Fall 2014 applicants??

Just got into my dream school off of the waitlist. I'm moving to Albuquerque!

Thank you to everyone who has been there for me from this site for the past three months. Seriously, you guys are the greatest. 

Woohoo! 

Thank you to everyone who has been there for me from this site for the past three months. Seriously, you guys are the greatest.

Way to go AC!!! I'm so happy for you! Tell us about it. Is there a certain prof you're hoping to work with? What were your research interests again? (Feel free to PM me these answers, I know it might be a bit... open on the boards. I'd just love to hear more about what you'll be doing at NM!)

Yay and congrats! Now it's time to happy dance! 

carlton-dance-o.gif

Quick question:  Has anyone actually been in contact with CU-Boulder about the silence?

I mean, I'm assuming everyone not accepted during the first round has been unofficially waitlisted, but I'm wondering if we emailed them if they could give us an indication of our chances...

Quick question:  Has anyone actually been in contact with CU-Boulder about the silence?

I mean, I'm assuming everyone not accepted during the first round has been unofficially waitlisted, but I'm wondering if we emailed them if they could give us an indication of our chances...

I emailed them on Monday and was told that they would be making decisions again after they heard back from the four they admitted. I asked if I could find out my placement on the waitlist and they said they didn't have rankings. I don't know what's going on with them. 

Anyone else have programs who sent no response emails at all? UC Riverside has made zero contact. I only found out about decisions through the GradCafe's results page and so I checked my application status. That was weeks ago and they have still sent no official email or letter. Makes me feel like I fell through the cracks and I regret the application fee. 

Am I being too sensitive or have other people encountered similar? 

Anyone else have programs who sent no response emails at all? UC Riverside has made zero contact. I only found out about decisions through the GradCafe's results page and so I checked my application status. That was weeks ago and they have still sent no official email or letter. Makes me feel like I fell through the cracks and I regret the application fee. 

I'm still waiting to hear from GWU. I finally emailed the DGS and never got a reply. So, I emailed the admissions folks and was told that my application is still under consideration. It's really frustrating, but I suspect this means I'm on a waitlist somewhere. I'm happy to wait it out for GWU, but I am definitely antsy at this point.

Perhaps you're waitlisted? Have you seen both admits and rejects for your school on the boards?

I emailed them on Monday and was told that they would be making decisions again after they heard back from the four they admitted. I asked if I could find out my placement on the waitlist and they said they didn't have rankings. I don't know what's going on with them.

Thank you, that's actually super helpful! I'm just going to pretend like it's a rejection.

According to Heidi Hackel and the office assistant (whose name I can’t remember), all offers and waitlist offers for Riverside have been extended. There have been delays in the grad school office itself in sending out rejections. Dr. Hackel specifically said that the backlog of rejections may take weeks to get out.  Sorry! 

Officially accepted my offer from the University of East Anglia! :)

As hard as it was to turn down my couple of PhD offers, I think having a second MA in Film Studies (which I can complete in 8-10 months) from an internationally ranked program is going to open up a lot of options for programs that I hadn’t previously considered. Also, now that I know where I went wrong with this years’ applications, I’m optimistic that I’ll get into PhD programs that I’m more enthusiastic about next year. 

Woohoo! :)

Edited by Kamisha

Officially accepted my offer from the University of East Anglia! :)

As hard as it was to turn down my couple of PhD offers, I think having a second MA in Film Studies (which I can complete in 8-10 months) from an internationally ranked program is going to open up a lot of options for programs that I hadn’t previously considered. Also, now that I know where I went wrong with this years’ applications, I’m optimistic that I’ll get into PhD programs that I’m more enthusiastic about next year. 

Woohoo! :)

Way to go, Kamisha! I'm sure it was a tough decision to turn down those PhD offers, but it sounds like you have things figured out for yourself. And hey, you'll be a double-MA when you're done! :D

Finished up my visit for the MA at CMU. It seems like a great program, and I could really love the faculty. Still very put off by the fact that it is only a one year MA--I won't be taking as many courses as I would in a two year MA, and since only a few course offerings are available each semester, it really limits my possible coursework overall. However, half the cost of a two year MA.

I'll just have to wait and see how my visit at Fordham goes next week!

I'm visiting Thursday morning! I've been in touch with Martine Stern about visiting (wasn't sure who else to contact?), and mentioned wanting to meet current students and probably Dr. Cahill, since he's the DGS and that's probably a good person for me to talk to XD. I'm hoping I get the opportunities to ask all my questions and figure out if Fordham is worth the huge amount in loans I'll need to take out to go, although hopefully work on campus/tutoring will be able to reduce that.

Edited: Oops, originally said Wednesday, but I'm actually visiting Thursday, the 3rd.

Edited by andromache

I'm visiting Thursday morning! I've been in touch with Martine Stern about visiting (wasn't sure who else to contact?), and mentioned wanting to meet current students and probably Dr. Cahill, since he's the DGS and that's probably a good person for me to talk to XD. I'm hoping I get the opportunities to ask all my questions and figure out if Fordham is worth the huge amount in loans I'll need to take out to go, although hopefully work on campus/tutoring will be able to reduce that.

Edited: Oops, originally said Wednesday, but I'm actually visiting Thursday, the 3rd.

Yeah, the on campus positions help waylay the cost a lot, though you usually need more than one b/c of NYC's cost. I work on campus from Thursdays and I'm sure my boss would be fine with me stepping out to meet you at least briefly. Let me know what your schedule will look like!

Yeah, the on campus positions help waylay the cost a lot, though you usually need more than one b/c of NYC's cost. I work on campus from Thursdays and I'm sure my boss would be fine with me stepping out to meet you at least briefly. Let me know what your schedule will look like!

I have nooo idea what my schedule will be because they haven't given me one? Though I'm planning on arriving around 10 am and staying for a couple of hours, that's all I know for right now. And thank you!