Final Decision Thread 2013

For the April 15th deadline:

Do schools need to recieve our official signed acceptance letters by this date? Or do we simply have to notify them by this date (i.e. e-mail, phone, etc.)?

I emailed the DGS my acceptance and asked what my next step was. I think schools have different "next steps," so I would suggest emailing the DGS for the official procedure. 

I've been trying to keep this up-to-date.  Here's the GoogleDocs document again: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UN6wbbIFRmKTvGb_zPMgRdWmVf-pkTO0fU8ikGshkPM/edit

I was wondering how I got on there! I tried to put myself in the doc a few days ago and it wouldn't load; when I went back later, I was already listed. I was mildly creeped out, but that's reassuring. :D

I was wondering how I got on there! I tried to put myself in the doc a few days ago and it wouldn't load; when I went back later, I was already listed. I was mildly creeped out, but that's reassuring. :D
I was also mildly surprised to see myself on there :) After getting into Tufts today and having a brief attack of uncertainty around my decision, seeing my name/avatar cemented next to ASU was very reassuring!

It's official! I accepted my offer at PSU and I feel... weird. I expected to feel relieved and overwhelmingly happy--and I'm certainly relieved--but my stupid brain can't get over all the "what ifs." Also, it doesn't look like anyone else from this board is headed there this year. Sad. :(

It's official! I accepted my offer at PSU and I feel... weird. I expected to feel relieved and overwhelmingly happy--and I'm certainly relieved--but my stupid brain can't get over all the "what ifs." Also, it doesn't look like anyone else from this board is headed there this year. Sad. :(

I am still heavily considering PSU. It's between that and irvine; I won't have a chance to visit irvine, and I have heard only (2nd and 3rd- hand) negative things, but we will see how my communication with profs goes. I feel bad but I will most likely take this decision down to the proverbial wire.

I'm REALLY happy for you, bfat. You're going to do great and be very happy there, I'm sure.

Anyone else feel a pang of regret/what-ifs with their final decision? I accepted to ASU and am thrilled, but I got into Tufts off the waitlist yesterday and was quite shocked, as I didn't think it would convert (I'd heard as early as last week that there hadn't been any movement).

I'm excited about ASU - I'm a western fellow by nature and there are a variety of great things about ASU - namely, my potential mentor is awesome and there are tons of opportunities for interdisciplinary research in my areas. Unfortunately, I dragged my feet and hadn't yet removed myself from Tufts' waitlist (my schedule is crazy) and got in, and have now heard from the DGS and a couple students within the last day... and they're all so nice! I want to decline (and intend to tonight) but it is sooooo hard. Tufts' funding package is better, but funding isn't as big of a deal for me. But when a program comes at you hard it's difficult to turn them down. I think Tufts would be just as good of a fit program wise, though not so much location wise, which is important to my wife and me. They are both ranked similarly with Tufts a bit higher but placement rate similar, hovering around 60% for TT... And of course my acceptance of ASU's offer makes it hard to backtrack.

But I know there will always be what ifs, and there would if I went to Tufts instead. Gah! This process is maddening :)

Edited by Cactus Ed

Anyone else feel a pang of regret/what-ifs with their final decision? 

I am living in a massive "what if" spiral of uncertainty. 

I keep deciding on Buffalo, spending 10 seconds thinking about How Great It Will Be, and then somehow drift back to WV, and How Great It Would Be, and then I get sad and kind and confused. It seems that I am leaning toward Buffalo but honestly with only about 51% certainly. If WVU offered as many great seminars as Buffalo or if Buffalo had the prison book project, it would be so easy!

I am living in a massive "what if" spiral of uncertainty. 

I keep deciding on Buffalo, spending 10 seconds thinking about How Great It Will Be, and then somehow drift back to WV, and How Great It Would Be, and then I get sad and kind and confused. It seems that I am leaning toward Buffalo but honestly with only about 51% certainly. If WVU offered as many great seminars as Buffalo or if Buffalo had the prison book project, it would be so easy!

^ my brain

Congrats, bfat! I know how you feel with the what ifs. In a year, we'll all be swamped and not thinking about the what ifs, I imagine. 

Current "what if": What if next year that isn't true, and all I can think about is how I picked the wrong school? WHAT IF?

What if we're all so immersed in teaching and struggling to stay afloat in a sea of grading and coursework and reading lists and... 

I dunno, I feel like once I'm in a program, I'm in all the way. It'd take some seriously unfortunate and negative circumstances to make me question my decision. 

What if we're all so immersed in teaching and struggling to stay afloat in a sea of grading and coursework and reading lists and... 

I dunno, I feel like once I'm in a program, I'm in all the way. It'd take some seriously unfortunate and negative circumstances to make me question my decision. 

I hope you're right! No matter my choice, though, I'll have a lighter load teaching than I do now, so maybe I'll be kicking back and relaxin' (ha!).