Final Decision Thread 2013

Also, now that many of us have heard back from all or most of our schools, and some of us have even decided where we will attend, have ya'll shook the email checking addiction? Even though my inbox is now pretty tame, I still compulsively check it all the time. I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO STOP. 

Also, now that many of us have heard back from all or most of our schools, and some of us have even decided where we will attend, have ya'll shook the email checking addiction? Even though my inbox is now pretty tame, I still compulsively check it all the time. I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO STOP. 

Shake the email checking?! I can't even stop checking the results board and I already accepted an offer...

I wonder how many GCers from last years' season still come on here to see how the new crop of applicants are faring.

Well I accepted an very generous, fully-funded MA offer from Villanova. However, the day before yesterday, I Dr. Jay contacted me indicating that I was "at the top" of Maryland's WL for a PhD, with 5 students yet to respond. I am an utter mess right now. If, by some chance, I get into UMD would it be terrible to renege on Villanova?

I just wish I could have a conclusive answer! I thought I was rejected from UMD this whole time!

Well I accepted an very generous, fully-funded MA offer from Villanova. However, the day before yesterday, I Dr. Jay contacted me indicating that I was "at the top" of Maryland's WL for a PhD, with 5 students yet to respond. I am an utter mess right now. If, by some chance, I get into UMD would it be terrible to renege on Villanova?

I just wish I could have a conclusive answer! I thought I was rejected from UMD this whole time!

I know a lot of people in this same situation. Email Villanova and tell them your current situation. You have a moral obligation to accept, but schools understand that this process is crazy on both ends, and they should understand if you contact them early.

I don't really think you can turn down the PhD offer (should it come through) just out of deference to decorum

Edited by thestage

I don't really think you can turn down the PhD offer (should it come through) just out of deference to decorum

So my advisor agreed! I just want to know!

This would be my case in the event Maryland comes through!

that poll is bogus. it won't let you vote "no ma" since if you answer no on the first question the second question isn't applicable, but there's no "not applicable" option and it gives you an error message if you leave it blank. so it's probably way skewed towards "yes."

in my program, more people come in without mas than with, but there are a number of people who have them.

that poll is bogus. it won't let you vote "no ma" since if you answer no on the first question the second question isn't applicable, but there's no "not applicable" option and it gives you an error message if you leave it blank. so it's probably way skewed towards "yes."

in my program, more people come in without mas than with, but there are a number of people who have them.

Ah, I see what you mean. That's why there are more respondents for the second question than those who actually have an MA. 

Ah, I see what you mean. That's why there are more respondents for the second question than those who actually have an MA. 

yeah - most people who tried to vote "no" probably gave up after getting the error message which means their votes weren't counted, and all the people who successfully voted "no" had to just randomly pick an answer for the second, so that part is skewed, too.