Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I will gently push back just to mention that advice is advice, not an attack on someone's choices. Definitely be confident in your own decision-making process but there is no reason to not want to hear contradictory advice. I'm sure everyone means well. And hey, I never stopped hearing I was making a terrible mistake by going to law school even after I graduated! Ha :)

Another San Diego acceptance has been posted, FYI.

Fair enough. That was probably a ted testy on my part. None of the places I've applied to have sent out decisions yet, so as you can imagine I'm constantly oscillating between ungrounded hopefulness and unnecessary despair. :wacko:   

Congrats to the Duke, UCSD and Michigan State admits!

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have just skimmed through quite a few pages... Am I correct to assume that I have been rejected from Wisconsin and UNC if I haven't heard back from them yet? I'm out of the country, so I have a difficult time checking my application status.

I am happy to admit, however, that I have made it to Emory's final admissions pool and have an interview with them Thursday. I've also received am offer from CU Boulder (my alma mater).

Congrats on Colorado - Boulder and making it through to an interview at Emory! No, you should not assume that you have been rejected from UNC if you haven't heard back from them yet. They've only sent out one decision in Political Science, seemingly - and if you look at the whole spreadsheet, not just the Political science results, they've been sending out decisions to only one person in a lot of programs (Religious Studies, History, Computer Science, Education, Chemistry, etc.). Probably their main results won't be for another couple weeks - last year their wave was around February 12.

It might not make sense for everyone, but I applied right out of undergrad and I can't say I regret any part of that. I have been lucky enough to figure out early what I want to spend my life doing. Of course in trying to defend this, I run into the classic problem of social sciences that it is impossible to observe the counterfactual in which I took a few years to work elsewhere. Maybe I would be happier and more knowledgeable having done that, but that's a rabbit hole I'd rather not follow. I have to agree with wokeem that no one takes this choice lightly.

Congrats to the Duke, UCSD and Michigan State admits!

Congrats on Colorado - Boulder and making it through to an interview at Emory! No, you should not assume that you have been rejected from UNC if you haven't heard back from them yet. They've only sent out one decision in Political Science, seemingly - and if you look at the whole spreadsheet, not just the Political science results, they've been sending out decisions to only one person in a lot of programs (Religious Studies, History, Computer Science, Education, Chemistry, etc.). Probably their main results won't be for another couple weeks - last year their wave was around February 12.

If I had to guess, Tremblay, I'd say that you're the departmental choice for big-dollar funding opportunities, hence the super early one-off acceptance. Like you say, the bulk of regular admits will likely follow in about two weeks. Again, if I had to guess...

This is very thoughtful and well-intentioned advice. However, please bear in mind that there are quite a few people on here, like myself, who are anxiously waiting to hear back from schools, who have spent nearly $800 on applications, GRE scores, and transcripts, and have spent a great deal of time thinking about what they'll have to give up to attend graduate school. No one is rushing into this decision, and no one in the middle of the process really wants to hear, especially right now, that they're making some huge mistake because they didn't take a year off. 

800 dollar mistakes are exactly what I was referring too as well as the ability to tolerate criticism on forums....

BUT, I was hoping to uplift folks that aren't getting into places, not rip on people that will get in and go. I can see how the timing of my comments is not consistent with that though. Opps! 

I'm not backing down though :) I still think it is a bad idea. Having said that though, these programs are really flexible, no? So for those that go straight from undergrad, I'll suggest doing the first 2 years, passing your exams, then taking a year or two off to go adventuring (or, like me, you should incorporate a lot of field work into your dissertation).  

It is true. At 22 you have no idea what will make you happy. At 28 you still have no idea, but at least you have crossed a few things off the list  :D

And lastly - this you can take solace in - there is nothing worse for an old man like me to get beat out by some young buck. When you are my age, you'll understand how much it hurts when younger people get a head of you. 

I'm older than Drake. It sucks. 

800 dollar mistakes are exactly what I was referring too as well as the ability to tolerate criticism on forums....

BUT, I was hoping to uplift folks that aren't getting into places, not rip on people that will get in and go. I can see how the timing of my comments is not consistent with that though. Opps! 

I'm not backing down though :) I still think it is a bad idea. Having said that though, these programs are really flexible, no? So for those that go straight from undergrad, I'll suggest doing the first 2 years, passing your exams, then taking a year or two off to go adventuring (or, like me, you should incorporate a lot of field work into your dissertation).  

It is true. At 22 you have no idea what will make you happy. At 28 you still have no idea, but at least you have crossed a few things off the list  :D

And lastly - this you can take solace in - there is nothing worse for an old man like me to get beat out by some young buck. When you are my age, you'll understand how much it hurts when younger people get a head of you. 

I'm older than Drake. It sucks. 

Honestly, while you may have had good intention, you come off very patronizing to me, and not in a good way. Just because something worked for you doesn't mean it has to work for everyone else or that people who choose to do things differently are somehow inferior to you/your experience. I also hate all this age crap (it's been called reverse ageism). Why shouldn't some people be able to figure out what they want at an earlier age? And what about all those people that have kids when they're young/do an apprenticeship and basically have their paths figured out? You're kind of discounting everyone else's experience, and it almost comes off like you're trying to make yourself feel better, especially with your follow-up about how bad it is for you to be beat out by younger people.

I will say that at 27, I am feeling quite a lot of personal pressure to get the academic career rolling. It gets a lot harder to move away from roots that you've planted after awhile. I don't regret for one second working in politics for the past 5 years, but I do acknowledge that I am delaying other important things that will happen in my life. I won't be able to put down any serious roots again until my mid-30s, and possibly even later, depending on the job market. I also am not crazy about returning to the semi-impoverished life of a student, after finally finding financial security. If I have to move away from DC, I will dearly miss my condo.

While I recognize the importance of understanding yourself, I also watched my mom do grad school one class at a time while working a full time job and raising 3 kids. I just know that if I don't do it now, I'll probably get caught up in everything else and never pursue what I really want to do when it comes to graduate school. I'm also looking forward to having my PhD at an early age rather than being in my 30s and being able to consider programs in any region I want.

While I recognize the importance of understanding yourself, I also watched my mom do grad school one class at a time while working a full time job and raising 3 kids. I just know that if I don't do it now, I'll probably get caught up in everything else and never pursue what I really want to do when it comes to graduate school. I'm also looking forward to having my PhD at an early age rather than being in my 30s and being able to consider programs in any region I want.

This. Everyone is different, of course, but the same life choices that give you maturity and perspective may also impose constraints. If I am fortunate enough to get into a PhD program this year, I'll be taking a whole family with me. New jobs, new schools, new friends. That is an enormous amount of inertia to overcome.

Not everyone is ready for grad school at 22. God knows I wasn't. If you are, there will never be an easier time to go.

Man I leave gradcafe for five minutes and... WTF! Can everyone just agree to refrain from the life advice tit-for-tat until late March when we'll all have to make critical life decisions? Can we all go back to the happy, supportive and insightful forum that literally saved me from going crazy a few times already this January?

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

Man I leave gradcafe for five minutes and... WTF! Can everyone just agree to refrain from the life advice tit-for-tat until late March when will all have to make critical life decisions? Can we all go back to the happy, supportive and insightful forum that literally saved me from going crazy a few times already this January?

SHUT UP! 

;)

Age is tearing my gradcafe family apart. :(

Nah. All families fight. Toni is just that young cousin with grand ambitious and I'm the uncle who has a couple bad tattoos and a beer belly. 

I HEREBY DECLARE TIMEOUT!!  Take a walk, a nap and come back with love.  Thank you.

@cautiously_optimistic. Well said, much better than my ramblings... 

@IRToni. Grow up. 

@cautiously_optimistic. Well said, much better than my ramblings... 

@IRToni. Grow up. 

It is doubtful that at a youthful 28 years-old you can classify yourself as an "old man."  ;) ...and we should question the implicit premise here that sagacity holds a positive correlation with age.

If you have the requisite financial resources, familial/professional support, academic/extracurricular record, and desire, then by all means move forward with your graduate applications while still in your undergraduate career.

While I was fortunate enough to eventually find positions that provided the relevant career perspective I needed, I definitely recognize that not all manage to do this. After graduating I worked in full-time low-wage jobs, as I did during my undergraduate career, riding public transit/walking to and from my rented room. It was only after multiple attempts that I finally "got my foot in the door" at relevant research institutions. In sum, I have taken several years off, but not for luxury, and I found that it was not so simple to get a research position at a major University.

I think the sentiment of your original post was that students should seek experiences to foster emotional and intellectual strength. That is good advice. However, it is best to continually work on emotional and intellectual resilience regardless of where you are in life. Being able to appropriately handle failures, dissenting opinions, rejection, success, etc. without compromising your values and losing your humility is what is most important. And the ability to do so will not come from something you experience, but rather your willingness and concerted efforts to grow as an individual.

**Edit: Additionally, not all dissenting opinions come from those who cannot handle criticism. As someone who has been incorrect many times, and criticized even more, I am coming to realize that dissent is not always personal, but typically is concerned with the ideological/factual.**

Honestly, while you may have had good intention, you come off very patronizing to me, and not in a good way. Just because something worked for you doesn't mean it has to work for everyone else or that people who choose to do things differently are somehow inferior to you/your experience. I also hate all this age crap (it's been called reverse ageism). Why shouldn't some people be able to figure out what they want at an earlier age? And what about all those people that have kids when they're young/do an apprenticeship and basically have their paths figured out? You're kind of discounting everyone else's experience, and it almost comes off like you're trying to make yourself feel better, especially with your follow-up about how bad it is for you to be beat out by younger people.

It is doubtful that at a youthful 28 years-old you can classify yourself as an "old man."  ;) ...and we should question the implicit premise here that sagacity holds a positive correlation with age.

If you have the requisite financial resources, familial/professional support, academic/extracurricular record, and desire, then by all means move forward with your graduate applications while still in your undergraduate career.

While I was fortunate enough to eventually find positions that provided the relevant career perspective I needed, I definitely recognize that not all manage to do this. After graduating I worked in full-time low-wage jobs, as I did during my undergraduate career, riding public transit/walking to and from my rented room. It was only after multiple attempts that I finally "got my foot in the door" at relevant research institutions. In sum, I have taken several years off, but not for luxury, and I found that it was not so simple to get a research position at a major University.

I think the sentiment of your original post was that students should seek experiences to foster emotional and intellectual strength. That is good advice. However, it is best to continually work on emotional and intellectual resilience regardless of where you are in life. Being able to appropriately handle failures, dissenting opinions, rejection, success, etc. without compromising your values and losing your humility is what is most important. And the ability to do so will not come from something you experience, but rather your willingness and concerted efforts to grow as an individual.

**Edit: Additionally, not all dissenting opinions come from those who cannot handle criticism. As someone who has been incorrect many times, and criticized even more, I am coming to realize that dissent is not always personal, but typically is concerned with the ideological/factual.**

This. Everyone is different, of course, but the same life choices that give you maturity and perspective may also impose constraints. If I am fortunate enough to get into a PhD program this year, I'll be taking a whole family with me. New jobs, new schools, new friends. That is an enormous amount of inertia to overcome.

Not everyone is ready for grad school at 22. God knows I wasn't. If you are, there will never be an easier time to go.

We have a tremendous range of experience on these forums, and that's one of the great advantages of even having GradCafe. Of course life experiences at 28 for one person may be very different than 28 for another. And maturity and wisdom do not always correlate with age (let's be real, how many older people do we know who listen to *insert offensive radio host name here* and repeat their arguments word for word), though I can only hope that all of us future (and current) political scientists are mature and wise (well, let's hope we're not too mature). I think most of the advice given here tonight is valid - but it is not universally applicable. That's the nature of advice based on personal experience.

There is never a perfect time to begin a Ph.D. in political science. The best any of us can do is work to beat the odds regardless of our age.

And drink red wine. Yes, that too.

Will do. I typically stay out of internal TGC battles, and regrettably thought I was doing something kindhearted/helpful. Away I go!  :(

Sorry!  Cautiously optimistic, I lumped you in the mix, erroneously.  You were the sagacious peacemaker.   Please forgive me.  Please do not go away!

I am all for going with whatever turns you on. If you feel good thinking of yourself as old and wise, go for it. If you feel good looking at others and feel like you are ahead in life because of your young age, that's cool. Do it. On average, rejection and failure happens more often than success. We all have to cope with it. We all have to find ways to make ourselves feel better.This is a real need. More often than not, we do not get what we want. We frequently have to deal with the fact that our situation is not the ideal one, given the probabilities. It usually sucks, but it is OK. I think the key is not to take yourself too seriously. It is pretty bad when that happens. World is a harder place to live then.

On a completely irrelevant note. Did you guys know about the Russian version of Winnie the Pooh? You can find it in youtube. My Russian is terrible, so I hardly understand anything, but watching it is strangely a great way to relax, I found. Just try to watch an episode the way you sit down and listen to a really nice song - it might make you happy :).

So, on a more light-hearted note...anyone watching The Bachelor this season?

No, but my partner and I watched Revolution this afternoon, precisely because it's totally brainless. I would recommend a round of Angry Birds but...