Fall 2014 applicants??

I would treat SOP word requirements, especially if any indications are provided, fairly seriously. The SOP is not only an expression of yourself as a future scholar; it's also an indicator that you can put together an excellent project proposal (something academics will be doing for the entirety of their professional careers). On a more practical level, yours will just be one among dozens of SOPs being read. Why needlessly provoke possible irritation with a document that flagrantly exceeds what's requested? 

I'm not trying to be rude, but what do you expect to happen once you get to grad school?  What fresh new kind of "bullshit" lies ahead?  A lot of people have talked about having even 4 or 5 different versions of an SOP.  Cutting words is not the most difficult process in the world.

Every single professor Ive spoken too has said not to worry about those word limits. Hell I even sent my SOP to a professor at one of the schools Im applying to, which asks for 300-500 words (mine was like 670), and dude said it was amazing and asked me to submit it with only a few minor changes. I've always looked at it like this. If you have a 600 word SOP and they only want 500, by the time they get to the fifth hundred word in your statement, if they are really interested in you and want you, they will read 100 more words. If they stop reading at 500, well then your statement sucks, and they werent going to admit you anyway even if you did make their limit. If your not compelling enough to make someone read three more sentences, then how compelling and successful would your research really be anyway? Plus, I wouldnt want to go to a school that rejected me off such a miniscule reason anyway.

Every single professor Ive spoken too has said not to worry about those word limits. Hell I even sent my SOP to a professor at one of the schools Im applying to, which asks for 300-500 words (mine was like 670), and dude said it was amazing and asked me to submit it with only a few minor changes. I've always looked at it like this. If you have a 600 word SOP and they only want 500, by the time they get to the fifth hundred word in your statement, if they are really interested in you and want you, they will read 100 more words. If they stop reading at 500, well then your statement sucks, and they werent going to admit you anyway even if you did make their limit. If your not compelling enough to make someone read three more sentences, then how compelling and successful would your research really be anyway? Plus, I wouldnt want to go to a school that rejected me off such a miniscule reason anyway.

I fully understand your point, but I'd rather not run such a risk!

I'm not trying to be rude, but what do you expect to happen once you get to grad school?  What fresh new kind of "bullshit" lies ahead?  A lot of people have talked about having even 4 or 5 different versions of an SOP.  Cutting words is not the most difficult process in the world.

I know it's not the most difficult process in the world.  How do you know that I do not have four or five different versions of my SOP?  Think I'm not capable of it just because I said it's bullshit?  As a matter of fact, I have about 6 or 7 different versions of my SOP, one of which is 500 words.  I just didn't necessarily use it with some even if they asked for 500 because I felt that the longer version was stronger even if I did have a 500 word one.  

Calling something bullshit doesn't mean one will never know how to adhere to and respect parameters set forth for them in grad school.  I adhere to and respect parameters set forth for me all the time -- and have done so for years -- in school, in work, and indeed, even in grad school applications.  Doesn't mean I don't allow myself to "risk" not doing so in some small ways when I think it might be acceptable.  

Sorry if I sound rude myself, but I think it's dumb how people constantly reply to others on here, "You'll never make it grad school if X, Y, or Z..."

Sure. Right.

If I get into a program (and I'm not saying I will, but if I do), I'll make it in the program, whether I think things are bullshit or not.  There's no need to imply that one needs to be all cheerful and 100% "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" about everything in order to succeed.

Also, to speak to what someone else said, I also choose to "risk it" because given the # of times I have asked various DGS's some variation of "Would it be okay if I go over...if it's more words than...if it's just a little more than what you all..." -- about 95% of the time, the answer was, "Don't worry about that.  Just present your best self."

I asked a school who asked for 5 to 10 pages for a writing sample if I could submit 18, and they said even 20 would be fine, but no more than that.  In other words, they were willing to accept double and even triple what they stated. 

If I "irritate" someone on an adcomm, so be it.  The right program won't be irritated.  Also, there's a difference, in my opinion, between excess and over.  I'm a teacher myself who puts guidelines on student work.  When I tell my students to write a 5 page paper, and some of them ask if it can be more, I say yeah, that's fine.  Even eight pages works.  How is a person going to condemn someone doing MORE than they have to do?  Sure, I don't want to read that eight pages, but I'm certainly not going to condemn their enthusiasm and overachieving.  Eight page is over, even well over, what they need to do.  But it's not excess.  If I ask for five pages and they give me 10, I'm thinking excess.  I think, similarly, an adcomm would likely think...they did more than they needed to and more than we wanted, but 600 words/750 words is NOT excess(ive).

In the end, because I believed my 650/750 word SOPs were stronger than the 500 word one, I thought the risk of "irritating" someone was less important than the risk of turning in a weaker SOP.   

So, you see, I'm not lazy or unfit to cut words down, nor unable to respect parameters in a future grad program.  I just chose to do what I thought would work.

Edited by purpleperson

I never said you wouldn't make it into graduate school, nor did I call you lazy.  I am also a big proponent of short as sweeter and would rather turn in something that the adcom would actually expect.  When I say that the 500 word SOP should be adhered to, I am also thinking of the leaner constituents that potentially make that shorter statement even better, and whether the adcom feels that way as well - in fact, might they be looking for that degree of expertise?  There's a thread somewhere here discussing the 500 word SOP and how some were surprised that those statements (that they felt weaker = less wordage) yielded positive results, even with brevity.  Of course, if the school specifically says that you can bend the rule, then that's your choice.  But why waste money on an application if they specifically say not to?  Some do.  We're all applying to different schools here and your "95%" mentioned are likely different from mine.  I'm not going to just bend the rules because I feel a certain emotional reaction toward them...I don't love it either, and I don't see anything in my response that implies that I am being "cheerful" about it.

edit: I just laughed out loud at the thought of myself arguing, DON'T ACCUSE ME OF BEING CHEERFUL

Edited by repentwalpurgis

Why needlessly provoke possible irritation with a document that flagrantly exceeds what's requested? 

My thoughts exactly. You guys: details matter. I'm really confused by all these comments of the type, "they can't really care about this requirement or that requirement." Sure they can. Follow directions.

Edited by ComeBackZinc

Whoever submitted that KOD article, my stress level just skyrocketed once again just as I was getting ready to start believing in myself. wHY

PS whoever is applying to any UC programs that require a Diversity/Personal History statement and wish to do a quick swap and scan, holler.

My thoughts exactly. You guys: details matter. I'm really confused by all these comments of the type, "they can't really care about this requirement or that requirement." Sure they can. Follow directions.

Seriously. After reading 500 SOPs, I'm sure many are looking for those minuscule reasons to eliminate you. Yes, even the "right" programs.

Oh, idk, one of my recommenders submitted my letters the day of. I'd remind them if they don't get them in then.

Ah, ok. I mean it is finals week so professors are probably up their necks with that. I just wonder if my app is in jeopardy if I submit the rest of my application but am still missing 2 letters.

Most programs allow for some leeway when it comes to letters. But this varies, so if you're concerned about a particular program, check with them. Most should be fine for up to a week after the application deadline.

Most programs allow for some leeway when it comes to letters. But this varies, so if you're concerned about a particular program, check with them. Most should be fine for up to a week after the application deadline.

Wow thanks! I'll definitely do a follow up and then check in with my schools of interests. Thank you so much.

Hi all, probably a longshot, but does anyone know about Duke English's deadlines? The dept website says Dec 31, but other places (the grad school website) lead me to think that the deadline might be today. Any fellow applicants know? Thanks so much! 

I submitted my application last night. I never realized I had until the end of the month...And I was going to retake the GRE too. Bugger.

I submitted my Stanford app, but the page says "incomplete" because my GRE scores have been "received" but aren't official... what does that mean?? Trying to call them...

When did you take the GRE? Maybe it has something to do with waiting on your analytical writing score? Just a guess.