just kidding.

But my SO is on their waitlist, and I would like my SO to get in.

So...you know, consider not going, for me, your friend from the communication side of the academic world. Also for my SO, who is from the English-y parts.

If you've been accepted to OSU, you should definitely decline the offer as soon as possible. 

Just kidding.

But my SO is on their waitlist, and I would like my SO to get in.

So...you know, consider not going, for me, your friend from the communication side of the academic world. Also for my SO, who is from the English-y parts.

Me too! What is their area of focus? I'm holding out hope, and I'll be sending positive vibes their way!

Me too! What is their area of focus? I'm holding out hope, and I'll be sending positive vibes their way!

20th/21st century American/Modernism/Postmodernism, I would say. 

Have any of you considered CompLit programs???    I was accepted to the MA @ SUNY Binghamton (no word on funding, yet), and wondered if anyone had any info about the school or program.

Did anyone else apply to UMass??? I applied for a Phd, but still haven't heard back ..

Did you apply to UMass for a Comp Lit Phd? I did too... and haven't a heard a thing. Am considering writing to them to find out, but don't know if I should. 

I am an international student, and did my MA in the UK. It's definitely pretty rare to get funding for overseas students. I got admission to a couple of great places, but no funding. Here's what one of my potential supervisors (who was also my MA supervisor) said regarding funding: Since the Government in the UK has cut back grants even more radically this year (while pretending that there are more) I think there is little hope of getting one anywhere in the UK. But some universities (though not UEA) do have private funding, so you might be lucky.  

Oxford and Cambridge probably fall in to the category of universities that have private funding. 

Regarding teaching experience, it's pretty rare. I have friends doing their PhDs now and if they do get experience it's mostly as Tutorial leaders or tutors, never anything more than that. You certainly can't create and teach your own course, which is something the programs I've got admission to in the US all allow you to do. 

Does anybody have any idea what's going on with Colorado? I read the results board from last year and apparently some offers went out at the end of March. Just wondering. 

Since the Government in the UK has cut back grants even more radically this year (while pretending that there are more) I think there is little hope of getting one anywhere in the UK. But some universities (though not UEA) do have private funding, so you might be lucky.  

This is both sad and interesting. I’m an American student and was accepted to a second MA in Film Studies at UEA for this upcoming semester. As of this morning, they've actually awarded me a half-tuition scholarship. I’m now wondering where those funds are coming from. 

I'm still waiting. Also, I had a question: does anyone look at NRC (? I think that's the name) rankings? They're on the chronicle's website. I've always used USNR, but I like NRC better statistically speaking (especially since USNR relies entirely on self-reporting). The interesting thing is that, if you organize by "s" and "r" high rankings, one of my schools is in the top 10-20 while in USNR, it's ranked 63rd. Wha. Another one I'm wait listed at is at 22 on the rankings but below the school I'm accepted at according to the chronicle "s" ranking. Of course, the NRC ones rank in a range, so perhaps it's best to rank them by lowest "s" and "r" rankings? In which case, the school in 63rd for USNR is still up there.

I just find it funny that things could be that drastically different. We've already talked about how rankings don't always mean anything, but it's especially funny because the "s" ranking is determined by figuring out which schools fit a certain number of more-or-less desirable qualities. From what I understand, anyway. My only encounter with statistics was in logic class.

I seriously don’t understand U of Washington’s notification process. Haha. Who else is still waiting to hear something?

I'm perplexed as well! My status is still "submitted and paid." I think someone posted on the results page last year (or the year before... I can't remember which even though I just left the page) about the process. They say "all UW admits are being made on a sliding basis as of a few weeks ago. 2/3 of applicants were initially declined. The final 1/3 are being sifted through until all spots are filled. The committee wasn't scheduled to start meeting regarding funding decisions until 3/18/13. They did say that as soon as their admission decisions are made, the online profile is automatically updated, so that will be your first notification."

I'm not sure that really helps, Kamisha, but I feel your confusion!

I'm perplexed as well! My status is still "submitted and paid." I think someone posted on the results page last year (or the year before... I can't remember which even though I just left the page) about the process. They say "all UW admits are being made on a sliding basis as of a few weeks ago. 2/3 of applicants were initially declined. The final 1/3 are being sifted through until all spots are filled. The committee wasn't scheduled to start meeting regarding funding decisions until 3/18/13. They did say that as soon as their admission decisions are made, the online profile is automatically updated, so that will be your first notification."

I'm not sure that really helps, Kamisha, but I feel your confusion!

Your an absolute gem. This is hugely helpful. 

Got my rejection today so I was able to make my acceptance at Villanova official this afternoon :) very excited.

WOOHOO!!!!! Villanova is going to be so awesome. And think--with that fellowship, you won’t have to financially struggle for the next two years like most grad students. :)

WOOHOO!!!!! Villanova is going to be so awesome. And think--with that fellowship, you won’t have to financially struggle for the next two years like most grad students. :)

I'm seriously so excited. I booked a flight already and am going to look for apartments in early April. I really think an MA was the right path for me, even though I am a little disappointed I didn't get into any PhD programs. And I know; that fellowship is going to make my life much easier. It was totally unforeseen.. I've been so lucky. Thanks for being so excited for me :)

Edited by despejado

I'm seriously so excited. I booked a flight already and am going to look for apartments in early April. I really think an MA was the right path for me, even though I am a little disappointed I didn't get into any PhD programs. And I know; that fellowship is going to make my life much easier. It was totally unforeseen.. I've been so lucky. Thanks for being so excited for me :)

I think we’re all pretty excited for you! We need to get started on our comic book. 

I have a UK MA question: I got into a uni abroad and am waiting on funding. It doesn't mention when to submit an answer as to whether or not I'm accepting. Would it be inappropriate to email the coordinator and ask? I just need to sort funding options out and finish up my degree!

I have a UK MA question: I got into a uni abroad and am waiting on funding. It doesn't mention when to submit an answer as to whether or not I'm accepting. Would it be inappropriate to email the coordinator and ask? I just need to sort funding options out and finish up my degree!

Most UK schools have very late acceptance deadlines. UEA’s isn’t until July 31st and I remember from my first go-around (two years ago) that just about every school didn’t have a deadline to accept/decline until mid-June at the earliest. I don’t think it would be inappropriate to email the coordinator if you are concerned.