Fall 2014 applicants??

Technically a Tufts Jumbo, which sounds even sillier. Welcome!

Thank you! Now just to find a place to live. I'm checking Craigslist and panicking that I won't be able to find a place.

This is weird question but does anyone know any resources on loan repayment or budgeting techniques? I'm trying to figure out how to budget best so that when I get out of my PhD program and have a grace period I am not panicking about my loans (I'm sure I will anyway). I'm also trying to figure out the requirements to release a cosigner (which I know is subject to Sallie Mae rules) but if anyone has advice, please pm me or just reply here.

Thank you! Now just to find a place to live. I'm checking Craigslist and panicking that I won't be able to find a place.

Most stuff begins going on the market the first of June. It's an aggressive market for sure, but it can be done without completely losing your mind and you have some time.

Getting incredibly stressed out over having to choose between two MA programs that I'll have to pay for, and the merits of a one year program (less time and money) and a two year program (more experience, time to learn, make myself a better PhD applicant, etc). They're both relatively prestigious programs, and from what I understand the MA students generally go on to funded PhDs there or elsewhere. 

Also beginning to reconsider my academic focus. Because so many people are going into contemporary lit and media, I'm thinking it might be better for me to take my background in medieval history, and use an MA program as a way to develop and deepen my knowledge of medieval lit, simply because there are fewer medievalists out there than those focused on modern lit. The two year program (which will be twice as much money as the one year program) seems like it would the better place to pursue medieval lit.

Tough decision to be made in the next few weeks!!

Getting incredibly stressed out over having to choose between two MA programs that I'll have to pay for, and the merits of a one year program (less time and money) and a two year program (more experience, time to learn, make myself a better PhD applicant, etc). They're both relatively prestigious programs, and from what I understand the MA students generally go on to funded PhDs there or elsewhere. 

Also beginning to reconsider my academic focus. Because so many people are going into contemporary lit and media, I'm thinking it might be better for me to take my background in medieval history, and use an MA program as a way to develop and deepen my knowledge of medieval lit, simply because there are fewer medievalists out there than those focused on modern lit. The two year program (which will be twice as much money as the one year program) seems like it would the better place to pursue medieval lit.

Tough decision to be made in the next few weeks!!

That does sound like an incredibly tough decision to make! I'm not sure if I have any insight to offer, but I just wanted to comment on something that you mentioned. From what I understood, there might be fewer medievalists, but there are also fewer jobs in that field. If you are really drawn to contemporary lit, I wouldn't abandon that interest because of more jobs in one field or another. 

As a medievalist, I agree with HJ. It seems to me that opportunities for medievalists like are slightly below average, but I also know that the academic medieval community is thriving right now, and even that I feel is an understatement. As I'm just about to commit to an English Ph.D program with an exceptional medieval department (and full Ph.D track focused on interdisciplinary medieval studies), I feel as though it's all about what you make of it. Whatever you do, give it 100% of your focus, whether it be medieval or contemporary. 

Also, as I'm about to come out of a two year MA program, I can't emphasize how much a two year program can help you. I turned down a one year program in the UK at a good school to come to a two year at a school that's considered mediocre; originally, I regretted this but now I know it was essential to my personal academic career. I know people should do what works for them, but from my experience a two year MA gives you a year to learn more about the academe, theory, and figure out what it is you want to do (medieval, contemporary, what theories you want to "specialize" in, etc.) and a year to really focus those things into a thesis. It also means the people writing letters for you to Ph.D programs have known you for a year and a half and that you're applying to Ph.D programs with a year and a half of study under your belt. You also will know more about what you want to do because you're likely actively writing or planning your thesis at that point, which can be helpful in honing in on your future goals. Some of my statement of purpose was borrowed from my thesis abstract and some pre-writing. 

Also, has anyone turning down offers in order to attend another school felt really nervous about doing so? I'm about to turn down an offer and I can't get over the "what if's" I have stuck in my mind. What if all the sudden the other school is like "jk lol we dont want u"? I don't think it's realistic, but in my mind I'm terrified that something will fall through. I'm still waiting for the letter of acceptance from the graduate college, and I think that's part of it. My POI told me it would be a few weeks as I was offered a spot from the waitlist. Should I wake to decline admission at the other school until I have the graduate college admissions letter, or is the department enough? 

I totally share the "what if they change their minds?" paranoia. It's hard to balance the desire to be considerate of wait-listers with the desire to have everything signed, sealed, delivered before turning down other offers. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting until you've gotten the official offer from graduate admissions. This process is stressful and scary, and we have every right to take our time with it. Yes, fears of "jk we don't want you" are unrealistic. But that doesn't change the feeling. So why do something you know will stress you out when you don't have to? 

As a medievalist, I agree with HJ. It seems to me that opportunities for medievalists like are slightly below average, but I also know that the academic medieval community is thriving right now, and even that I feel is an understatement. As I'm just about to commit to an English Ph.D program with an exceptional medieval department (and full Ph.D track focused on interdisciplinary medieval studies), I feel as though it's all about what you make of it. Whatever you do, give it 100% of your focus, whether it be medieval or contemporary. 

Also, as I'm about to come out of a two year MA program, I can't emphasize how much a two year program can help you. I turned down a one year program in the UK at a good school to come to a two year at a school that's considered mediocre; originally, I regretted this but now I know it was essential to my personal academic career. I know people should do what works for them, but from my experience a two year MA gives you a year to learn more about the academe, theory, and figure out what it is you want to do (medieval, contemporary, what theories you want to "specialize" in, etc.) and a year to really focus those things into a thesis. It also means the people writing letters for you to Ph.D programs have known you for a year and a half and that you're applying to Ph.D programs with a year and a half of study under your belt. You also will know more about what you want to do because you're likely actively writing or planning your thesis at that point, which can be helpful in honing in on your future goals. Some of my statement of purpose was borrowed from my thesis abstract and some pre-writing. 

Was your MA funded or unfunded, if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking from some perspective from people who got unfunded MAs--whether or not they thought it was worth it, money-wise, and if they think it's paid off for them so far. I get TERRIFIED when I see advice like "never pay for an MA in English," even though the vast majority of MA programs are unfunded.

As far as my choice of my field goes, I did receive some interesting advice from a prof at a program I visited last week. She mentioned how I'd really be able to incorporate medievalism and contemporary lit and media into my future research, if I really wanted to, considering the vast amount of contemporary lit and media borrowing from medieval history and literature. (She then went on to mention an Arthurian legends course she sometimes teaches which sounds amazing, but very likely wouldn't be offered during my one year stint in the program. Disappointing.)

I did a funded MA, which I highly recommend. When I applied to MAs in 2012, I applied to eight of them and they all were funded positions. I highly, highly recommend attending a funded program as it will save you tons later, especially if you go on to a Ph.D. I would be happy to send you the list of schools I applied to if you're considering going through the MA process again. (Also, good luck with Case! I'm an Ohio native and Case is a fantastic school in a really neat area. Cleveland is the best, go Tribe!) 

I think the idea of medieval narratives being reimagined is really popular right now--I know there are people doing it at Oregon and New Mexico, especially. I do think a two year MA gives you time to think about those things, though, which is necessary. I thought I was sure I knew what I wanted to do when I finished my BA and started my MA, but it was a joke. Your MA helps you figure out your interests, and that's the most important part of attending. You might think you know what you want to do, but until you really get into the MA setting and get a feel for what's happening in your field, it's all a wash. That's just my opinion, though I will say I have had a successful Ph.D application season and am going to an awesome medieval Ph.D program. 

Also, to CanIHave: being neurotic, I called the enrollment/admissions office which showed me as officially accepted as of Thursday and the letter in the mail (I got the department acceptance on Tuesday). Looks like I'm good to go! Thanks for empathizing, though! 

Okay, for whatever reason, this lengthier response I was typing disappeared (sigh), but the gist of it was that I would recommend you consider turning down all the offers and reapplying this fall with a focus on funded MA programs.  I did a partially funded one-year MA, and I actually really enjoyed the program, learned a ton, and am a much better scholar and writer now, but I'm also a much poorer one.  If I had known there were funded MA programs, I wouldn't have gone the unfunded route.  

As for the one or two year option, I think one year is enough, if you're not teaching, to do coursework and write a thesis, especially if the school is on a quarter system, but you can't really apply for Ph.D. programs during the one-year MA.  You would apply the year after, and then you'd have the MA in hand, a complete and oft-revised thesis, good connections with letter writers, and probably be working during what would be the second year of a two-year MA.  In the two-year program, you'd be applying without the complete thesis and while doing all the work an MA program requires.  The quality of your applications might be better in the first situation (one-year MA and apply the year after) if for no other reason than you probably would have more time to work on the applications.

As far as subfield focus, I do late medieval/early modern (primarily early modern but the 15th century is a good example of why periodization so often fails), and I can confirm that as awesome and vibrant as the med/EM subfields are, the number of jobs is also quite a bit lower than modernists.  These subfields are often reduced by colleges when faculty retire.  Basically, you're not getting out of any problems by switching to an earlier subfield.  I wouldn't change a subfield for a potential future job, especially when the job field is as dismal as it is for all subfields.  Follow your interests, wherever and whenever they lead you.  It certainly is true, though, that you could focus on the medieval in the modern.  That is a strong and vibrant area of work.  Check out the Babel Group for examples of that work.  

Was your MA funded or unfunded, if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking from some perspective from people who got unfunded MAs--whether or not they thought it was worth it, money-wise, and if they think it's paid off for them so far. I get TERRIFIED when I see advice like "never pay for an MA in English," even though the vast majority of MA programs are unfunded.

As far as my choice of my field goes, I did receive some interesting advice from a prof at a program I visited last week. She mentioned how I'd really be able to incorporate medievalism and contemporary lit and media into my future research, if I really wanted to, considering the vast amount of contemporary lit and media borrowing from medieval history and literature. (She then went on to mention an Arthurian legends course she sometimes teaches which sounds amazing, but very likely wouldn't be offered during my one year stint in the program. Disappointing.)

I did an unfunded MA and I do think it was worth it. I had never heard of funded MAs before I got here, which sounds idiotic probably, but I had a huge gap between my undergrad and deciding to return to school so I was sort of starting from square one. In retrospect, I wish that I had done more research because who knows if I would have found a funded spot that would've worked for me. However, given the short amount of time between when I decided to apply and deadlines, my own personal circumstances (divorce, massive job stress, issues with my last year of undergrad that brought down my gpa, needing to stay relatively near my family, faculty fit etc.) my program worked for me. I was able to live in a lovely place, somewhat near my family, on a campus that provided the diversity I need with professors that were downright awesome. I really feel like my advisors are the reason I got into the places that I did this season. I have learned so much and I feel well prepared to take on the PhD. I was glad that I had the time to work on my ideas and interests when I was talking to some of the professors I've had the pleasure of meeting during my campus visits. I expected to be tongue-tied or not have anything to say to professors at prospective programs but I actually felt able to hold my own which went a long way towards deciding whether or not a particular PhD program is the right one for me. 

I also *just* woke up so I'm sorry if this is coming out garbled. ;)

{edited to follow proflorax's excellent example: my unfunded MA wasn't such a huge financial burden that I'll never recover. I'm also CA resident who took advantage of cheap in-state tuition, plus I also worked as a TA and a tutor, and my bf was living with me which reduced expenses. I also switched sub-fields based on my program, started as an aspiring Victorianist and transitioned to a focus on transnational anglophone literature and a bit of cultural studies as well.  :) }

Edited by Nyctophile

In the funded versus unfunded MA debate, I think it's important to acknowledge that not all unfunded MA's are the same. I did a two year unfunded MA at SF State; however, as a CA resident, my tuition was under $4,000 a year, most of which the Cal Grant covered. I applied for and received a fellowship for my second year, which, coupled with the Cal Grant, covered all of my tuition and then some. I worked part-time and took out small student loans to cover living expenses (because living in San Francisco is hella expensive!), but I imagine that folks with funded MA's in expensive cities may have to do the same. andromache, this may not be applicable for you, but I wanted to put this out there for another gradcafers who are considering attending or applying to unfunded state programs. Everyone, though, should always do the math before they accept an offer. 

Lastly, I found my two year MA program to be immensely helpful. I learned so much about myself and my interests; I had the opportunity to take classes with several professors, three of whom would end up writing me letters of recommendation. I tutored in the Learning Center my second year, where I discovered my interest in composition. My interests developed so much in those two years because of the classes, personal relationships, and professional opportunities I pursued and fostered. In fact, I entered as an American lit student and left as a rhetoric and composition scholar. 

Also, has anyone turning down offers in order to attend another school felt really nervous about doing so? I'm about to turn down an offer and I can't get over the "what if's" I have stuck in my mind. What if all the sudden the other school is like "jk lol we dont want u"? I don't think it's realistic, but in my mind I'm terrified that something will fall through. I'm still waiting for the letter of acceptance from the graduate college, and I think that's part of it. My POI told me it would be a few weeks as I was offered a spot from the waitlist. Should I wake to decline admission at the other school until I have the graduate college admissions letter, or is the department enough? 

Um, yes. This is exactly where I am right now. I'm pretty much decided but I feel like if I start to make it official and decline my other options something bad is bound to happen as soon as I do. It's completely irrational but also terrifying. Still, I'm trying to be a big girl by just biting the bullet and writing the requisite emails right now. 

Okay, for whatever reason, this lengthier response I was typing disappeared (sigh), but the gist of it was that I would recommend you consider turning down all the offers and reapplying this fall with a focus on funded MA programs.  I did a partially funded one-year MA, and I actually really enjoyed the program, learned a ton, and am a much better scholar and writer now, but I'm also a much poorer one.  If I had known there were funded MA programs, I wouldn't have gone the unfunded route.  

As for the one or two year option, I think one year is enough, if you're not teaching, to do coursework and write a thesis, especially if the school is on a quarter system, but you can't really apply for Ph.D. programs during the one-year MA.  You would apply the year after, and then you'd have the MA in hand, a complete and oft-revised thesis, good connections with letter writers, and probably be working during what would be the second year of a two-year MA.  In the two-year program, you'd be applying without the complete thesis and while doing all the work an MA program requires.  The quality of your applications might be better in the first situation (one-year MA and apply the year after) if for no other reason than you probably would have more time to work on the applications.

As far as subfield focus, I do late medieval/early modern (primarily early modern but the 15th century is a good example of why periodization so often fails), and I can confirm that as awesome and vibrant as the med/EM subfields are, the number of jobs is also quite a bit lower than modernists.  These subfields are often reduced by colleges when faculty retire.  Basically, you're not getting out of any problems by switching to an earlier subfield.  I wouldn't change a subfield for a potential future job, especially when the job field is as dismal as it is for all subfields.  Follow your interests, wherever and whenever they lead you.  It certainly is true, though, that you could focus on the medieval in the modern.  That is a strong and vibrant area of work.  Check out the Babel Group for examples of that work.  

I would definitely be reapplying next year if I had steady income at the moment. As it is, I'm working two part time jobs (one of which ends this summer), and I'm in a small town where there aren't many opportunities for employment utilizing my degree. I'm desperate to be back in school, which makes me much more inclined to accept an unfunded offer--although I also realize that "desperation" might not be a good reason to take on tens of thousands of dollars in debt. But I don't think I will be able to drastically improve my applications for next fall. If I take another year off, and all I receive are more unfunded offers, I'll be incredibly disappointed.

I should also note that the one year program I am considering does not have a thesis option, which may make it less suitable for me because of how important completing a thesis is on PhD applications.

I'm currently waitlisted for a funded MA, and wondering if I'll make it off the wait list is killing me. 

I should also note that the one year program I am considering does not have a thesis option, which may make it less suitable for me because of how important completing a thesis is on PhD applications.

Point of clarification: completing a thesis is not important for PhD applications. Writing one can be a good experience, but most programs won't know you completed one unless you note it on your SoP. I only briefly mentioned mine, as it had little to do with what I ended up wanting to study. Having a great writing sample, letter of recs, and a statement of purpose are the most important. Go to the program that will best help you you rock those (and will not bankrupt you!). 

In support of the two year MA, I did an independent study the first semester of my second year, in another department, and it...kind of ended up steering me into a completely different boat.  Still medieval, but it brought up other avenues of study.

And according to the gist I got on my campus visit, it was that sub-interest that really caught their interest.

Not to say that this can't happen in a year, but I do think having two years to explore is really helpful.  See how much of the costs you could offset.

Best of luck!

Did anyone get a Georgetown financial aid review message??? I cannot access it because I'm having problems with my password and have called then and waiting to hear back, but I'm wondering what it is!!! I figure funding they call, so I'm not too optimistic but the curiosity is killing me.

Not April Foolsing here...Today, April 1st, is my birthday. Do you know how I’m spending it? Pulling an all-nighter to finish writing a chapter of my thesis, attending a meeting to help organize an undergrad English symposium, teaching a class, and then immediately settling down to edit another chapter of my thesis.

Grad school sucks. Haha. I want cake. 

Not April Foolsing here...Today, April 1st, is my birthday. Do you know how I’m spending it? Pulling an all-nighter to finish writing a chapter of my thesis, attending a meeting to help organize an undergrad English symposium, teaching a class, and then immediately settling down to edit another chapter of my thesis.

Grad school sucks. Haha. I want cake.

Happy Birthday Kamisha!

*passes over virtual cake*