Final Decision Thread 2013

no, the winters sometimes really ARE that bad. the last winter before i moved south (2010) was the third snowiest winter of all time in MN and it was fucking helllllll. literal ice hell. sometimes they enact permanent snow emergencies until the snow melts because the snow will get so built up that a car cannot pass on a street if cars are parked on both sides.

that said, minneapolis is still my second favorite city in the entire country and i would move back there in .2 seconds. 

edit: hm, maybe you're from MN. i do kind of wish i had been home for the thundersnow today. i love weird weather like that (although i'm sure everyone could've done without the corresponding 8+ inches of snow).

Hmm well yes the winters are cold. But I contend that you barely notice it, because you just don't go outside in the winter... you stay inside where it's nice and toasty, ride in heated cars, or bundle up like it's the last day on earth. 

The summer are also really nice!

Hmm well yes the winters are cold. But I contend that you barely notice it, because you just don't go outside in the winter... you stay inside where it's nice and toasty, ride in heated cars, or bundle up like it's the last day on earth. 

The summer are also really nice!

Eek.  Not sure I could manage that.  I have a somewhat labrador-esque need to run around on a daily basis if I'm going to get any work done.  That said, I'm looking at the Rockies out my hotel window right now, so I expect I'll have my decision after I get done with today's visit.  The good news: there doesn't appear to be a wrong choice.  Thanks for all the support!

Edit:  Wait, maybe those are flatirons?  Do they count as part of the Rockies?  I have no idea where I am.

Edited by thebeatgoeson

So... is there like, some deadline soon by which I have to decide?   SOMEBODY DECIDE FOR ME. I will decide for you.
Okay, I'll decide for you. I'm making the decision based on what's best for your career and your future. Buffalo. Ranked higher in times higher education overall and us news english. Better reputation overall. Don't think, just do it, you can trust me. Now if someone will decide between Illinois Austin and unc for me I'll give them a life supply of chocolate.

Okay, I'll decide for you. I'm making the decision based on what's best for your career and your future. Buffalo. Ranked higher in times higher education overall and us news english. Better reputation overall. Don't think, just do it, you can trust me. Now if someone will decide between Illinois Austin and unc for me I'll give them a life supply of chocolate.

UNC. You're welcome.

Okay, I'll decide for you. I'm making the decision based on what's best for your career and your future. Buffalo. Ranked higher in times higher education overall and us news english. Better reputation overall. Don't think, just do it, you can trust me.

If I were you, asleepawake, I'd say fuck the rankings and go to WVU. From what you've said they have great people and archives that you want to work with. Not to mention, they have a much better placement rate than Buffalo. Then again, I'm in the "I want a job" camp, not the "I want an important prestigious job" camp.

YMMV.

If I were you, asleepawake, I'd say fuck the rankings and go to WVU. From what you've said they have great people and archives that you want to work with. Not to mention, they have a much better placement rate than Buffalo. Then again, I'm in the "I want a job" camp, not the "I want an important prestigious job" camp.

YMMV.

Everything evens out. Even gradcafe comments.

The thing is that Buffalo has great people, too.

AIUHFOIASJDNAMPIDOAMSFIOSDMGPOISDFJKOIDAKSD<OASP<DASD/

I think the problem is you're spending too much time thinking about them in comparison to each other, so here's what my advice is:

Tomorrow, spend all day thinking about going to Buffalo.  Think about every single good thing and every single bad thing.  Don't even let West Virginia cross your mind.

Sunday, spend all day thinking about going to WVU.  Think about every single good thing and every single bad thing.  Don't even let Buffalo cross your mind.

At the end of Sunday, think about which one gets you more excited and which one gets you in a better position for what you want to do.  There should be one that comes out on top, even if it's not by much.  That's where you go.  Then send off your emails, click "accept" for one, "decline" for another on the websites, drink a bottle of gin and go to bed.

I think the problem is you're spending too much time thinking about them in comparison to each other, so here's what my advice is:

Tomorrow, spend all day thinking about going to Buffalo.  Think about every single good thing and every single bad thing.  Don't even let West Virginia cross your mind.

Sunday, spend all day thinking about going to WVU.  Think about every single good thing and every single bad thing.  Don't even let Buffalo cross your mind.

At the end of Sunday, think about which one gets you more excited and which one gets you in a better position for what you want to do.  There should be one that comes out on top, even if it's not by much.  That's where you go.  Then send off your emails, click "accept" for one, "decline" for another on the websites, drink a bottle of gin and go to bed.

Thank you. This is a goo idea.

Actually, I did more or less what Data suggested. Afterwards, I realised that if I chose University A over University B, I was upset about not attending university B. That's when I realized B was the right choice.

But that said, there are no right or wrong choices. There are only decisions.

Edited by Porridge

LOL guys it's too late for me to edit "goo advice."

I am agonizing over this. I don't know what I am going to do... I am so thankful to be having this problem, but still... is it the 15th yet?

I mean, right? :/ You'll make a great decision!

Just committed to the University of Colorado.  Huzzah!

Congrats! It seems like the program is evolving in a really positive direction.  Plus, my impression during my visit was that students and faculty alike were happy, supportive, and doing interesting work. So I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Also Boulder is pretty great! (It's my hometown so I'm a bit partial, but feel free to PM if you have any questions) :)