Final Decision Thread 2013

Woo! After endless worry about admissions, and then endless worry about funding, I'm going to Georgetown's MA program with funding! Now comes endless worry about my girlfriend finding a job and an apartment and getting my a$s back to the U.S.A. in time.

Four people in my program right now went to Georgetown's MA, and they just love it.

I spent a few days having some doubt, concerned that I rushed my decision. And then, two things happened within twenty four hours to remind me that I absolutely made the right choice.

1. The University of Maryland recently approved a policy that guarantees six weeks of paid parental leave to graduate students! As I plan on having kids within the next few years, this news elicited a huge sigh of relief.

2. The English Department upped my first year fellowship by $5,000! 

I am happy to report that all feelings of doubt are gone.

I spent a few days having some doubt, concerned that I rushed my decision. And then, two things happened within twenty four hours to remind me that I absolutely made the right choice.

1. The University of Maryland recently approved a policy that guarantees six weeks of paid parental leave to graduate students! As I plan on having kids within the next few years, this news elicited a huge sigh of relief.

Wow! The first-year fellowship increase has me feeling pretty good as well, but I didn't know about the paid parental leave. More good things all around!

Holy cow that's huge! Congratulations!

so many OSU-ers! ah! welcome to town.

i'll be heading to upenn for the fall! ah! but, it was such a close call with berkeley that i'm still really confused, so let's

talk about it later! <3!

somehow, i'm getting the sense that remote apartment-hunting is not necessarily a step-down in stress/intensity from

what the last couple-a months have been?

congratulations, all! what a wild season. hope everything is wonderful, enlightening, and still full of great non-academic human things like kale and egg sandwiches come fall! summmmmerrrr rooooooooad tripppppp ya'all!

xo!

Congrats! I'll see you there!

Yeah for us. How're you finding the harrowing task of finding a place to live in D.C.? I feel like I've spent more time in google maps the last three weeks than teaching my students.

Yeah for us. How're you finding the harrowing task of finding a place to live in D.C.? I feel like I've spent more time in google maps the last three weeks than teaching my students.

I'm thinking Columbia Heights. But I might have to go for Silver Spring or Rockville. I'm applying for jobs like a crazy person as well, as I don't think I'll be receiving any funding out of the gate.

I'm looking in the same area, and I really have enjoyed this thorough guide to the DC area: http://dc.urbanturf.com/neighborhoods/ It breaks down each neighborhood by public transit, safety, atmosphere, community, etc. I'm flying out there in June with the hubs to go house hunting. (So excited!)

it's really hard to find a place from a distance. i took a couple days to visit DC. went to 6 different visiting appointments for apartments and ended up loving the last one i visited and doing the application that day.

in response to all those people starting at georgetown in the fall. the glover park area is nice and affordable, especially if you have a roommate. depending on where you are in this neighborhood it takes 15-25 minutes walk to get to the english building on campus. it's residential and very safe, so it might not feel "cityish" enough for some though it's right by wisconsin ave, which has restaurants, bars, cvs, whole foods, safeway, etc... also i can be in dupont via bus in 20 minutes either to go out or to take the metro somewhere else.

several people in the program over the past couple years, have lived in "bernstein management park crest apartments," they are really spacious, pet friendly, utilities included.

obviously craigslist is a great place to look, but a lot of corporately managed apartments (like the one i live in) don't list there. furthermore--you have to balance cost vs comfort. so yes, i'm a bit farther from school than a basement studio actually in georgetown would be, but i also don't mind the walk and prefer having space to spread out.

pm if you have any specific questions and i'll try to answer as best i know. good luck!

Ex-GU M.A. student here - some of us have also lived in Arlington/Alexandria.  There's a shuttle from Rosslyn, so if you don't mind a  20-30 minute ride via metro/GUTS bus, there's lots of affordable housing in those areas too.

it's really hard to find a place from a distance. i took a couple days to visit DC. went to 6 different visiting appointments for apartments and ended up loving the last one i visited and doing the application that day.

in response to all those people starting at georgetown in the fall. the glover park area is nice and affordable, especially if you have a roommate. depending on where you are in this neighborhood it takes 15-25 minutes walk to get to the english building on campus. it's residential and very safe, so it might not feel "cityish" enough for some though it's right by wisconsin ave, which has restaurants, bars, cvs, whole foods, safeway, etc... also i can be in dupont via bus in 20 minutes either to go out or to take the metro somewhere else.

several people in the program over the past couple years, have lived in "bernstein management park crest apartments," they are really spacious, pet friendly, utilities included.

obviously craigslist is a great place to look, but a lot of corporately managed apartments (like the one i live in) don't list there. furthermore--you have to balance cost vs comfort. so yes, i'm a bit farther from school than a basement studio actually in georgetown would be, but i also don't mind the walk and prefer having space to spread out.

pm if you have any specific questions and i'll try to answer as best i know. good luck!

I've been checking out the area closest to Georgetown, and it's a bit beyond our means. Brightwood/along the railroad tracks in NE/NW seems the more likely area, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping we find a last-minute bargain. If not, I'm have an hour-long commute now so I guess I'll manage well enough.

Having lived in DC - I'd suggest the Columbia Heights/Petworth areas.  They are more "up and coming" so to speak so they are much cheaper, but still VERY accessible to DC's excellent metro system.   It also would mean you would be living right in the center of tons of amazing and affordable restaurants, funky local bars, and access to all that metro DC has to offer.  

I went the craigslist route when I moved there several years ago - and lined up MANY visits.  It took awhile.  If you have the chance to sublet a place for a few weeks while you find something it might work better.  I subletted a place for two weeks and was able to find housing during that time for $600/month in the U Street area.  That has since increased, hence the suggestion of Columbia Heights/Petworth.