Final Decision Thread 2013

I need some advice--I got into one out of 9 programs that I applied to and it wasn't my top choice. It's hard to turn down an offer though, especially considering that there's no guarantee that my application season next year would be successful. Any suggestions on what I should do? The school I got into is ranked #63 in the US rankings--is that really horrible in the scheme of things? The main thing I dread in reapplications is the GRE. My verbal score is around 580 and I'm not sure if I can make it higher--or if it's really the thing that's stopping my applications. As of now, I'm thinking about deferring and reapplying. Help! 

Is it a fully funded offer? How do their placement records look? I mean ideally you want to be excited about where you're going and feel good about the job prospects it's going to help you reach, but I don't think ranking alone should keep you from attending.

Hooray :) I was like 95% sure that I would go to LA a couple months ago, then had my heart set on staying at Cal, and never really thought until the past few weeks that I'd end up picking Irvine, but at this point it's almost a lock. Almost.

Holy crap, did I meet you at the intro weekend?

I need some advice--I got into one out of 9 programs that I applied to and it wasn't my top choice. It's hard to turn down an offer though, especially considering that there's no guarantee that my application season next year would be successful. Any suggestions on what I should do? The school I got into is ranked #63 in the US rankings--is that really horrible in the scheme of things? The main thing I dread in reapplications is the GRE. My verbal score is around 580 and I'm not sure if I can make it higher--or if it's really the thing that's stopping my applications. As of now, I'm thinking about deferring and reapplying. Help! 

This really depends on your goal. Remember that a PhD is, despite all the fuss we make about it here, merely a stepping-stone. Your mission is to choose a stepping stone that is sturdy enough. US News rankings don't mean anything, practically speaking. You should consider your projected interests, faculty and research fit at your institution, recent and historical placement trends at that department. For example, a certain university that isn't especially a "star" in any rankings had, historically, the country's tippy-top program in cinema studies. I say had, because due to various factors over the years, it is now nowhere near where it was. So, again, rankings don't mean squat.

If you got into one out of 9 and it was not the best fit for all these reasons, I'd suggest going at it again. Typically, a "good" application does succeed at more than one place in a given round. Obviously, there can be exceptions, sometimes good, sometimes not so much. 

...All that being said, if you are in the humanities and your department is not decently strong either in NRC rankings (not USNWR) or in terms of how it is viewed within the academic world, nor does it have an unusually good placement record, you are better off not going.

Wow, I remember you saying that Berkeley had offered you crazy money and made staying look really tempting. What about Irvine changed your mind? I hope this doesn't seem nosy, I'm just always curious about how other people are making their decisions. I got lucky in that my dream program on paper ended up living up to my expectations IRL, but I know this often isn't the case.

I know :/ I feel like sort of a wishy-washy jerk in some ways but in the end it's the people in irvine that make it impossible to pass up. Theyre not offering as much money as either LA or Cal, and they're not as highly ranked, but that seemed to make the faculty even more driven to excel. They all talked about how their recent hires ad selection process was sort of specifically focused on becoming one of the top national programs in poetics, like they did before for creative writing. Instead of being jaded by already ranking highly, everyone was really motivated both to collaborate and to challenge one another in order to do rise to the top. The faculty and students were all just infathomably sweet and brilliant and fun and grounded. Sorry that was a lot. But for anyone thinking of applying in the future, I have nothing but awesome things to say about UCI and the only reason I thought to apply in the first place was that many of my professors at Cal lauded it so strongly. Looking forward to meeting my cohort! :) and happy decision-making to everyone!

Is it a fully funded offer? How do their placement records look? I mean ideally you want to be excited about where you're going and feel good about the job prospects it's going to help you reach, but I don't think ranking alone should keep you from attending.

As of right  now, I'm not being funded, but I'm first on the waitlist. If I don't get funded, I for sure wouldn't go. So, things are still up in the air. I guess I don't feel as excited about going since it wasn't my top choice. I met with a grad student there and she said that everyone seems happy and is doing well. They're not getting the "best" jobs out there, but some are getting tenure track jobs at other places. So, I'm not sure what to think. 

I know :/ I feel like sort of a wishy-washy jerk in some ways but in the end it's the people in irvine that make it impossible to pass up. Theyre not offering as much money as either LA or Cal, and they're not as highly ranked, but that seemed to make the faculty even more driven to excel. They all talked about how their recent hires ad selection process was sort of specifically focused on becoming one of the top national programs in poetics, like they did before for creative writing. Instead of being jaded by already ranking highly, everyone was really motivated both to collaborate and to challenge one another in order to do rise to the top. The faculty and students were all just infathomably sweet and brilliant and fun and grounded. Sorry that was a lot. But for anyone thinking of applying in the future, I have nothing but awesome things to say about UCI and the only reason I thought to apply in the first place was that many of my professors at Cal lauded it so strongly. Looking forward to meeting my cohort! :) and happy decision-making to everyone!

Congrats! UCI is a great program. A good friend of mine recently got his English PhD there about 2-3 years ago, and I have a fellow cohortmate and comrade from my current MA program also starting there this fall with you, and she's awesome in every way possible. You really can't go wrong with any of your excellent choices though. It was great meeting you at UCLA by the way.

This really depends on your goal. Remember that a PhD is, despite all the fuss we make about it here, merely a stepping-stone. Your mission is to choose a stepping stone that is sturdy enough. US News rankings don't mean anything, practically speaking. You should consider your projected interests, faculty and research fit at your institution, recent and historical placement trends at that department. For example, a certain university that isn't especially a "star" in any rankings had, historically, the country's tippy-top program in cinema studies. I say had, because due to various factors over the years, it is now nowhere near where it was. So, again, rankings don't mean squat.

If you got into one out of 9 and it was not the best fit for all these reasons, I'd suggest going at it again. Typically, a "good" application does succeed at more than one place in a given round. Obviously, there can be exceptions, sometimes good, sometimes not so much. 

...All that being said, if you are in the humanities and your department is not decently strong either in NRC rankings (not USNWR) or in terms of how it is viewed within the academic world, nor does it have an unusually good placement record, you are better off not going.

Thanks, yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The rankings aren't great--either from NRC or USNWR. I'm not sure how it's really viewed in the academic world--it seems like since it's not in the top 50, it's just viewed as average. 

I guess I just wish there was some way to know if I had a chance at other schools. Not sure if I should consider this round as my last chance or not. Anyone have any advice about GRE scores and top 50 schools? Do I have to have over a 600/700 on the verbal to get in?

It was great meeting you at UCLA by the way.

Totally dude! Lets keep in touch on fb or something if you want. You were one of the coolest people there for sure :)

As of right  now, I'm not being funded, but I'm first on the waitlist. If I don't get funded, I for sure wouldn't go. So, things are still up in the air. I guess I don't feel as excited about going since it wasn't my top choice. I met with a grad student there and she said that everyone seems happy and is doing well. They're not getting the "best" jobs out there, but some are getting tenure track jobs at other places. So, I'm not sure what to think. 

I can understand why you'd feel that way. If you visited and still aren't feeling excited, that says something in itself. For me, the initial excitement of getting into a top program like Cornell or Yale would have been greater, but after learning more about all the programs I applied to and visiting, I think I'm just as excited about where I'm going now as I would have been to go anywhere else. But then, perhaps if you are offered funding you'll feel that way too? Even if there's a good chance of receiving it, I imagine I probably wouldn't allow myself to feel the same excitement until it was certain.

I guess I just wish there was some way to know if I had a chance at other schools. Not sure if I should consider this round as my last chance or not. Anyone have any advice about GRE scores and top 50 schools? Do I have to have over a 600/700 on the verbal to get in?

The fact that you got in somewhere seems like it would indicate that you at least have a chance to do well in another application season, especially if you had any other wait lists/MA offers. I feel like I learned so much just going through this process that, were I to apply next year, my application would be much stronger. I think how you feel is important in determining the question of whether to try again. If you have no idea how you would improve your application or feel like you've done all you can, your chances may not be as good, but if you can identify aspects that you would like to and know how to improve, I would feel more confident about giving it another shot.

I definitely got that vibe too - it's a very driven program.  While I'm not poetics (Early Modern English), I definitely felt like the atmosphere at UCI was just so positive - and with morale high, excellent faculty, and a driven cohort, it's gonna be awesome.

I made my decision a little while ago, but I am headed (back) to Michigan State in the fall for my MA!  I would have killed to go to NYU, but their offer sadly came with zero funding and zero possibility of funding.  Understandable at the MA level, but just not doable for me.  They did say they're looking forward to my doctoral application in a few years, though!

Congrats to everyone's acceptances and decisions :)  It's over... it's finally over haha

Just declined U Penn (comp lit) and Minnesota (CSDS) in favor of Duke literature. Not sure if that will help anyone out at this point, but best of luck to those still waiting!

Nice!  I'm heading to UNC this fall, and I plan on taking some courses at Duke Literature and/or English, so maybe I'll see you around?