Final Decision Thread 2013

That's great, buying a house would definitely make for a more desirable living situation, but it would be hard to make such a big decision without knowing more about the area. I'm looking in Takoma Park, Silver Spring and Greenbelt primarily, though I've seen some good options in Bethesda too. We really don't want to get stuck with an apartment complex, but it's a bit early now to find a townhouse or duplex that will be available in August, when we plan to move. I'm torn between the convenience of places like Greenbelt, where I could get to the university by shuttle or metro without any driving required, and the nicer housing options that are 30-40 minutes out. Ideally, I'd like to find a duplex or townhouse between 10 and 20 minutes from campus, but I feel like it's harder to find privately owned, smaller units like that in advance and from across the country.

Just a word of advice, in case you aren't familiar with the area--the DC suburb housing can get pretty expensive (2-bedroom townhouses selling for $400k in some of the "nicer" areas), though there are of course some good finds and places for students too--but my thought is that those places will be rentals. As far as living farther away, the area also has some pretty crappy traffic, so I would recommend getting as close to campus as possible. Definitely do not live somewhere where you would need to take 495 or 95. Seriously, ugh, don't do it.

Just my $.02, of course. But I lived about 6 miles from my job outside Baltimore (which has a slightly-less-evil 695 beltway) and it sometimes took me 45 minutes or more to get home (with no traffic it was about 15 minutes). That's the #1 reason I quit that job. :wacko:

Feels nice to say that it's finally official -- will be attending the University of Maine next year! Now just to minimize my belongings enough to fit in my rather compact car and move it all across the country.  :rolleyes:

Beet-Nik, we'll probably be passing each other on the way. I'm moving from Maine (Portland - I assume you'll be in Orono) to Arizona. Good luck to ya! You'll love Maine!

Beet-Nik, we'll probably be passing each other on the way. I'm moving from Maine (Portland - I assume you'll be in Orono) to Arizona. Good luck to ya! You'll love Maine!

Ah, we will! And coincidentally, I was born in Arizona...it'll be hot when you get there, but you get used to it pretty quickly  :) Good luck to you on your journey as well!

Just a word of advice, in case you aren't familiar with the area--the DC suburb housing can get pretty expensive (2-bedroom townhouses selling for $400k in some of the "nicer" areas), though there are of course some good finds and places for students too--but my thought is that those places will be rentals. As far as living farther away, the area also has some pretty crappy traffic, so I would recommend getting as close to campus as possible. Definitely do not live somewhere where you would need to take 495 or 95. Seriously, ugh, don't do it.

Just my $.02, of course. But I lived about 6 miles from my job outside Baltimore (which has a slightly-less-evil 695 beltway) and it sometimes took me 45 minutes or more to get home (with no traffic it was about 15 minutes). That's the #1 reason I quit that job. :wacko:

Thanks for the insight on the area, bfat. I'm looking for a rental and trying to stay out of the DC area. I definitely want to live either close to campus or somewhere I can take the metro rather than battle traffic, but I wasn't sure whether traffic coming from places like Severn or Bethesda would be as bad. Directions from those places to the university seem to avoid the evil highways you mentioned. Some of the current graduate students said living in Baltimore and commuting works for them, but I can't imagine a 45-minute to 1 1/2-hour drive between school and home working well for me. But I suppose I've been spoiled by living in low-traffic areas.

But I suppose I've been spoiled by living in low-traffic areas.

This is something that terrifies me as I consider some CA schools...

ETA: I currently live about 7 miles from my campus and it takes about 9-11 minutes to get there...

Edited by sebastiansteddy

This is something that terrifies me as I consider some CA schools...

ETA: I currently live about 7 miles from my campus and it takes about 9-11 minutes to get there...

Right? I live less than 2 miles from campus in a pretty small town, so it's never more than a five to seven minute drive. The worst traffic I've driven in is Portland... so venturing into DC is probably going to be scarring.

Thanks for the insight on the area, bfat. I'm looking for a rental and trying to stay out of the DC area. I definitely want to live either close to campus or somewhere I can take the metro rather than battle traffic, but I wasn't sure whether traffic coming from places like Severn or Bethesda would be as bad. Directions from those places to the university seem to avoid the evil highways you mentioned. Some of the current graduate students said living in Baltimore and commuting works for them, but I can't imagine a 45-minute to 1 1/2-hour drive between school and home working well for me. But I suppose I've been spoiled by living in low-traffic areas.

Don't discredit College Park itself! I got my grad and undergrad at UMD, and live in College Park with my husband and young daughter. We bought a house for a GREAT price in 2011, and are happily settled here.  College Park itself is a wonderful haven in Prince George's County if you pick the right neighborhood -- nearby Greenbelt is also a lovely little community. Bethesda is VERY expensive, and the commute from a place like Baltimore would be long and just a huge pain. Hyattsville is also undergoing a resurgence of sorts in the arts district.  These areas are within 5-10 minutes of UMD, and are inside the Beltway, but are not at all like living in DC. Rent is still expensive, but it is possible to also buy in these areas (someone else going to UMD expressed interest in buying).  The surrounding, richer counties are very expensive.  An advantage to buying in College Park is that the prices are lower, you might still be able to find something reasonable even though now prices are rising again.  It just isn't possible to find a house for under $250,000 in Silver Spring/Bethesda/Rockville areas.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the College Park area! I just was offered the English MA in lieu of the PhD program (which is sad and exciting all at one) -- I'm still weighing my options.

^ Yes, indeed. Even though I'm 99% sure of my choice, the fact that I remain on two waitlists makes me hesitate for no reason I can discern. It would have to be a phenomenally strong offer (off a waitlist, even) to change my mind.

Just sent my acceptance notes to UMass-Amherst. I delayed for a few days because I had a strange fear of finalizing the entire process.

Anyone else feel similarly? 

Yes, but I think that's natural.  It's a huge decision that will determine where you'll be the next five years.  I've been very hesitant on pulling the trigger, even though I am leaning more toward one school I've been accepted to than the other.

Also, since we're on page four already, here's the list for people to add themselves to: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UN6wbbIFRmKTvGb_zPMgRdWmVf-pkTO0fU8ikGshkPM/edit

Yes, but I think that's natural. It's a huge decision that will determine where you'll be the next five years. I've been very hesitant on pulling the trigger, even though I am leaning more toward one school I've been accepted to than the other.

Also, since we're on page four already, here's the list for people to add themselves to: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UN6wbbIFRmKTvGb_zPMgRdWmVf-pkTO0fU8ikGshkPM/edit

Are you still holding out any hope for your waitlists to convert?

Yes and no.  Texas Tech has indicated that I'm very likely to receive an offer, but I have no real idea about Tennessee and will need to check back in with them to see if there's been any movement on the waitlist.  That's another reason I'm hesitant to accept an offer - I want to know for sure what my options are.

Yes and no.  Texas Tech has indicated that I'm very likely to receive an offer, but I have no real idea about Tennessee and will need to check back in with them to see if there's been any movement on the waitlist.  That's another reason I'm hesitant to accept an offer - I want to know for sure what my options are.

Ah, I can see why you would be reticent. It's awesome that they're giving you hope; I hope things work out!

I was recently admitted to UMass-Amherst with full funding.

The question now is: Umass vs. UW-Madison?

I was offered full funding from both. What do you guys think?

Definitely Madison. That program sounds amazing and I think it's one that's continually getting better, you know? Plus, one of my friends is heading there in the fall and she said that the visit weekend was really amazing and everyone was super friendly. Not that UMass isn't full of great people, but I'd personally go to Madison.

I think it's a difficult decision; they're both wonderful programs. All things being equal, choose the place with the faculty you most want to work with.

i know people in both departments, and say firmly: definitely madison. no question.

Edited by planesandtrains

Are you still holding out any hope for your waitlists to convert?

DGS @ Pitt and my POI were both extremely understanding--they said one film admit has declined and one has deferred (?) so it's quite likely they will admit a film person if they do end up resorting to the waitlist. But, it's basically still a bit early (or was, when I had these exchanges about 2 weeks ago). I don't know...6 people turning down sounds like a lot.

USC hasn't been in touch. I'll try shooting my POI there an email.

I'm neutral either way, at this point. I love, love my POI at Pitt, but there are several amazing faculty members at Yale whose work relates to my interests very closely. And the program there is making a clear push into my areas. 

USC would be something to consider, but it'd have to be a damned good offer. Fit, again, is far better at Yale. 

Is anyone else having a really hard time composing e-mails to schools they are declining? I feel so bad! But of course, I don't want to dilly dally too much for the sake of the waitlisters...

Is anyone else having a really hard time composing e-mails to schools they are declining? I feel so bad! But of course, I don't want to dilly dally too much for the sake of the waitlisters...

Yes. I had a hard time, especially contacting DGS's I had a really good connection with. It helps to remember that they understand that this is part of the process; this happens every year. Do not be surprised if they ask you where you are going and why. You don't have to answer, but it helps them with recruitment. 

If it helps, here is the basic template I used: 

Thank you so much for the offer to the PhD program in English at University X. I am emailing you to let you know that I have accepted another offer, so I will not be attending University X this fall. I am so honored to have been accepted to University X, and I hope to work with faculty and students from University X throughout my career.