Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

5 hours ago, vapra007 said:

I got a regret mail and the status is shown as rejected. Wish all the best to aspirants. I got it yesterday afternoon.

Were you interviewed?

On 4/13/2019 at 1:00 AM, JeremyMPP said:

[ Request for Info on Accommodation ]

Hi friends,

I got an offer to the MPP Program for Intake 2019/2021 (With Scholarship), but I was recently informed during a webchat with the school that accommodation is not covered (which is strange). They also mentioned that accommodation at College Green is 1,022 SGD / Month, but I am wondering if this is per person or per housing unit. 

Moreover, I asked previous scholars, and they mentioned that their scholarships are funded by the Li Ka Shing Foundation, and it was stated on their Letters of Offers that the foundation will cover accommodation while on our Letters they only mentioned that we received a Scholarship, but housing allowance nor Li Ka Shing was not mentioned. 

Is there a difference between normal scholarships to LKY and the Li Ka Shing Foundation's scholarship? Moreover, does anyone happen to know why they are not providing accommodation this year? 

I've been really stressed out with this, and I do not think I can afford my studies in SG if accommodation is not covered. I would be grateful if anyone can offer me some explanations and alternatives. 

Hi JeremyMPP, I think all incoming scholars are on the same situation. I would prefer staying at UTown Residence (roughly SGD 639/month) or PGP (roughly SGD565/month) since we can get a subsidised rate, leaving us with at least SGD 700 per month to cover living expenses. A bit disappointed too with the fact that the accommodation has been scraped out of scholarship offer this year, but I think we still can make it with the stipend as long as we're not staying in CG. I assume there will be less students staying in CG this year due to the cost, but who knows. Cheers!

22 hours ago, IDMPP2019 said:

Hi JeremyMPP, I think all incoming scholars are on the same situation. I would prefer staying at UTown Residence (roughly SGD 639/month) or PGP (roughly SGD565/month) since we can get a subsidised rate, leaving us with at least SGD 700 per month to cover living expenses. A bit disappointed too with the fact that the accommodation has been scraped out of scholarship offer this year, but I think we still can make it with the stipend as long as we're not staying in CG. I assume there will be less students staying in CG this year due to the cost, but who knows. Cheers!

Hi IDMPP 

I second your proposal, and I believe that UTown or PGP are the best options. I e-mailed them to ask for further clarifications regarding accommodation, and they mentioned that further administrative matters will be offered in May. I am hoping that the school would assist us with our application to UTown or PGP. Looking forward to meeting you on campus very soon.

3 hours ago, JeremyMPP said:

Hi IDMPP 

I second your proposal, and I believe that UTown or PGP are the best options. I e-mailed them to ask for further clarifications regarding accommodation, and they mentioned that further administrative matters will be offered in May. I am hoping that the school would assist us with our application to UTown or PGP. Looking forward to meeting you on campus very soon.

Dear Jermy,

Thanks for the update. Is it "further administrative matters or accommodation matters"? 

They might be thinking to secure funding from some donors to provide accommodation! (Height of Positivism) ;)

7 minutes ago, ASB86 said:

Dear Jermy,

Thanks for the update. Is it "further administrative matters or accommodation matters"? 

They might be thinking to secure funding from some donors to provide accommodation! (Height of Positivism) ;)

Hey ASB86,

I forgot to mention that it is both further administrative and accommodation matters, although I am not pretty sure what will be the news by then. I, too, am sincerely hoping that they are looking to secure accommodation fundings for us. 

16 minutes ago, Repat Hopes said:

Has anybody else heard any further? Or still waiting on news? 

I'm still waiting for an answer... 

No news. I'm still waiting as well. 

Hi guys! I was also offered the full scholarship at LKY and was considering that offer against a 50% offer at McCourt and a no aid offer at Columbia SIPA. On speaking to some current students, I got the impression that the curriculum at LKY for energy and environment policy is not that impressive and also that the career services are not all that great with most people having to return to their respective countries and searching for jobs in previous networks. 

Is this something the rest of you have heard as well? On what factors are you basing your decisions? 

Would love to hear some perspectives on this. Please feel free to also suggest pros and cons for the other colleges mentioned if you have information regarding them or have admits and have considered them against LKY!

Thanks!

At LKYSPP, with regard to environment and energy, you can find courses such as

1. Environmental Economics 
  2. Natural Disaster and Climate Change
  3. Urban Transport Policy
  4. Sustainable and Livable Cities
  5. Water Policy and Governance 
  6. Air and Water Pollution 

Besides the above, one can feel free to choose an elective from other schools in NUS and people do go to school of design, environment studies etc. There is Institute for Water Policy, a research think tank at LKYSPP that is very resourceful and does some great work. 

As far as career services is concerned, let me be very honest - Not just LKYSPP, but most schools including US and Europe do not offer an in campus placements or assured jobs. The career services does lot of networking events, there are career fairs, industry nights that are organized in every semester at LKYSPP. It also comes down to how a student leverages these opportunities and convert them into a job, there are students from outside SG who found a job immediately in SG and there are people who went back to their home countries and there are people who struggle to find the right job immediately upon graduation. This is very much applicable to all top schools. You have all kind of possibilities happening. The Bottom line - The school has a brand, there is strong alumni network, the opportunities to meet people from the industry and network are many - now its upto the student. 

Hope this was helpful and All the Very Best to everyone out there. Cheers 

Can a current student discuss the quality of education at LKY? I’m hoping to be accepted and transfer from a program where I’ve been, quite frankly, very disappointed with the quality of my education. I was surprised this year at the poor quality as this was not surmisable when applying to the school.

Edited by BMB2019

Hi everyone!

I was also offered full scholarship with stipend. I am based out of Delhi, India and was wondering if there are more students joining the programme for fall 2019 and would like to connect?

8 hours ago, Pooja7 said:

Hi everyone!

I was also offered full scholarship with stipend. I am based out of Delhi, India and was wondering if there are more students joining the programme for fall 2019 and would like to connect?

Hi Pooja, 

I got the scholarship too (without housing) and am planning to join the program. 

Greetings from Islamabad. 

On 4/25/2019 at 9:58 PM, BMB2019 said:

Can a current student discuss the quality of education at LKY? I’m hoping to be accepted and transfer from a program where I’ve been, quite frankly, very disappointed with the quality of my education. I was surprised this year at the poor quality as this was not surmisable when applying to the school.

If you don't mind me asking, which school are you referring to?

On 4/25/2019 at 11:48 PM, Pooja7 said:

Hi everyone!

Congratulations Pooja. Is this MPP or MPA?

On 4/26/2019 at 8:12 AM, ASB86 said:

Hi Pooja, 

I got the scholarship too (without housing) and am planning to join the program. 

Greetings from Islamabad. 

Can you please share your contact detail or email?. I am from Karachi. I applied for MPP but rejected. I want to have your guidance.  My email is gaatzaz@gmail.com

9 hours ago, ghazanfar9116 said:

Can you please share your contact detail or email?. I am from Karachi. I applied for MPP but rejected. I want to have your guidance.  My email is gaatzaz@gmail.com

Hi Ghazanfar, 

Please see your inbox.

Edited by ASB86

1 hour ago, Repat Hopes said:

I've finally received news today that I was successful in my application. Unfortunately without funding though. =(

Hi, which country are you from? Were you emailed by NUS to try to apply for an ADB funding/scholarship?

8 minutes ago, xvd said:

Hi, which country are you from? Were you emailed by NUS to try to apply for an ADB funding/scholarship?

I believe only those from ASEAN countries can apply for the ADB scholarship. I was not nominated to apply