Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Congrats to those with an acceptance! A special congrats to OSU admits! Bear is an incredible person and should be reason enough to be excited for visitation week. If any of you have questions concerning OSU, I would be happy to discuss them. Feel free to pm me. 

The season for admissions is still young my friends. Very young!

Congrats to those with an acceptance! A special congrats to OSU admits! Bear is an incredible person and should be reason enough to be excited for visitation week. If any of you have questions concerning OSU, I would be happy to discuss them. Feel free to pm me. 

The season for admissions is still young my friends. Very young!

you already made you decisions? what is your 14-school portfolio made of? very curious about that.

what if some solid top-10 accept you?

Congrats to those with an acceptance! A special congrats to OSU admits! Bear is an incredible person and should be reason enough to be excited for visitation week.

Why, thank you! Great way to start the weekend....

This is at best 3rd hand information, so take it with an enormous block of salt, but the rumor is that decisions are made and ~48 people will be getting acceptance letters. I can't stress enough how skeptically you should take this, as I have no direct connection to those making decisions.

University of Chicago sent out acceptances February 5th last year, so I would expect them to begin reaching out for interviews any second. Maybe they already have!  :wacko:

University of Chicago sent out acceptances February 5th last year, so I would expect them to begin reaching out for interviews any second. Maybe they already have!  :wacko:

I dont think Chicago interviews, but I also do think that decision from them should be coming soon! 

This is at best 3rd hand information, so take it with an enormous block of salt, but the rumor is that decisions are made and ~48 people will be getting acceptance letters. I can't stress enough how skeptically you should take this, as I have no direct connection to those making decisions.

have to love insider info! 

Assuming it is true, do you think those will be sent through snail mail, or mass email over the weekend?

How were you contacted last year? 

I got a spam email from Columbia's MA in quantitative social science. I'd have ignored it as just another blast email, but it came from the program via a list-serv they set up, rather than the typical Princeton Review stuff, and the generic body claims I was "identified" as a potential candidate. Should I view that as indicative of anything?

Did you select to allow schools to contact you when you were taking the GREs though? It could also be just that

Edited to add: (Ack, many pages behind after not checking in all day, didn't see that there were subsequent responses at first)

Columbia asks if you are willing to be considered for their MA on their phd app. If you've checked yes, it could be that they just decided to send everyone who checked yes a mass QMSS program email. 

I also got a mass email from Columbia for the Quant MA, despite not having applied to the program. My guess is that they're fishing from the ETS databases.

I checked yes on my application, didn't receive the e-mail. Would be inclined to think they are going off the ETS databases then. (But if they are...that's slightly worrisome. I'd thought my quant score was pretty decent D: Guess not?)

Edited by veritaserum

I checked yes on my application, didn't receive the e-mail. Would be inclined to think they are going off the ETS databases then. (But if they are...that's slightly worrisome. I'd thought my quant score was pretty decent D: Guess not?)

And...I just realized my logic fail there. If they're sending out e-mails recruiting potential applicants, it wouldn't make sense to send that to people who technically already are applicants (or may be, depending on how the PhD application pans out, for some). 

The only defense I can really come up with is that it's 2 in the morning Eastern time... 

Really hoping the answer to this question includes Pittsburgh and UC-Santa Barbara :)

Ditto on Pitt. Last year they did acceptances and waitlists between Jan. 31 and Feb. 1. I'd guess that the 29 or 30 is possible this year for acceptances so that they can still do waitlists before the week ends.

Would be inclined to think they are going off the ETS databases then. (But if they are...that's slightly worrisome. I'd thought my quant score was pretty decent D: Guess not?)

In addition to the point about applicant pools that you raised above, I want to add that I wouldn't use that email as an indicator that it's time to worry about your Quant score.   My own quant was decent, but nothing to roll the red carpet out over.  

You/ your advisors/  the results of frenzied pre-application internet searches concluded that the score you had in December was good enough for your applications. That Columbia is looking to pad their revenue stream shouldn't undermine your confidence in two-months-ago you! 

For what it's worth, I did opt-in to the ETS search.

For those considering Boulder, you might like to take heart in knowing how competitive your application was: applications to University of Colorado are up 33 per cent this year.

http://cannabispatientsalliance.org/2014/01/23/reality-check-the-impacts-of-retail-marijuana-on-colorado/

Congratulations again!

* Skeptical of the logic of the argument in the article though.

Edited by o.j.

For those considering Boulder, you might like to take heart in knowing how competitive your application was: applications to University of Colorado are up 33 per cent this year.

http://cannabispatientsalliance.org/2014/01/23/reality-check-the-impacts-of-retail-marijuana-on-colorado/

Congratulations again!

* Skeptical of the logic of the argument in the article though.

Haha. Although, I believe that 33% number is specifically referring to undergraduate applications, which are on an upward trajectory nationwide (schools are spending a lot of money to be able to reject more people). From the school's newspaper: "More likely, the increase was a result of CU recruiters visiting an extra 120 high schools last fall. Plus, the university began using the Common Application, which makes it easier for prospective students to apply to more schools."

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Is there any reason to feverishly check email/websites over the weekend? Do any schools generate emails or update their websites on Saturday or Sunday? It's a gorgeous day for a hike here on the left side of the country.

(About to check AT&T's coverage map... maybe the trail has 4G and I don't have to choose!)

Is there any reason to feverishly check email/websites over the weekend? Do any schools generate emails or update their websites on Saturday or Sunday? It's a gorgeous day for a hike here on the left side of the country.

(About to check AT&T's coverage map... maybe the trail has 4G and I don't have to choose!)

Although my application season was a few years ago, I remember getting admission decision emails from a few places on Saturdays. Even so, go out on the trail. Nothing you get via email today can't wait a few hours.

Although my application season was a few years ago, I remember getting admission decision emails from a few places on Saturdays. Even so, go out on the trail. Nothing you get via email today can't wait a few hours.

I looked at the last two seasons of gradcafe results and found a decent number of weekend notifications, but essentially none in January. Gear up and go hiking!

2012 2013 mean

jan   0    3   1.5

feb  74   76  75

mar  10   15  12.5

apr   5    2   3.5

Edited by xuejia

According to my carrier, the trail is fully covered. I'm turning off all notifications except the email address I used for admissions. This way I don't have to touch my phone unless something comes in to that account.

My friend in Madison just told me that the wind chill will make it feel like 40 below zero there on Monday. Brr!

It is. Over the course of the day, I've repeatedly looked at my inbox in disbelief... no new messages from gradcafe. For some reason I'm having a much harder time not freaking out over applications this year. Last year was comparatively very easy. Hope you're all managing to stay sane!