Final Decision Thread 2013

My final decision, after much deliberation, is that I won't go to grad school next year since I didn't get in anywhere.

It's ok, I have a cat.

Such is the game we've all chosen to play. I'm sure you'll do the needful over the intervening months and have a more successful second round.

But weren't you waitlisted? And if so, could that convert.

I called them yesterday and they said they aren't 100% sure yet, but it's not very likely to convert. So it goes. I think I'm going to apply to all different departments next year anyway. This year's round of apps taught me a lot about my academic interests.

double high five!

I'm going to apply again. In the meantime I'll stalk Deadinthewater until he admits to being hopelessly in love with me. 

I hate my cat, though, so there's that.

yeah, I'm that guy.

is deadinthewater gradcafeguy or am I not keeping up on these things

Is anyone else still agonizing over their final decision?

Oh, pick me!  Do I go with the amazing EM faculty at Colorado, or the equally amazing EM faculty at Minnesota?  Boulder seems like a fantastic place to live.  Then again, so does the great frozen north Minnesota, for at least 4 months out of the year.  While I really feel like I can't go wrong, it's still pretty intense.  Time to call some people.

I hear ya. For me, the issue is that the program I am leaning toward is the one that guarantees funding for the shortest time (4 years guaranteed with 99% students receiving 5th year funding) versus the other two I am considering (if one converts from a wait list) which guarantee funding for 5 years with most students receiving 6th and even 7th year funding (in the case of Irvine). 

Oh, that's tough.  I'm definitely leaning toward the better funding offer right now, though (because I have an MA already) the duration of the funding isn't so crucial for me.  Best of luck.  Having two schools to pick from has put me on the struggle bus; I can't imagine having 4(5?).

Oh, pick me!  Do I go with the amazing EM faculty at Colorado, or the equally amazing EM faculty at Minnesota?  Boulder seems like a fantastic place to live.  Then again, so does the great frozen north Minnesota, for at least 4 months out of the year.  While I really feel like I can't go wrong, it's still pretty intense.  Time to call some people.

Minnesota is awesome! Minneapolis is consistently ranked one of the best places to live in the US. It's bicycle-friendly, green (when there's no snow), and affordable. There's lots of culture and great restaurants. They're expanding their light rail system. The winters are really not that bad -- just buy a good coat and take the bus. Srsly!

I hear ya. For me, the issue is that the program I am leaning toward is the one that guarantees funding for the shortest time (4 years guaranteed with 99% students receiving 5th year funding) versus the other two I am considering (if one converts from a wait list) which guarantee funding for 5 years with most students receiving 6th and even 7th year funding (in the case of Irvine).

but bear in mind that the admittedly-not-guaranteed 5th year funding in question is a fellowship. so you're looking at [more likely than not] 5 years of funding in exchange for only 3 years of teaching, right? & if you were to not get a dissertation fellowship, i'm pretty sure they'd extend the TAship a year [at least that's my understanding]

but bear in mind that the admittedly-not-guaranteed 5th year funding in question is a fellowship. so you're looking at [more likely than not] 5 years of funding in exchange for only 3 years of teaching, right? & if you were to not get a dissertation fellowship, i'm pretty sure they'd extend the TAship a year [at least that's my understanding]

Yeah...soo much to consider...

On 4/11/2013 at 9:06 PM, Cactus Ed said:

Holy shit. I'm registering for classes for my PhD. So surreal.

Whaaaaaat?? I wanna do that! When can I do that?