Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Thanks everyone! For those who might be curious, UNC said this about funding: "Decisions about financial support are made through a separate process. If you are selected for such support you will receive an offer directly from the program providing the funding."

I'm not sure whether they're sending admits out all at once or updating them over the course of the day. UC Davis clearly scheduled them for a time outside the work day (~6:30 PST on a Sunday), while the UNC email went out during working hours. So it might be that someone is updating the system right now.

Hmm...I'm seeing a lot of "emailed to check website" admissions.

Those are terrifying. I get my e-mail to my phone, but all my admissions websites are saved on my web browser. There is a possibility that I'll get an e-mail to check, but be 1 to 2 hours away from being able to check during which I'll probably go insane and start yelling incoherent things on the DC metro....

I guess I could try to learn to log-in on my phone...but them seems like too many emotions for a touch screen...

Thanks everyone! For those who might be curious, UNC said this about funding: "Decisions about financial support are made through a separate process. If you are selected for such support you will receive an offer directly from the program providing the funding."

I'm not sure whether they're sending admits out all at once or updating them over the course of the day. UC Davis clearly scheduled them for a time outside the work day (~6:30 PST on a Sunday), while the UNC email went out during working hours. So it might be that someone is updating the system right now.

Thank you so much Tremblay

a quick question for those that have been interviewed... do you get asked about where you rank the program in the list of schools you've applied? I'm wondering how one would answer that sort of question, and how much it would affect the likelihood of admission...

a quick question for those that have been interviewed... do you get asked about where you rank the program in the list of schools you've applied? I'm wondering how one would answer that sort of question, and how much it would affect the likelihood of admission...

I was asked this in an interview. I was fortunate, in that it's easily a top 3 choice out of 9 (and would come down to offer specifics), but I'm not sure how likely they are to keep you on the top of their list if you say: "Well, I applied to 15 schools, and yours is number 14 for me."

If you don't mind my asking, what's your field?

Like TMCB, I got that question too. I hadn't thought about it before the interview, and I honestly didn't have a numerical ranking in my head, so I discussed fit. The program in question is a particularly good fit for me, which makes me pretty eager to go there. On the other hand, I also answered truthfully that if they couldn't fund me, I could not seriously consider attending.

Like TMCB, I got that question too. I hadn't thought about it before the interview, and I honestly didn't have a numerical ranking in my head, so I discussed fit. The program in question is a particularly good fit for me, which makes me pretty eager to go there. On the other hand, I also answered truthfully that if they couldn't fund me, I could not seriously consider attending.

Did the snail mail come yet today?

I was not asked this question directly but in both conversations I had, the person talked about the other schools to which I applied. You know, the list you are supposed to fill in the application form. It seems that they do pay attention to the coherence of that list in terms of your research interest - though I don't think this has anything to do with their decision. In any case, I would suggest the future applicants to pay attention to what schools they choose to include in that list, just to be safe. I wouldn't write Rochester and Northwestern, for example.

I was not asked this question directly but in both conversations I had, the person talked about the other schools to which I applied. You know, the list you are supposed to fill in the application form. It seems that they do pay attention to the coherence of that list in terms of your research interest - though I don't think this has anything to do with their decision. In any case, I would suggest the future applicants to pay attention to what schools they choose to include in that list, just to be safe. I wouldn't write Rochester and Northwestern, for example.

I'm not sure I follow... why not?

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'll claim the UNC admit (and one of the UC Davis admits). Thanks for the messages!

The admissions letters came from the graduate school. The short version is that the letter suggested for UC Davis was that the department, not the graduate school, would be in touch regarding funding packages. It was the same for UNC, except their letter was even shorter.

Grats Tremblay! 

(Also, like the beer that your name reminds me of :) )

Because their strengths do not overlap. Rochester is known for ethnographic research and participant action, whereas Northwestern is a positivist stronghold with a strong emphasis on formal theory. (wink)

Sadly, I've reached my positive vote quota of the day! :)

my problem is that my POI there knows me and my preferences pretty well (was a LOR writer). i'm afraid anything i say will set off his bs radar, because we both know its not my top choice.

Nope. Don't know if that's good or bad news for those still waiting.

Thanks. Do you have an idea about how many people were admitted in the first round? I will start to assume I am rejected if I don't hear anything in two days. :(

my problem is that my POI there knows me and my preferences pretty well (was a LOR writer). i'm afraid anything i say will set off his bs radar, because we both know its not my top choice.

Which school is this for? Be honest with your POI. Maybe: "I have no definitive ranking. Of course continuing to learn from and work under you would be an honor, but if I were lucky enough to get into this program and some others on my list, I don't know that I'd have a clear choice one way or the other."

Thanks. Do you have an idea about how many people were admitted in the first round? I will start to assume I am rejected if I don't hear anything in two days. :(

No, sorry. According to last year's results, though, acceptances seemed to have come out at two different times. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Which school is this for? Be honest with your POI. Maybe: "I have no definitive ranking. Of course continuing to learn from and work under you would be an honor, but if I were lucky enough to get into this program and some others on my list, I don't know that I'd have a clear choice one way or the other."

I'd rather not say the school, for the sake of anonymity (sorry! super paranoid) but your suggestion sounds good and I'll probably end up saying something along those lines... thanks!