Final Decision Thread 2013

I'm glad someone gets the reference!  I love Pynchon and other postmodernists.  They're not all that different from early modern writers, many of whom can't resist stuff like metatheatricality.  There's definitely a reason Pynchon lampoons Jacobean revenge tragedy in The Crying of Lot 49!

every time i see you post i roll around laughing! and i completely agree with that correlation. this just makes me so excited about next year.

i have a whole chapter in my thesis on pudding's notorious scene :) which i happen to be finishing up editing as the FULL final draft is due tonight.

I've found out who my cohort will be next year and it seems all the really really smart and funny people that I liked at visiting will be there! I'm actually finally starting to get excited now! As meryl streep says, "these are the moments..."

I just want to say that our Buffy conversation last fall inspired me to give the show a second try. I spent January and February devouring that show, and you guys were totally right. And I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling proud of us right now. We did alright, y'all.

How'd you feel about the college years? I only just got into Buffy last year, and I watched the high school years over and over and over again before I could move on. I gave up after Dawn.

every time i see you post i roll around laughing! and i completely agree with that correlation. this just makes me so excited about next year.

i have a whole chapter in my thesis on pudding's notorious scene :) which i happen to be finishing up editing as the FULL final draft is due tonight.

OMG Yes!  You'll have to tell me all about it this Fall!

It's possible I'm the last person to declare themselves in this thread but I have officially accepted Brandeis' offer. I'm not sure there was EVER another option for me but the school named after the Supreme Court justice.

It's possible I'm the last person to declare themselves in this thread but I have officially accepted Brandeis' offer. I'm not sure there was EVER another option for me but the school named after the Supreme Court justice.

I'm out of up-votes but congrats! With 44 minuets to spare!

That is definitely a valid reason to give up but you should keep going because Spike.

On the real, though. Who saw Spike coming? I sure didn't. And Anya? She was by far my favorite. Each season of the college years was a bit harder to get into than the one before. I really loved season four though! Dawn definitely didn't help; I would say I spent the first half of season five praying that she would disappear and the rest of the series trying to pretend she wasn't there. And don't even get me started on Riley...I think the hardest part for me was when Nathan Fillion showed up in the end. He's supposed to be charming at all times, damnit!

How'd you feel about the college years? I only just got into Buffy last year, and I watched the high school years over and over and over again before I could move on. I gave up after Dawn.

UGH. Dawn is the worst. Still, there are some priceless moments and story arcs after her introduction (Willow's progression with magic, "Once More with Feeling," and the series finale) that make it possible to (almost) tolerate Dawn's whining blahness. 

And Anya? She was by far my favorite. 

Oh Anya. Anya Anya Anya. I love her so. 

tumblr_m5a0f0W4mV1qiv1na.gif

On another note, I officially signed up for classes this morning! I will be taking Digital Rhetoric, Engendering Rhetorical Power, and Approaches to College Composition, in addition to ASL classes at Gallaudet. To say I'm excited is an understatement! 

On another note, I officially signed up for classes this morning! I will be taking Digital Rhetoric, Engendering Rhetorical Power, and Approaches to College Composition, in addition to ASL classes at Gallaudet. To say I'm excited is an understatement! 

Nice! I need to email my final decision on courses in... somehow agonizing over my third class seems harder when I can't switch between options in online registration.

Is it okay to ask advice from your POI about courses? Or is that an etiquette faux pas? I've asked this question before but received no response.

Why would that be an etiquette faux pas? I'm not sure I really understand the question...

I'm negotiating cultural differences here. I am not an American so I'm not sure whether this is a done thing to do before I meet them in person.

Oh, got it. I didn't mean to be rude (I reread my post and realized it might sound that way), I just genuinely didn't, and don't, see why it would be a problem. I'd say go for it, but maybe other people want to weigh in differently. I'm not really the best person to talk to when it comes to questions of etiquette.

When I mentioned that I had been looking at course descriptions, my future advisor said he wanted to hear which ones I was thinking about and wanted to give me advice about what to take. So, Porridge, to echo everyone else it's not a faux pas and your advisor might even really want to give you advice about it.

Woo! After endless worry about admissions, and then endless worry about funding, I'm going to Georgetown's MA program with funding! Now comes endless worry about my girlfriend finding a job and an apartment and getting my a$s back to the U.S.A. in time.

Woo! After endless worry about admissions, and then endless worry about funding, I'm going to Georgetown's MA program with funding! Now comes endless worry about my girlfriend finding a job and an apartment and getting my a$s back to the U.S.A. in time.

Congrats! I'll see you there!