HGSE Fall 2014

Edupunk

Been wanting to start this forum for a while. Who's applying to HGSE this year? 

I've got my sights locked squarely on TIE, and come at it from the field of test prep. I've been teaching for over 10 years in the private education industry, and currently own an academy in the Gangnam area of Seoul, Korea. 

Really hoping to get the chance to connect with others who are passionate about education, and to be at the forefront of the movement toward online, personalized, adaptive learning. 

Best of luck to all Fall 2014 applicants! We Fall 2013ers are getting ducks lined up in a row for grad school as we type and send good vibes your way. :)

By the way, to future GradCafers who will read this thread and past threads: the HGSE newsletter that comes a day (or a few days) before your decisions are anticipated has nothing to do with your admission decision. I didn't get that newsletter and was utterly convinced that I'd been rejected, but I got in! Just to save you a little bit of worrying, haha. It's the little things that get you when you're waiting to find out where you get in!

• 1 month later...

I plan on applying to Harvard GSE (Higher Education Administration).  I'm excited to be attending an education conference at Harvard this summer for a week--hopefully this will give me a taste of HGSE.

Best wishes all! Hope to see you at the admitted students events next Spring! It was a wonderfully, exciting, stressful, emotional process, but well worth the payoff! Go Crimson!

• 4 weeks later...

Long time lurker, first time poster here. 

I am applying for the program this fall, and I am super nervous. 

I will have many questions along the way, and this site is perfect for that!!!!!

Good luck to us all!

• 2 weeks later...

Still deciding if I want to apply this or next year.  Maybe some of you guys can help me with my decision!

I already have a MAT but decided not to pursue a teaching career after completing it (funny thing is, I did a lot of teaching and tutuoring before I finished my program).  I've been doing a lot of college admissions counseling during this gap year which has led me to think about going back to school and getting another master.  If I were to apply this year, I'm thinking it will either to HGSE's PSP or HEP (with concentration in student affairs) program.  Any advice?

Oh yeah @Panda7099: Which conference are you going to in Boston?

Best of luck to those who are applying this year, can't wait to hear from everyone!

Edited by chiachitso

Still deciding if I want to apply this or next year.  Maybe some of you guys can help me with my decision!

I already have a MAT but decided not to pursue a teaching career after completing it (funny thing is, I did a lot of teaching and tutuoring before I finished my program).  I've been doing a lot of college admissions counseling during this gap year which has led me to think about going back to school and getting another master.  If I were to apply this year, I'm thinking it will either to HGSE's PSP or HEP (with concentration in student affairs) program.  Any advice?

Oh yeah @Panda7099: Which conference are you going to in Boston?

Best of luck to those who are applying this year, can't wait to hear from everyone!

I am going to the Harvard Summer Institute on College Admissions--I am SO excited!!

As far as Harvard, part of the appeal is certainly Boston--just so many opportunities in the area (EdTech, college access organizations, independent schools, colleges) for higher education.  

I am going to the Harvard Summer Institute on College Admissions--I am SO excited!!

As far as Harvard, part of the appeal is certainly Boston--just so many opportunities in the area (EdTech, college access organizations, independent schools, colleges) for higher education.  

Nice! Have fun, I'm sure its going to be very intellectually invigorating!

I live in Boston right now and I have to say you're correct on the opportunities department.  There's just so much going on in this city and schools are almost on every other block.  Besides the harsh winters, horrible drivers, and crazy sports fans, you're in for a treat.

I am applying for the School Leadership (Masters) program for Fall 2014.

I've taught for 3 years in the United States (Georgia)

4 years overseas (United Arab Emirates) 2 teaching and 2 administrative

Completing a doctorate (ABD) and will defend in December.

I am a little worried about my old GRE scores (1090) 600 Math 490 Verbal 5.0 AW.

I have been studying for my GRE to take it in a about 8 weeks. I was wondering what scores I should shoot for for HGSE? Yes, I know the application process is 'holistic', but I just want a goal to shoot for. 

I have everything I need to get in (I think) besides the GRE. Thanks for the help. 

General Record Test (GRE)

Ed.D. students

Verbal Average: 91.5 (percentile)

Quantitative Average: 77.6 (percentile)

Analytical Writing Average: 5.1

Ed.M.  students

Verbal Average: 83.1 (percentile)

Quantitative Average: 66.6 (percentile)

Analytical Writing Average: 4.7

Read more:http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/live/class_profile.html#ixzz2Wg31YQBI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Everyone on this thread and the 13-14 thread seems so supportive, it's awesome. I am interested in applying to the new PhD program in Human Development, Learning and Teaching. Does anyone have insight into this program? I think this might be very, very much a pipe dream for me, but I've always wanted to go all the way and earn my PhD and this might be a fantastic opportunity. I am super passionate about childhood education and urban education and...yeah I'm excited.

Here are my stats:

BA (small liberal arts) 3.4, MA, 3.6 (well known private uni) MS 3.9 in K-6 Education

NYC Teach for America Alum

2 years in top performing NYC charter school, 2 additional years at another top performing charter (4 total teaching years)

I still need to take the GRE, and way back when I did terribly, but I think I might like this new test! We will see :)

If you'd like added evidence that the application is holistic: my GRE quantitative score was in the... uh... 39th? percentile. Oh, dear. :) And I still got in!

(Edit, because I just looked it up: 37th percentile, actually!)

Edited by merrysoprano

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on applying this year, too! Relieving to see others feeling the pressure as well. I'm looking at IEP with a branch over to the TIE program. Aiming to increase international access to edtech advances. I work at an EdTech company now in SF and have taught English in Asia and South America, with that and good GPA/GRE, I'm hoping that will put me over the edge! Talk about nerve racking. Having trouble getting over the awesomeness of the course offerings to even seriously put other schools on my list. Hope you guys will all be around in the spring when we're getting sick over decisions (and then crying tears of joy, of course!).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rob! Thanks for offering up your services! I find the Ed LD pretty interesting, but ultimately my heart resides in international education, so for the time being I'll aim for the masters and then down the road hopefully I'll find myself pursuing further degrees. :) Some very general, related questions: How would you define the education "atmosphere" within HGSE? Are the cohorts very segmented or do they overlap fluidly? Do the profs seem accessible, even to masters students? You general "how is it on the other side?" type questions.

Hi NoChance. Good questions. I have been pleasantly surprised at how supportive HGSE is to each student, no matter the program, and how close-knit the HGSE community is in general. 

Perhaps a bit of context might help. This year at HGSE, about 600 Master's Degree candidates from various programs and interests at HGSE were admitted for one year (in a few cases two). Cohorts of 25 Ed.L.D. and 25 Ed.D. students were admitted, joining  multiple 2nd year and beyond doctoral students. The HGSE consists of three buildings: Gutman library, Larsen Hall, and Longfellow Hall, all within a few feet of each other on Appian way. The majority of the courses are integrated, though the sheer numbers definitely favor Master's Degree students. Students of all programs seem to make an effort to reach out of their own program to form contacts and networks in other areas.

Because the buildings are so close together and because we take some of the same courses and study together, HGSE students cross paths a lot. We are on a first name basis with our professors, which kind of symbolizes the type of collegiality that I've found. While I have only interacted with my own professors, they have all been available for lunches, office hours, and other kinds of help. I've found mine to be highly accomplished, yet very responsive and helpful. I would say that the teaching here ranges from good to amazing. All course evaluations (a requirement for you to get your grade) are published for students to read before selecting classes.

The tough part is probably getting admitted. Once you are there, they provide a lot of support. And the resources and access to all Harvard students is absolutely incredible. 

Now what I have said about HGSE may not carry over to other schools. I have noticed that other schools (Business, Law, Harvard College, etc.) function as separate silos. You'll notice a lot of disparity from one school to the next (even cultural and practical ways of doing business), which may affect you if you choose to take courses in other schools. I also hold out the possibility that things can get worse as time goes on, but so far, it has been outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering applying for an MA in Teacher's Ed at HGSE but my GRE scores are not up to par... I scored 156 on both quant and verbal, and a 5.5 in the writing. I graduated with a 3.9 from a good public uni, but I do not have much work experience in an educational environment since I just recently graduated. Should I bother? 

I'm considering applying for an MA in Teacher's Ed at HGSE but my GRE scores are not up to par... I scored 156 on both quant and verbal, and a 5.5 in the writing. I graduated with a 3.9 from a good public uni, but I do not have much work experience in an educational environment since I just recently graduated. Should I bother? 

While I'm not terribly familiar with the admissions requirements for that particular program, I might just comment on admissions in general.

From my perspective, it appears HGSE is looking for a well-rounded class of students rather than merely those with top scores. If you feel a certain section of your application is weak, then you'll want to consider how the rest of the application looks.

Should you choose to apply, consider your statement of purpose as the biggest priority. Ensure that readers and admissions reviewers get a good sense of who you are and why you're a good fit. Engage those who know you well to write recommendation letters to further reinforce the narrative. Then, use your strengths, experience, and resiliency from your life to create a case for yourself in the rest of the application. 

Good luck!

HGSE 2014, Ed.M in International Education Policy Applicant!

Hello everyone! Who here has already taken their GRE? I am scheduled to take mine tomorrow in Lima, Peru. 

My question is whehter anyone recommends: to red bull or to not red bull before the GRE or during the 10 minute break?

Additionally, although we have seen the average scores posted from last years class how much weight do you think

these scores really carry in comparison to all the other application components?

I graduate from my U.S. college roughly over three years ago and let´s just say I have not had to use the

quadratic formula or the foil method in that entire time and I would be perfectly fine with not having to tomorrow either.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Lima, Peru