Fall 2014 applicants??

Not April Foolsing here...Today, April 1st, is my birthday. Do you know how I’m spending it? Pulling an all-nighter to finish writing a chapter of my thesis, attending a meeting to help organize an undergrad English symposium, teaching a class, and then immediately settling down to edit another chapter of my thesis.

Grad school sucks. Haha. I want cake.

Happy Birthday!! Find time to cram in at least a cupcake and maybe a phone call to your parents.

Not April Foolsing here...Today, April 1st, is my birthday. Do you know how I’m spending it? Pulling an all-nighter to finish writing a chapter of my thesis, attending a meeting to help organize an undergrad English symposium, teaching a class, and then immediately settling down to edit another chapter of my thesis.

An April 1st birthday... boo! That sucks, it only comes once every four years.

happybirthday.3gif.gif

Wow so I applied to a MA program in late January and up until today the application status has been complete and no decision and now it says incomplete. Apparently I never sent them my GRE general scores. They never told me this so I just assumed when it said complete that I had sent in everything. I even emailed the department a month ago inquiring as to when I would get an admissions decision and they said nothing about it.

I'm a dummy. 

You guys, Boulder updated admissions results!

April fools. 

This is how I feel about UW! Am I the only one that still hasn't heard from them? Granted, I've already accepted an offer - at Tufts! yay! - so I'm not bothered by it, but it still seems pretty crazy that they haven't notified everyone yet.

Edited by jaymarais

Also, to CanIHave: being neurotic, I called the enrollment/admissions office which showed me as officially accepted as of Thursday and the letter in the mail (I got the department acceptance on Tuesday). Looks like I'm good to go! Thanks for empathizing, though! 

ArthurianChaucerian: Welcome to Albuquerque! :) I'm finishing undergrad at UNM this semester. Let me know if you have any questions about New Mexico!

Did anyone get a Georgetown financial aid review message??? I cannot access it because I'm having problems with my password and have called then and waiting to hear back, but I'm wondering what it is!!! I figure funding they call, so I'm not too optimistic but the curiosity is killing me.

andrewcycs: Hold onto optimism!! Are you waiting to hear from any other schools?

Edited by storypetals

Storypetals,

I am planning on going to the MA program at Rochester with half tuition, so I'm completely content. Just a fully funded offer form Georgetown would be quite a kick. :D

I'm so looking forward to Rochester. I'm falling in love with the idea and preparing for the snow. Also, sidebar, does anyone know if it's a problem to take community college classes before enrolling in the graduate program at Rochester. I imagine not, but I was originally a transfer student to UCLA and they have all kinds of stipulations on how many classes you can take at community college. I just need something to occupy my mind for the next 6 months since I graduated!

Those of you who are on waitlists, are you planning on contacting the departments now that the cruellest month has rolled around?

I sent a snail mail letter expressing my continued interest and reiterating how I'd 'fit' with their department. A couple friends in very good top 10-20 programs did this and got in off their waitlists. They encouraged me to do it, despite my fear of seeming pushy. 

I sent a snail mail letter expressing my continued interest and reiterating how I'd 'fit' with their department. A couple friends in very good top 10-20 programs did this and got in off their waitlists. They encouraged me to do it, despite my fear of seeming pushy. 

Hmm, that's a good idea. I've already sent an email to the DGS asking when they might start to notify waitlisted candidates and telling them it's my top choice, but I didn't reiterate my fit with the program. Do you think it would be worthwhile to send a physical letter also, or would that be overkill at this point?

Hmm, that's a good idea. I've already sent an email to the DGS asking when they might start to notify waitlisted candidates and telling them it's my top choice, but I didn't reiterate my fit with the program. Do you think it would be worthwhile to send a physical letter also, or would that be overkill at this point?

Someone on the Waitlisted thread offered this link: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/graduate-school-road-map/2013/02/22/how-to-handle-being-wait-listed-for-graduate-school

I'm not sure that I agree with some of these ideas, but the author definitely mentions sending a note or letter.

Did anyone here apply to U of Georgia?  They sent out acceptances almost a month ago, and I haven't seen anything about rejections on the results board.

I've already accepted an offer, so it's not a big deal, but I'd really like to know.  Also, I got an Email telling me I should register for university housing there, which was...confusing.  Wondering if I'm the only one waiting in this weird limbo.  I know some people had issues last year, where they called and were basically told "if you were in, we would have contacted you," so I'm hesitant to call.  But I just want to know where everything fell this year.

So, this is awkward. I was in the midst of scheduling a visit to one of the schools I was accepted to and, before confirming my visit, I found out that I was accepted off of the wait list to a school that would mean that my fiancé and I don't have to live apart for another year--the location was one of the main reasons I applied to this school, but I never dreamed I would be accepted. Within 24 hours of finding out, I emailed the first school to let them know that I would likely not be visiting and needed to talk to my family about this new position. The DGS was very gracious and offered me the weekend to think about it. By Monday morning, I had decided to forgo visiting the school because I knew the odds were slim to none that I would attend, mainly because of my fiancé's career. I responded to the kind email by the DGS with an equally heartfelt email expressing my decision and letting the department know that it was mainly related to geography. I was very sincere and complimentary of the program, and expressed disappointment of not attending. 

I sent this email about a week and a half ago and it has gone unanswered. I know that it has been read, or else the DGS would have emailed me to see if I was going to end up visiting or not. I called the office and asked if the DGS was around two days after I sent the email, but he was out of the office at the time I called. I figured I would give him a few days to respond, but now that it has been over a week I'm not sure of what to do. Do I just leave it, knowing that he obviously saw the email, and let it go, or should I follow up yet again? My reason for emailing in the first place was because I was extremely ill and had completely lost my voice--I expressed in the first email to him that I hated email, but knew calling would be futile. I just feel like he's "angry" or something for my decision. I hadn't been in contact with any POI at the institution, so there is no one else for me to email. Thoughts? Has anyone else had something like this happen before? It feels super unprofessional--even my thesis advisor was taken aback when I told her. 

Would it be rude and pushy of me to contact the admissions department again if I emailed them a month ago? At the time, I was told that a decision had yet to be made on my application. We're now five days out from April 15. I don't want them to think I'm insane, but this is crazy. 

Is it possible that I won't hear from a school before April 15 if I'm waitlisted? I've seen rejections and acceptances on the results board. I'm guessing that I'm waitlisted, but I really have no idea. Both the rejections and acceptances are over a month old (beginning of March). 

I'm trying to decide whether I should just wait it out or send a brief e-mail checking in on status.

Send in an e-mail! It's just before the deadline, that seems appropriate.

I ended up sending an email and got a quick response. The DGS's assistant told me that my application was still under consideration and that she hoped to be able to get me more information in the near future. So... I'm pretty much in the same position I was before I asked. :\

So, this is awkward. I was in the midst of scheduling a visit to one of the schools I was accepted to and, before confirming my visit, I found out that I was accepted off of the wait list to a school that would mean that my fiancé and I don't have to live apart for another year--the location was one of the main reasons I applied to this school, but I never dreamed I would be accepted. Within 24 hours of finding out, I emailed the first school to let them know that I would likely not be visiting and needed to talk to my family about this new position. The DGS was very gracious and offered me the weekend to think about it. By Monday morning, I had decided to forgo visiting the school because I knew the odds were slim to none that I would attend, mainly because of my fiancé's career. I responded to the kind email by the DGS with an equally heartfelt email expressing my decision and letting the department know that it was mainly related to geography. I was very sincere and complimentary of the program, and expressed disappointment of not attending.

I sent this email about a week and a half ago and it has gone unanswered. I know that it has been read, or else the DGS would have emailed me to see if I was going to end up visiting or not. I called the office and asked if the DGS was around two days after I sent the email, but he was out of the office at the time I called. I figured I would give him a few days to respond, but now that it has been over a week I'm not sure of what to do. Do I just leave it, knowing that he obviously saw the email, and let it go, or should I follow up yet again? My reason for emailing in the first place was because I was extremely ill and had completely lost my voice--I expressed in the first email to him that I hated email, but knew calling would be futile. I just feel like he's "angry" or something for my decision. I hadn't been in contact with any POI at the institution, so there is no one else for me to email. Thoughts? Has anyone else had something like this happen before? It feels super unprofessional--even my thesis advisor was taken aback when I told her.

I personally would let it go. I didn't receive a response to a sincere and heartfelt email I sent to decline an offer too, but I figured that the DGS is likely busy contacting the next applicant on the waitlist and wooing them, too. Regardless, congratulations on your acceptance and good luck!

I was in frequent contact with a POI at one of the programs that offered me admission, emails and phone calls both. She knew that I had a couple serious reservations about the school but I was trying to find ways to work around them. After speaking to my SO and family again I decided that this school just wasn't going to allow me the same sort of experience as another program would (even though I REEEEALLY want to work with that particular POI). So I declined admission and emailed the DGS, the POI who would have been my main advisor, and her colleague who also contacted me. I haven't heard a peep over the past week. The professors at a different program I declined all responded within the same day expressing regret and thanking me. So I totally feel like I've burnt bridges with the first school. I'm also trying to calm my paranoia by remembering that they might just be freaking busy at this time of year? I don't know, I don't have advice for you, just sympathy, lol.