Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Congrats to all the admits! It's really cool to see people getting in and being elated.  :) 

Is anybody else's Gmail not working/giving a temporary error? Even though my schools are not sending out decisions for another month, of course this service disruption is bothering me way more than it should. What if a POI emails me?!

Hi Qeta,

I am also applying to study South Asia. Which places have you applied to?

I am struggling to repress my urge to e-mail OSU to get some closure on that front. Ugh.

You should do it (if you want closure). You already have an acceptance, so if it is bad, you won't feel totally terrible. 

Edited by IOGS

I am struggling to repress my urge to e-mail OSU to get some closure on that front. Ugh.

Honestly, without The Gradcafe, you wouldn't probably know anything about the status of OSU admissions. I would hesitate to email them and would actually feel bad for giving the grad school office yet another thing to do.

Honestly, without The Gradcafe, you wouldn't probably know anything about the status of OSU admissions. I would hesitate to email them and would actually feel bad for giving the grad school office yet another thing to do.

This is true, but I wasn't actually using GradCafe when BFB was giving out details. The info I received from my POI was radically different (I guess he was just excited) from the BFB version of admissions, so I had no problem emailing him. 

This is true, but I wasn't actually using GradCafe when BFB was giving out details. The info I received from my POI was radically different (I guess he was just excited) from the BFB version of admissions, so I had no problem emailing him. 

Oh okay, that's fair enough!

My thoughts exactly. I guess I will just wait for the process to unfold. 

Oh and I just received intel on the hamster-powered system of the OSU:

a50df48f-5fc7-48e1-a8cd-ddcd9c99db20_thu

And I will say that I've been pretty expansive in my selection. It's a good excuse to acquaint myself better with different wines. I had a Chilean Carmenere this week - it was, of all things, spicy. Originally from the vineyards of Bordeaux, it's rare in France now.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

And I will say that I've been pretty expansive in my selection. It's a good excuse to acquaint myself better with different wines. I had a Chilean Carmenere this week - it was, of all things, spicy. Originally from the vineyards of Bordeaux, it's rare in France now.

I've also been into the wine.  (Incidentally, I take my coffee black. Are we the same person?)

If you're looking for new and interesting reds to drink, see if you can get your hands on a ruché.  I think they're not considered prestigious, but the one I had tasted like roses. Was very cool. Even better, slightly looked down on also means decently cheap!

Edited to add: "tasted like roses" doesn't mean "sweet and gross," but rather "distinctive floral aromas."

Edited by anxious_one

I got a spam email from Columbia's MA in quantitative social science. I'd have ignored it as just another blast email, but it came from the program via a list-serv they set up, rather than the typical Princeton Review stuff, and the generic body claims I was "identified" as a potential candidate. Should I view that as indicative of anything?

I've also been into the wine.  (Incidentally, I take my coffee black. Are we the same person?)

If you're looking for new and interesting reds to drink, see if you can get your hands on a ruché.  I think they're not considered prestigious, but the one I had tasted like roses. Was very cool. Even better, slightly looked down on also means decently cheap!

Edited to add: "tasted like roses" doesn't mean "sweet and gross," but rather "distinctive floral aromas."

I think I'd know if I were you, but one never does know...

I will keep my eyes open for that! It's Italian, right? And that's how I came across the Carmenere. It's used in other grape products, but very rarely for wine. There just isn't a large demand for it.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

I got a spam email from Columbia's MA in quantitative social science. I'd have ignored it as just another blast email, but it came from the program via a list-serv they set up, rather than the typical Princeton Review stuff, and the generic body claims I was "identified" as a potential candidate. Should I view that as indicative of anything?

Could just be that they take applicant data and add it to their list-serv. I wouldn't take it to indicate anything (though I hope I'm wrong as in, they now want you, their Ph.D. admit, to be familiar with their other programs). ;)

Columbia asks if you are willing to be considered for their MA on their phd app. If you've checked yes, it could be that they just decided to send everyone who checked yes a mass QMSS program email. 

I checked no-- but maybe it doesn't matter for simple recruitment emails? In any case, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Columbia asks if you are willing to be considered for their MA on their phd app. If you've checked yes, it could be that they just decided to send everyone who checked yes a mass QMSS program email. 

Could just be that they take applicant data and add it to their list-serv. I wouldn't take it to indicate anything (though I hope I'm wrong as in, they now want you, their Ph.D. admit, to be familiar with their other programs).  ;)

Edited by Zahar Berkut

I think I'd know if I were you, but one never does know...

I will keep my eyes open for that! It's Italian, right? And that's how I came across the Carmenere. It's used in other grape products, but very rarely for wine. There just isn't a large demand for it.

I think that Carménère is also relatively popular from South American vinyards (at least a few years ago, when I was drinking more in the  jammy / spicy range).  Of course, shiraz won the popularity contest, but I vaguely recall seeing a quite a bit of Carmémère from Chile. Might be a good place to look if you find you like the grape.

My impression is that ruché is affiliated with Italy.

One of these days, I'm going to splurge and buy myself a periodic table of wine poster.

I also got a mass email from Columbia for the Quant MA, despite not having applied to the program. My guess is that they're fishing from the ETS databases.

I think that Carménère is also relatively popular from South American vinyards (at least a few years ago, when I was drinking more in the  jammy / spicy range).  Of course, shiraz won the popularity contest, but I vaguely recall seeing a quite a bit of Carmémère from Chile. Might be a good place to look if you find you like the grape.

My impression is that ruché is affiliated with Italy.

One of these days, I'm going to splurge and buy myself a periodic table of wine poster.

I've almost purchased things like this in the past.

I've really taken to the Italian Sangiovese grape recently. I went "oldie but goody" tonight with an Australian Shiraz Cabernet.