Final Decision Thread 2013

I have made my final decision. I will be attending The Ohio State University for my PhD in English. GO BUCKS.

What a difficult decision. I LOVED everyone at Riverside, and Irvine is an amazing program, but in the end OSU is the place for me.

You really couldn't make a bad decision.  See you at OSU in the Fall!

Made it official last week: I will be attending the University of Kansas for my MA. Is it weird that after all the e-mails sent and the websites checked off the decision still didn't actually feel final until I filled out the Google doc? Regardless, congrats to those who have made their decision and good luck to those still pondering!

Nice choice! I'll be seeing you at KU.

I have made my final decision. I will be attending The Ohio State University for my PhD in English. GO BUCKS.

What a difficult decision. I LOVED everyone at Riverside, and Irvine is an amazing program, but in the end OSU is the place for me.

Congrats again!   :)  You were one of the posters whose final decision I most wanted to know.

But yes, the Boston Marathon bombings really put a damper on things.  My thoughts are with Boston residents today...

Congrats! 

It's been a while since the document has been reposted: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UN6wbbIFRmKTvGb_zPMgRdWmVf-pkTO0fU8ikGshkPM/edit

I got a little misty browsing this document. Just last year, we were all freaking out together over letters of rec, statements of purpose, GRE's, and finances-- all while discussing such important issues as Doctor Who, Buffy, and Girls. We've debated, discussed, supported, empathized, cheered, advised, and shared. What an amazing community we have here, and now we get to enjoy the fruits of our labor in the fall! 

Go us!

Alright, it's as official as it will ever be, now. After being told on Friday night that my chances were slim, and that it would be surprising if they made an offer, today, I GOT INTO OHIO STATE off their wait list!!!! 

Apparently the Renaissance faculty fought super hard for me today.

And, after dealing with some other stuff (see thread entitled "Help!") this afternoon, I made it official-- I'LL ALSO BE ATTENDING OHIO STATE IN THE FALL!

I'M SO EXCITED!

Thanks everyone for being such a great, supportive community! And thank you, sebastiansteddy, for being an especially awesome supporter over the last two months! It's truly terrible what happened in Boston today, but I'm happy to hear that your family is okay. 

I can't wait to meet everyone on here headed to OSU in the fall. 

Edited by HHEoS

Alright, it's as official as it will ever be, now. After being told on Friday night that my chances were slim, and that it would be surprising if they made an offer, today, I GOT INTO OHIO STATE off their wait list!!!!

And, after dealing with some other stuff (see thread entitled "Help!") this afternoon, I made it official-- I'LL ALSO BE ATTENDING OHIO STATE IN THE FALL!

I'M SO EXCITED!

Thanks everyone for being such a great, supportive community! And thank you, sebastiansteddy, for being an especially awesome supporter over the last two months! It's truly terrible what happened in Boston today, but I'm happy to hear that your family is okay.

I feel like half the cohort is on here!

ETA: Obvs congrats!!!

Edited by Laokoon

I'M SO EXCITED!

'Sup, fellow OSU early modernist.

I feel like half the cohort is on here!

ETA: Obvs congrats!!!

Thanks! It does feel that way. 

'Sup, fellow OSU early modernist.

'sup? Just sent you a PM.

Whoa, so many Ohio State people. Congrats to all! We are now enemies.
I heard you guys are contractually obligated to fight to the death for your football team's honor should your paths ever cross at a conference......

1. Congratulations to all of you that have made such exciting decisions! I hope I can be in your shoes this time next year.

2. Though this should be a thread of celebration, I feel like contributing this appropriate quote considering the conversation above:

"There is only one way in which one can endure man's inhumanity to man and that is to try, in one's own life, to exemplify man's humanity to man." -Alan Paton

Wherever you end up and whatever path your career takes, always remember your obligation to be the best piece of the planet you can, everyday. If we keep this in mind, the world will be fine.

Edited by champagne

I got a little misty browsing this document. Just last year, we were all freaking out together over letters of rec, statements of purpose, GRE's, and finances-- all while discussing such important issues as Doctor Who, Buffy, and Girls. We've debated, discussed, supported, empathized, cheered, advised, and shared. What an amazing community we have here, and now we get to enjoy the fruits of our labor in the fall!

Go us!

I just want to say that our Buffy conversation last fall inspired me to give the show a second try. I spent January and February devouring that show, and you guys were totally right. And I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling proud of us right now. We did alright, y'all.

CONGRATULATIONS, HHEoS & sebastiansteddy!!

yay for OSU :) can't wait to meet everyone in the fall.

brigadierpudding, with a name like that i wouldn't have taken you for an early modernist. pynchon love :)

I'm glad someone gets the reference!  I love Pynchon and other postmodernists.  They're not all that different from early modern writers, many of whom can't resist stuff like metatheatricality.  There's definitely a reason Pynchon lampoons Jacobean revenge tragedy in The Crying of Lot 49!

I just want to say that our Buffy conversation last fall inspired me to give the show a second try. I spent January and February devouring that show, and you guys were totally right. And I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling proud of us right now. We did alright, y'all.

YES! This makes me so happy. :D

My greatest contribution to humanity: promoting Buffy to fellow geeks!