Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Just got the official, and I assume stock, rejection notice from Wisconsin by email. I'd wager they will come out en masse today.

And congrats, btw, to the MSU, Vandy, and other admits!

Edited by xuejia

Likewise on Wisconsin... Win some and lose some, especially in this process... Anyhow, congrats to those admitted! A buddy of mine there absolutely loves the program, and it is an awesome option to have... Back to sweating what will certainly be a busy week of notifications next week...

In 2012, Princeton had a 54% yield, according to the spreadsheet. Stanford apparently admitted 32 for a class of 14, so 40 for 20, assuming yield hasn't gone up a lot, seems very plausible!

In 2012, Princeton had a 54% yield, according to the spreadsheet. Stanford apparently admitted 32 for a class of 14, so 40 for 20, assuming yield hasn't gone up a lot, seems very plausible!

Some of the more competitive lower ranked programs have tremendous yield compared to these elite programs. I find that very interesting.

I wonder how attrition rates compare.

Some of the more competitive lower ranked programs have tremendous yield compared to these elite programs. I find that very interesting.

I wonder how attrition rates compare.

I'm guessing that at the top, schools are competing for many of the same students with very similar funding packages. If you go down a bit, you end up with great schools with very high variations in funding, so that schools with good funding policies will have a higher yield, I'm guessing.

From the acceptances thing:

•  
  • I have three years of research experience, 3 national conference paper presentations, 2 publications, and 1 national research fellowship with the Harvard Institute of Politics.

AND a 4.0 GPA.

Whoever you are, I hope we didn't apply to any of the same schools!!!!!

From the acceptances thing:

•  
  • I have three years of research experience, 3 national conference paper presentations, 2 publications, and 1 national research fellowship with the Harvard Institute of Politics.

AND a 4.0 GPA.

Whoever you are, I hope we didn't apply to any of the same schools!!!!!

Take comfort in fit. ;)

full disclosure: that is not I!

Congrats to the Duke, UCSD and Michigan State admits!

Congrats on Colorado - Boulder and making it through to an interview at Emory! No, you should not assume that you have been rejected from UNC if you haven't heard back from them yet. They've only sent out one decision in Political Science, seemingly - and if you look at the whole spreadsheet, not just the Political science results, they've been sending out decisions to only one person in a lot of programs (Religious Studies, History, Computer Science, Education, Chemistry, etc.). Probably their main results won't be for another couple weeks - last year their wave was around February 12.

Thank you! Unfortunately just received a rejection email from Madison though. :(

I'm guessing that at the top, schools are competing for many of the same students with very similar funding packages. If you go down a bit, you end up with great schools with very high variations in funding, so that schools with good funding policies will have a higher yield, I'm guessing.

Very good point. This makes a lot of sense, especially since the programs I'm thinking of usually guarantee funding.

I am part of the Wisconsin bloodbath. Sorry for everyone who got a rejection today.Those who did not get good news from anywhere yet: Hang in there, we have a long ways to go, this is just the beginning. So chin up folks, and let's get back to refreshing our e-mails like there is no tomorrow. I hope you guys will hear the good news very soon. Certainly by the end of the next week, I feel.  

I just talked with a professor on committee in UCSD. She said NO OFFER has been made but expect it soon.

In this case self-reported offers seem to be spam, and folks let's calm down. 

I would kill to know who was on the admin committee at UCSD...

We just met. And this is crazy. PM me maybe?  

Next week is going to be the most emotional week of my life. Be ready emotional outlet forum! 

No kidding! None of the programs I've applied to have contacted anyone yet (as far as I know), and judging by past years I should be hearing back from six schools within the next two weeks, with the other three coming in shortly after. This is going to be a roller coaster of emotion.

I'm not quite certain if I am still on "time-out."  :unsure:

I contacted NYU's department and promptly was told that we should "expect to hear from [them] by next week," and thought I would share. 

Unfortunately, the notification will not occur as early as some forum members were postulating.

**Edit: Okay, I see now that aecp never meant to put me on "time-out" and feel a bit relieved.**

Edited by cautiously_optimistic

I'm not quite certain if I am still on "time-out."  :unsure:

I contacted NYU's department and promptly was told that we should "expect to hear from [them] by next week," and thought I would share. 

Unfortunately, the notification will not occur as early as some forum members were postulating.

**Edit: Okay, I see now that aecp never meant to put me on "time-out" and feel a bit relieved.**

Wonder if that means they plan on releasing acceptances and rejections at the same time, because last year they waited quite a while before releasing rejections.