Final Decision Thread 2013

Congrats, Proflorax! I think ya picked the right one, baby ;) Guess that means my rejection letter should be coming any day now... reckon you just can't win em all!

Congrats to all the others who've made their final decisions. Woot!

Thanks! It's the next day, and I still feel confident and calm about my decision. I'm sad that we won't be in the same cohort, however. Still, we will be in the same field, so our paths will cross at a conference or the like! Are you leaning towards UT Austin or U of Louisville? 

Super pumped to be able to say: officially attending Rice University in the fall!
Congrats! Say hi to Cary Wolfe for me. P.S. Is your avatar Bob?? If so, well done, sir.

I would like to say that I am so ^&^!?!"£! excited to be doing my PhD.

What are you Americans like?

edit: totally misunderstood the question

You'll get used to us fairly quickly.  We'll all be impressed by your accent and ask you to say things like "vitamin."

Edited by Datatape

I would like to say that I am so ^&^!?!"£! excited to be doing my PhD.

What are you Americans like?

Have you seen these boards? We're rather vicious, I daft (as dogs are--see animality studies).

Sursie, I just have to say -- Franny and Zooey is my favorite book. Love the quote!

Thanks. I love that quote, too. And I'm glad you mentioned it because it made me realize that it's said "The only think you can do" this entire application season. Wow, I'm a dweeb.

Hey, question. I'm writing my declining letters and am conflicted about something. When I went to visit a particular university there was a grad student that really, really put me off. And not in a way where we just didn't get along or didn't like the same theory or anything. As a woman, I was like, hell no. I cannot go to this school. Should I tell them this? I was thinking of saying something like, you might want to reconsider having Student X present at upcoming events for potential students. But this makes me sound like kind of a pretentious jerk, no?

Edited by smellybug

Hey, question. I'm writing my declining letters and am conflicted about something. When I went to visit a particular university there was a grad student that really, really put me off. And not in a way where we just didn't get along or didn't like the same theory or anything. As a woman, I was like, hell no. I cannot go to this school. Should I tell them this? I was thinking of saying something like, you might want to reconsider having Student X present at upcoming events for potential students. But this makes me sound like kind of a pretentious jerk, no?

Can you give a few more details? If it's not a situation where you felt genuinely unsafe or where the person likely violated an campus policy, I would leave it alone. They likely won't do anything about it, and academia is a such a small world. If it was, like, inappropriate touching, then I would definitely talk to faculty at your current school for advice and pursue it from there. But if it's more vague, it's hard to see that they would remove him from that position.

Can you give a few more details? If it's not a situation where you felt genuinely unsafe or where the person likely violated an campus policy, I would leave it alone. They likely won't do anything about it, and academia is a such a small world. If it was, like, inappropriate touching, then I would definitely talk to faculty at your current school for advice and pursue it from there. But if it's more vague, it's hard to see that they would remove him from that position.

No, no inappropriate touching. I don't think that being a creepy guy with a predatory look in his eye is against school policy (unfortunately), so I suppose it's best left alone.

Have you seen these boards? We're rather vicious, I daft (as dogs are--see animality studies).

Actually I've been fortunate to meet many Americans. I can genuinely say that all of them were really lovely and curious - except for one ass. But he would have been an ass regardless of his nationality. 

This should come as no surprise to anyone, but I want to shout it from the rooftops:

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND!

I haven't been on gradcafe in a while and missed this, but just wanted to say - yay! happy for you on your decision!  So I assume you're not making the rest of your visits you were planning?

I haven't been on gradcafe in a while and missed this, but just wanted to say - yay! happy for you on your decision!  So I assume you're not making the rest of your visits you were planning?

Thank you! No more visits for me. I'm relieved! Now, I can focus on moving my stuff, my husband, and my dog across country! 

Thank you! No more visits for me. I'm relieved! Now, I can focus on moving my stuff, my husband, and my dog across country! 

Congratulations! Are you planning to head back there to look for a place? I was hoping not to have to make another trip back, but I'm starting to feel it may be necessary.

Congratulations! Are you planning to head back there to look for a place? I was hoping not to have to make another trip back, but I'm starting to feel it may be necessary.

Yup! My husband and I are heading there for a week in June. We are actually thinking of buying a house (we have some money saved up from working full-time these past few years), but we aren't sure how feasible it is to buy a house in an area we aren't familiar with. What about you? Where are you thinking about living? We are hoping for Takoma Park!

Yup! My husband and I are heading there for a week in June. We are actually thinking of buying a house (we have some money saved up from working full-time these past few years), but we aren't sure how feasible it is to buy a house in an area we aren't familiar with. What about you? Where are you thinking about living? We are hoping for Takoma Park!

That's great, buying a house would definitely make for a more desirable living situation, but it would be hard to make such a big decision without knowing more about the area. I'm looking in Takoma Park, Silver Spring and Greenbelt primarily, though I've seen some good options in Bethesda too. We really don't want to get stuck with an apartment complex, but it's a bit early now to find a townhouse or duplex that will be available in August, when we plan to move. I'm torn between the convenience of places like Greenbelt, where I could get to the university by shuttle or metro without any driving required, and the nicer housing options that are 30-40 minutes out. Ideally, I'd like to find a duplex or townhouse between 10 and 20 minutes from campus, but I feel like it's harder to find privately owned, smaller units like that in advance and from across the country.