Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

OK so there was a flood of Wisconsin admits here. Great for the people who got them, congrats again, I am genuinely happy for you (especially for the gradcafe buddies who have been around for a while now, go folks!). It is a bummer for me though, because I didn't get one. So, the logical thing here would be to count Wisconsin as a potential rejection. However, there is also this stuff about the postal service and e-mails coming from POIs as opposed to being automated system notifications. I know that I am reading tea leaves and stretching it as far as I can to avoid striking Wisconsin off my list, but is it possible maybe my letter is on the mail, and that my POI just didn't email me? 

(you should say *yes* here, but convincingly please)

First, you are already accepted at a great program. Secondly, there's definitely still a chance. I wouldn't count myself out until you've seen a rejection. It's possible they haven't gotten to you yet, it's possible you're on some sort of internal waitlist etc.

What's your subfield?

What happened to everyone? Eerily quiet...

Just got my first acceptance, from a UK school, albeit without funding info as of now...

Yeah, yesterday was ridiculously quiet too, even though about 60 people were viewing the topics!

CONGRATULATIONS! I am crossing my fingers (and pressing my thumbs) that this is a sign of more good news to come.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Yeah, yesterday was ridiculously quiet too, even though about 60 people were viewing the topics!

CONGRATULATIONS! I am crossing my fingers (and pressing my thumbs) that this is a sign of more good news to come.

Thank you!

Who will we hear from next? I vote NYU and Pittsburgh this week! Still not giving up on Stanford.

I'm starting to second-guess every part of my application. Did I shoot myself in the foot by having both a regional and a substantive specialization? Or possibly by not fitting squarely within either IR or CP? Was my SOP too future-oriented and too light on past accomplishments? Should I have added a fit paragraph, instead of ending most paragraphs with a fit sentence? etc. etc.

I'm starting to second-guess every part of my application. Did I shoot myself in the foot by having both a regional and a substantive specialization? Or possibly by not fitting squarely within either IR or CP? Was my SOP too future-oriented and too light on past accomplishments? Should I have added a fit paragraph, instead of ending most paragraphs with a fit sentence? etc. etc.

I think the things you're double guessing are all good things to have done. Of course, who knows how good my advice is (we'll know by the end of March?). :)

Don't start doing it to yourself. :)

I am very sure you've spent enough time weighing every component of your application as thoroughly as it could be done, when you were applying—so the result should be very well balanced. And you have just got your first acceptance—what better recognition there could be! Congratulations on that, and I'm sure there'll be more to come.

P.S. Of course, this is all said by a person who rereads her applications materials on a daily basis. 

Don't start doing it to yourself. :)

I am very sure you've spent enough time weighing every component of your application as thoroughly as it could be done, when you were applying—so the result should be very well balanced. And you have just got your first acceptance—what better recognition there could be! Congratulations on that, and I'm sure there'll be more to come.

P.S. Of course, this is all said by a person who rereads her applications materials on a daily basis. 

How do you do that? I found a misplaced comma in my SoP of one of my early schools and decided not to read any of my work any further. I figured it is done and you know what, there is a difference between a typo and being sloppy. If my POI doesn't recognize that, well, poop. '

How do you do that? I found a misplaced comma in my SoP of one of my early schools and decided not to read any of my work any further. I figured it is done and you know what, there is a difference between a typo and being sloppy. If my POI doesn't recognize that, well, poop. '

Agreed. Once I turned in my applications, I decided not to look at my SOP, writing sample, or cv/resume anymore. Too late to change it anyway. Why torture yourself?

So, I wasn't contacted by a POI from OSU, and my app still says pending. I'm just going to assume that means a rejection at this point... Time to move on.

Drop me a line and I'll be happy to confirm or deny. You shouldn't have to wait this long.

Agreed. Once I turned in my applications, I decided not to look at my SOP, writing sample, or cv/resume anymore. Too late to change it anyway. Why torture yourself?

I agree, those typos (or faults in proof, I checked once...) can go to hell for all I care ^^

This is not how I wanted to start my second application cycle...

Sorry xuejia! It is still super early! None of us are going to get into every school we applied to. You just got some bad news early. But better now than having to wait for it. Now you can focus on the other 12 schools you applied to!

Maybe I'm looking into this too much and hoping it is the case due to my personal weakness....but...I like that I'm seeing low GPAs getting admissions!

KNOCK on WOOD!!!

Duke applicants, how did you learn about your application status? Could you please share the website's link? Thanks

I believe you can check your status via this site: https://shib-external.oit.duke.edu/idp/Authn/UserPassword (if the link doesn't work, trying googling "Duke Applicant Self Service"). I haven't received any emails from them yet and there's no change on my applicant page so they may be releasing decisions on batches.

Maybe I'm looking into this too much and hoping it is the case due to my personal weakness....but...I like that I'm seeing low GPAs getting admissions!

KNOCK on WOOD!!!

If I posted my undergrad GPA you'd probably laugh! :) 

That being said, I crushed it in my grad program... after I totally humiliated myself begging them to admit me. I'm pretty sure the grad coordinator knew she had to accept me or block my number and change her email address. She probably accepted me because it was easier. 

Thanks to all for the warm wishes/condolences/pep talks. It was Wisconsin, where I emailed a professor for confirmation of my suspicions. 

I also just found out that somehow I neglected to submit a departmentally-required writing sample to the school at which I should have the best chance, and this oversight likely means that the best funding opportunities are blown. 

Thus far, this morning = fml