Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Haha, it really is amazing how much I've learned in just one semester.

Today might not be the best day to ask about life in Madison. It's -4 degrees and dropping. There's a saying around here that Madison would be the best place to live in the country if it weren't for the weather. On days when you have to blink to keep the surface of your eyes from frosting over, you can see where ideas like that come from ( I hope I'm exaggerating, but I haven't kept my eyes open outside long enough to find out.)

Really though, Madison has a lot to like. There's a wonderful microbrew culture if you're into that. The farmers' market in the spring through fall is a big attraction. The capitol building is just a few blocks from campus and there's always some group protesting something with widely varying positions and levels of knowledge outside of it. It's also a very walkable place, with a solid bussing system. I don't own a car and I have no problem getting around or even grocery shopping. Also, people make fun of cheese curds, but if there's a better bar food than a tray of deep fried cheddar curds with some chipotle ranch dipping sauce, I have yet to find it. With the obvious exception of the thermometer (and the wind chill, dear god the wind chill), I really have nothing bad to say about Madison.

That was sort of my impression of Madison. I have a friend who went there for med school, finished, and never left. She's sometimes frustrated by Wisconsin's political climate in general, but she loves Madison. If I'd known about the cheddar curds with chipotle ranch dipping sauce, they might have made it into my SOP.

Thanks again!

Congratulations to the other UIUC admit, and to the Purdue admit!  :)

I am the new UIUC admit, so thanks! It sure is a nice feeling to be in somewhere. I can get used to this really fast :)

I just noticed that I made a mistake reporting the GRE scores in the results board - verbal and quant should be switched. 

Time to update the signature!

Also, to those accepted at Boulder. I hope you recieve lots of other offers from higher ranking schools with full funding and stipends! Meh, Boulder isn't the best school ever or anything, I am sure a top 20 school will suit your intelligence much more. I have absolutely no ulterior motives obviously; I just want you guys to reach your greatest potential :P

Also, Congrats Gnome.

Edited by sylark

I am out of "positive" points again, so I have to use human words: good job, The Gnome! It sure is a nice feeling, and I hope you'll get even more taste of it as other schools will start sending out their acceptances. ;) 

I am the new UIUC admit, so thanks! It sure is a nice feeling to be in somewhere. I can get used to this really fast :)

I just noticed that I made a mistake reporting the GRE scores in the results board - verbal and quant should be switched. 

Time to update the signature!

Congrats! I've been lurking here a very long time.... so I am very happy to see a gradcafe regular get an acceptance that is well-deserved! 

One of the Boulder ones is me. I am super happy, especially given that the last year I got rejected everywhere (and oh boy did they take their time with my rejections!)

Sylark, I wouldn't despair quite yet. I got a very late email (it should have been 10 pm in the US), and my MyCUBoulder account still says "Application complete". So obviously, these things are being processed within that hamster powered system you guys keep referring to (which I don't know). 

Edited by jeudepaume

One of the Boulder ones is me. I am super happy, especially given that the last year I got rejected everywhere (and oh boy did they take their time with my rejections!)

Sylark, I wouldn't despair quite yet. I got a very late email (it should have been 10 pm in the US), and my MyCUBoulder account still says "Application complete". So obviously, these things are being processed within that hamster powered system you guys keep referring to (which I don't know). 

First off, I am genuinely happy for you, especially given the rejection you faced last year.

Oh good, I will refrain from neurotically clicking the refresh button on the website! Perhaps interested faculty will notify me tomorrow? Finger-crossed. Thanks.

I am out of "positive" points again, so I have to use human words: good job, The Gnome! It sure is a nice feeling, and I hope you'll get even more taste of it as other schools will start sending out their acceptances. ;)

Congrats! I've been lurking here a very long time.... so I am very happy to see a gradcafe regular get an acceptance that is well-deserved! 

Thanks folks. I am sure we will have a lot more opportunities to celebrate things together. 

jeudepaume, your signature shows one acceptance, how did I miss that one? Congrats!! Sorry, if you had already shared the news with us

and IOGS, welcome to the community of over-anxious page refreshers who understand what you are going through better than anyone :)

Edit: OK I just saw your post up there jeudepaume. In my defense though, it was not there while I was composing my post. I've been through the flat out rejection phase before, so I know how it must feel. Congrats again!!

Edited by TheGnome

Oh good, I will refrain from neurotically clicking the refresh button on the website! Perhaps interested faculty will notify me tomorrow? Finger-crossed. Thanks.

I sincerely hope so! Indeed, fingers-crossed. )

I really have nothing bad to say about Madison.

Hey dmet, I will go ahead and ask the most superficial question out there. How do you survive on the allegedly small (according to one user, small) stipend? 

Congrats, TMCB! Soo glad your hard work paid off!

Of course, congrats also to anyone else who was accepted. I am sure all of them were well-deserved!

The rest: Don't lose hope!

Edited by IRToni

Congrats, TMCB! Soo glad your hard work paid off!

Thanks, IRToni! Only 8 more chances for heartbreak. :)

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel, yet. It didn't help that I read the e-mail groggily as I woke up on my phone. If it had come last night while I stared at my inbox, I'd probably have stopped breathing.

Q for the Boulder people: What does "funding decided after recruitment weekend mean?"

Not sure entirely. Boulder funds exclusively (?) through TAs, and they do TA assignments after a.) meeting the students at recruitment weekend or b.) talking with them first on the phone/Skype. The gist of the e-mail I got seemed to want to imply that I'd be funded through a TA, but was unable to do so firmly. So likely decisions on funding are made early March.

Q for the Boulder people: What does "funding decided after recruitment weekend mean?"

Yeah, that troubles me. It sounds as if it is decided based on the recruitment weekend (as it says that if you can't come you can Skype with them).

So the relief is not complete: there is a possibility that there gonna be no funding (?).

Edited by jeudepaume

So, since they will send decisions prior to February, for those that have not been contacted, will we either recieve a rejection or waitlist before the end of the month?

So, since they will send decisions prior to February, for those that have not been contacted, will we either recieve a rejection or waitlist before the end of the month?

That seems to be what they've implied, though that isn't true historically. I wouldn't count yourself out yet, though. It seems that Boulder doesn't always admit everyone at the same time, according to the results page. That could be why they announced first admits this week, so they could do the rest next week?

That seems to be what they've implied, though that isn't true historically. I wouldn't count yourself out yet, though. It seems that Boulder doesn't always admit everyone at the same time, according to the results page. That could be why they announced first admits this week, so they could do the rest next week?

Yeah, I noticed there was always a second round of admits in the past few years. Many of which were theory subfielders.

I wonder if they decided their top 15 picks, and are now deciding their next 15 picks. Basically, their sure-bet acceptances, and now they are trying to sift through boarderline applicants to either admit or waitlist.

Is it weird to call and ask? They may explain to me if I have been outright rejected or if I am still under consideration.

Thanks for clarifying. Strange system, but it might depend also on whether they believe you'd be able to be an effective TA? Good luck everyone!

Well, my application in all honesty doesn't demonstrate an ability to TA/RA. Though, they might see academic potential.

This could very well explain the two waves of admission decisions observed in recent years.

Yeah, I noticed there was always a second round of admits in the past few years. Many of which were theory subfielders.

I wonder if they decided their top 15 picks, and are now deciding their next 15 picks. Basically, their sure-bet acceptances, and now they are trying to sift through boarderline applicants to either admit or waitlist.

Is it weird to call and ask? They may explain to me if I have been outright rejected or if I am still under consideration.

It isn't weird to call and ask, but you'll have to ask yourself: if they decide to reveal their decision on the phone, do you really want to find out bad news that way?