Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Yeah, I noticed there was always a second round of admits in the past few years. Many of which were theory subfielders.

I wonder if they decided their top 15 picks, and are now deciding their next 15 picks. Basically, their sure-bet acceptances, and now they are trying to sift through boarderline applicants to either admit or waitlist.

Is it weird to call and ask? They may explain to me if I have been outright rejected or if I am still under consideration.

I don't think it's weird necessarily, but I would give them another couple of days to notify. If they said before the end of January, I would possibly call at the beginning of Feb, if I haven't heard anything. I don't think they won't admit you because you called, but I can imagine them not telling you until February.

It isn't weird to call and ask, but you'll have to ask yourself: if they decide to reveal their decision on the phone, do you really want to find out bad news that way?

As long as it isn't out of the question to do so, I rather just call and have them rip the band-aid off quickly, so to speak.

If bad news, the sooner I can stop worrying about Boulder. If anything optimistic, I can remove the feeling of outright rejection.

As long as it isn't out of the question to do so, I rather just call and have them rip the band-aid off quickly, so to speak.

If bad news, the sooner I can stop worrying about Boulder. If anything optimistic, I can remove the feeling of outright rejection.

It's your call, but I agree with IRToni's advice. :) In either case, best wishes for success and good news!

Good luck mate

Congratulations to everyone whose last night was filled with excitement! I'm in at Boulder. Like so many of us, I'm on round 2. 

Congratulations on Boulder! Great way to start the admissions season!

Ripping off the band-aid is great because it eliminates the anxiety over that one school. However, shortly after, negative thoughts such as : "Why them, not me?,"Am I not good enough?," "Did I totally blow my chances by screwing up on that one question they asked because I couldn't handle my nerves?," "Is there something wrong with my research interests?," etc. will creep into your head and stay there for a very long time. 

Edited by IOGS

I also got into Boulder  :)  :D  :lol:  B)  ;)  :P  :rolleyes: !

Sounds like they want to interview people for TA spots during their visitation weekend. 

Can't wait to check it out!

I'll wait to post full stats til I hear from all schools. BUT, I will say that I have a very, very low UGPA. I guess work and research experience really can offset other factors!

Hi guys, this is my first post! Claim the ANU admission, no funding however :(

Congrats, and welcome. I considered applying to ANU, but felt it was too far from my home (24 hour flight).

What are your research interests? Are you waiting for other schools?

Thanks @IRToni!

I applied several months ago with a research proposal on the international dimension of authoritarianism. My interests are also concerned with IR theory, religion/nationalism in IR, international security.

Admittedly, it's too far from my home too and no funding at all would be a huge concern. Anyway, I'm waiting for several other schools (mostly from the US), so I really hope to receive further positive news in the next few days.

Congrats to admits! How did you learn your acceptance UC Boulder admits? Emails from professors or department? Thanks. 

Email from the head of the department. Well written, but standard. 

It made me realize that is it pretty futile to check the online systems since those are all run my universities (my e-mail included the standard caveat that they are only making a recommendation to the university that I be admitted, so while the process is pro-form, those systems update last). My guess is that you will only get news via those 5 percent of the time. So, hopefully, I will switch to checking my e-mail and phone obsessively instead of the online ones.

Or not, because Boulder is awesome and I should just live there for 5-7 years!!!!!!!! 

Or not, because Boulder is awesome and I should just live there for 5-7 years!!!!!!!! 

It's incredibly beautiful, that's true. I looked at the pictures on Google today, and the mountains are simply breathtaking.

Also I talked to a couple of CU students, and they say that Boulder is an odd little place. People come there and never leave. :) Sounds intriguing to me.

People come there and never leave. :) Sounds intriguing to me.

I guess I should clarify myself. People come there, fall in love with the place, and never leave. Otherwise, it sounds creepy, not intriguing. :)

Congrats to all of the new admits! I'm hoping everyone gets good news for the weekend! Anyone else think that Wisconsin will notify today?

I sure hope so, but I didn't understand until very recently that those who are rejected don't find out right away. I hate the idea of knowing, but not knowing. So my hope is that we all get in :)

Hey dmet, I will go ahead and ask the most superficial question out there. How do you survive on the allegedly small (according to one user, small) stipend? 

That's not superficial at all. You're going to have to live wherever you end up going for a few years and it's important to know you're not going to end up in a lot of debt. That said my experience with the stipend is not the standard. I'm single and childless, I don't own a car, I split a small apartment with a roommate and I have fairly cheap preferences when it comes to entertainment. On top of all that, I'm on a university fellowship this year so my stipend is a fair bit higher than the guaranteed amount. I end up putting about half my stipend into savings each month and still feeling rich.

Madison is a fairly cheap place to live, so most people on the stipend seem to make it work. Nominal dollars are definitely not comparable to New York for instance.  We also get a really great health plan that helps to supplement the below average stipend. In short, it takes some careful budgeting and forethought, but it can be done. Wherever you end up visiting, it might help to talk to a couple of grad students in similar life circumstances and see how they do it.

I sure hope so, but I didn't understand until very recently that those who are rejected don't find out right away. I hate the idea of knowing, but not knowing. So my hope is that we all get in :)

Seconded!

Also, <3 your new avatar.  Not only are there few situations that Elle Woods doesn't improve, but I keep hearing her chirp "what? like it's hard?" in reference to getting into grad school.  

Cue Captain Picard facepalm.