Fall 2014 applicants??

I posted once here ages ago, and then stopped using the forums for a bit. But I got all my applications in for Fall 2014 and I think I'm going to be accepting an offer to attend Northwestern this fall. Anyone else heading that way? The only part of the US I've ever been to is California (Im from NZ) so Im as nervous as hell, but hopefully it will be a good choice!

I'm deciding between UConn and Tufts, and am leaning towards Tufts, but I'm visiting UConn next week to finalize my decision, make sure I give them both a chance. 

That's exactly how I feel about U Oregon and U Florida. 

I posted once here ages ago, and then stopped using the forums for a bit. But I got all my applications in for Fall 2014 and I think I'm going to be accepting an offer to attend Northwestern this fall. Anyone else heading that way? The only part of the US I've ever been to is California (Im from NZ) so Im as nervous as hell, but hopefully it will be a good choice!

I didn't apply to Northwestern, but I grew up about 45 minutes from Chicago and I've spent quite a lot of time there. It's a pretty great city overall. The weather in California is definitely better in my opinion, but as long as you prepare for some windy, snowwy months, you should be fine hehe.

Congrats!

I've never been to the school, but Chicago is pretty awesome.  Weather's not as nice as CA, but it's a super interesting city.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

I didn't apply to Northwestern, but I grew up about 45 minutes from Chicago and I've spent quite a lot of time there. It's a pretty great city overall. The weather in California is definitely better in my opinion, but as long as you prepare for some windy, snowwy months, you should be fine hehe.

Thanks to you both! Yeah, the weather is one of the only cons about going there. Guess I'll just have to invest in a down coat and some snow boots :)

Coat and boots are a must.  Also goes without saying, a good gloves/hat set.  Also stock up on business-casual clothes for all temperatures.  The summers can get pretty muggy, and winter and spring can be pretty damp and chilly.

But that aside, it's great.  The midwest is a lovely place with lovely people.

About Georgetown

D just now told me which associateships she had applied for, basically all but the last, which was more about poetry and she did not feel it was a strength for her. She has been working as a writing consultant for 3.5 years and ultimately wants to work in editing. Oh well. Congratulations to anyone that got/gets the funding. 

About Georgetown

D just now told me which associateships she had applied for, basically all but the last, which was more about poetry and she did not feel it was a strength for her. She has been working as a writing consultant for 3.5 years and ultimately wants to work in editing. Oh well. Congratulations to anyone that got/gets the funding. 

Thank you for the update. I applied specifically for the Continuing Studies and Community Scholars associateships. Congratulations on the acceptances! And best of luck as you all work on making final decisions!

Has anyone considered accepting unfunded offers in the hopes of finding other methods of funding between April-August?

Coat and boots are a must.  Also goes without saying, a good gloves/hat set.  Also stock up on business-casual clothes for all temperatures.  The summers can get pretty muggy, and winter and spring can be pretty damp and chilly.

But that aside, it's great.  The midwest is a lovely place with lovely people.

Thanks! I think as long as I can get a well heated apartment (as well as a warm wardrobe) I will be fine. Looking forward to it!

I'm really excited about UConn- recently learned that they are Among the top 5 in the country for placement. They form a whole committee dedicated to helping you be a good candidate.

Also, I made friends with someone who I think will be a good friend once I go there. We already text! Always fun. :) I'm going to wait before I accept just because we're going to make sure my fiancée will still have options if I go there.

Decisions decisions!

I'm really excited about UConn- recently learned that they are Among the top 5 in the country for placement. They form a whole committee dedicated to helping you be a good candidate.

Also, I made friends with someone who I think will be a good friend once I go there. We already text! Always fun. :) I'm going to wait before I accept just because we're going to make sure my fiancée will still have options if I go there.

Decisions decisions!

That's so exciting! Have you heard anything from WSU at all? I haven't and I'm starting to get antsy! Part of me is tempted to email Will Hamlin and ask him how realistic the possibility is from moving off the waitlist but the other (more rational) part of me is telling myself to just wait it out.

Decisions decisions!

I wish had visited last week!

Decisions decisions!

I'm visiting this week. How did you find out about their top 5 ranking? I'm just curious to see other ranks too. But wow, a dedicated committee? That is impressive. 

I'm visiting this week. How did you find out about their top 5 ranking? I'm just curious to see other ranks too. But wow, a dedicated committee? That is impressive.

The info comes from the NRC rankings of English PhD programs. You can find the general program rankings by searching google for NRC english PhD rankings, but they don't publish all the details unless you have a subscription. I happen to work in the admin at my current program so I was able to pick the brains of a few people with subscriptions to it who are very invested in rankings. As a sidenote, if you go to the NRC general rankings and go through the various criteria, UConn is actually pretty high up there for a lot of the "high" end rankings compared to its position on USNR (which can't be statistically significant because it narrowly focuses on self-reporting as the single criteria). I think rankings are generally bull anyway (even NRC who approached it in a way that was more statistically significant) once you're not talking about the ivies and obvious R1 institutions, but eh.

The committee I mentioned does sound too good to be true--when you visit, make sure to ask about job placement to make sure I understood properly. But that's what I remember Prof. Mahoney saying--it starts with your comps committee, who then become your dissertation committee (with some changes) who then become your job placement committee.

As yet another sidenote, UConn has also begun building a "college town" right outside of campus that includes Insomnia Cookies (look them up if you haven't heard of them; best business ever), more cafes, restaurants, etc. They're trying to beat that middle of nowhere rap, haha.

It's still the middle of nowhere and sometimes the campus smells like cows, but there you go.

Thank you so much for this information! I'll make sure to double check (I totally believe you, but it just sounds so amazing) and report back. This is making my decision harder. 

Anybody else waiting to hear back from Colorado? Seems insane I haven't heard anything yet considering I submitted my application on December 15. 

I haven't heard a peep, either. I doubt we'll hear before the 15th.

Just got into my dream school off of the waitlist. I'm moving to Albuquerque!

Thank you to everyone who has been there for me from this site for the past three months. Seriously, you guys are the greatest. 

Congratulations! That is so wonderful!!!

Thank you to everyone who has been there for me from this site for the past three months. Seriously, you guys are the greatest.

Yay!! So happy for you!

Congratulations!!! So awesome!!