Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

What do you guys feel about faculty who do not respond to emails at all? What is the best approach to make them respond? 

Depends. In what context? Were you admitted? 

If you're not a current or admitted student, I don't think there's any reasonable expectation that they should have to respond. Of course with the caveat that they may make the program look bad, and I also wouldn't encourage you to apply somewhere with unresponsive professors. 

If you're not a current or admitted student, I don't think there's any reasonable expectation that they should have to respond. Of course with the caveat that they may make the program look bad, and I also wouldn't encourage you to apply somewhere with unresponsive professors. 

I had this problem in both contexts. I kinda feel they don't give a shit when they don't answer. Also, I develop second thoughts when potential POIs don't answer. I understand they're busy but shall I wait 10 days to receive an answer as Chris Blatmann suggests?

While I do not necessarily disagree with the conclusion "wouldn't encourage you to apply somewhere with unresponsive professors," I want to caution inferring that based on one or two e-mails. People can be busy, they can forget, stuff happens. 

I had this problem in both contexts. I kinda feel they don't give a shit when they don't answer. Also, I develop second thoughts when potential POIs don't answer. I understand they're busy but shall I wait 10 days to receive an answer as Chris Blatmann suggests?

You could always follow up after a few days. Respond to your original e-mail, and write something like: "Hello again, Prof. X, I'm just following up on my earlier e-mail. I'm sure you're very busy, but if you do get a moment I'd appreciate your advice/thoughts/whatever."

While I do not necessarily disagree with the conclusion "wouldn't encourage you to apply somewhere with unresponsive professors," I want to caution inferring that based on one or two e-mails. People can be busy, they can forget, stuff happens. 

Right, it takes more than one or two-emails to draw such a conclusion. In some cases one nasty response says a lot more than three no responses. ;)

Yes I guess nasty response = run away. OR you can go and give a lot of hugs to that person and use an internet blocking software to prevent him from going to PSR. 

That's a good idea. Is there such a software?  :) 

I still believe that NYU acceptances this week are possible. They said "by next week", not next week... Rationalizing....

Also, what's the last word on UCSD? They're very close to making final decisions? So that would mean Friday's a possibility? Last year, they sent out rejections on Friday, and acceptances in the following week. Hope they don't do that again this year!

Last year, one of my UK schools sent out an acceptance on Jan 31, also, so that would be another possibility, though funding awards might be separate :-(... I can't even listen to a talk without compulsively checking my email and gradcafe anymore... Any dinner I have, everything... Might have to start leaving my phone at home/bringing my crappy, old, non internet phone...

Edited by IRToni

wondering if stanford might make calls this week as well. In the last three years, they've made calls between 3-4 weeks (on thursdays) after the start of their semester. This sorta means there might be a (very very very slight??) chance that they might make calls tomorrow. Of course, since the odds of getting into stanford are so minuscule, i'm not sure what would feel worse - not knowing and being hopeful, or striking that off the list and moving on to the next. 

wondering if stanford might make calls this week as well. In the last three years, they've made calls between 3-4 weeks (on thursdays) after the start of their semester. This sorta means there might be a (very very very slight??) chance that they might make calls tomorrow. Of course, since the odds of getting into stanford are so minuscule, i'm not sure what would feel worse - not knowing and being hopeful, or striking that off the list and moving on to the next. 

If they had 400 apps for an incoming class of 20, their admission rate likely will be between 7-10%, which doesn't seem much lower than many other (lower-ranked) schools. Berkeley and Michigan both had less in 2012... I wonder if they call internationals, though. They were meeting for the first time last week, so they could make their decisions soon!

If they had 400 apps for an incoming class of 20, their admission rate likely will be between 7-10%, which doesn't seem much lower than many other (lower-ranked) schools. Berkeley and Michigan both had less in 2012... I wonder if they call internationals, though. They were meeting for the first time last week, so they could make their decisions soon!

It blows my mind that they get 400 apps. That means they bring in 50K in app fees. That probably doesn't cover their costs, but still, lots of mula.

I didn't know that last year UCSD sent out rejections first. That's weird. 

Any reasonable expectation besides professionalism and common courtesy, you mean. * Climbs on soapbox * I've noticed a permissiveness towards unresponsiveness in academia that I don't think would fly in a lot of other jobs. Sure, people are busy and all that...but so is everyone. A quick: "Thanks for reaching out, it is my policy not to speak with applicants until after decisions are made. Best of luck, X" or "Thanks for reaching out, I look forward to working with you--I'll be in touch in the upcoming months as the 2014 fall term nears. Best, X" doesn't take THAT long. But oh well, different professions have different norms--and there are certainly awesome professors who are just the worst at emails. *Departs soapbox *

I wouldn't take the lack of response as anything other than an insight into the POI's working style--not a reflection on you. At the end of the day its just a little more information to plug into your decision-making process.

Any reasonable expectation besides professionalism and common courtesy, you mean. * Climbs on soapbox * I've noticed a permissiveness towards unresponsiveness in academia that I don't think would fly in a lot of other jobs. Sure, people are busy and all that...but so is everyone. A quick: "Thanks for reaching out, it is my policy not to speak with applicants until after decisions are made. Best of luck, X" or "Thanks for reaching out, I look forward to working with you--I'll be in touch in the upcoming months as the 2014 fall term nears. Best, X" doesn't take THAT long. But oh well, different professions have different norms--and there are certainly awesome professors who are just the worst at emails. *Departs soapbox *

I wouldn't take the lack of response as anything other than an insight into the POI's working style--not a reflection on you. At the end of the day its just a little more information to plug into your decision-making process.

I fully agree.  Too many egos in academia.  An abundance of quirky norms known only to insiders.

I think this is an indication that there really isn't a safety school in the world of Phd admissions...

Rate seems eerily similar across different groups of school that are presumed to be in different ranking bracket. 

Emphasizes the point that schools look for different qualities in its pool and hence 'fit' can really determine admissions outcome. 

Yes I guess nasty response = run away. OR you can go and give a lot of hugs to that person and use an internet blocking software to prevent him from going to PSR. 

Because of this I just checked out PSR for the first time... What has been seen cannot be unseen. 

Because of this I just checked out PSR for the first time... What has been seen cannot be unseen. 

Wowzers, me too. Brutal, brutal ish on every post.

Are we in the kiddie pool?

Update by Boston University: DGS just emailed me, the committee needs time and hopefully some news will be available by March.

So, looks like the two admissions are fake.

Hello, I have been a silent follower of this thread, but I was also wondering about the two BU posts. Especially since last year they started sending responses by mid-Feb. 

Congrats to all accepted, and best of luck to the rest of us!

The short answer is yes, you are in the kiddie pool, but that's okay. PSR isn't the deep end - it's a neglected jacuzzi with algae in it.

BTPS, is there ever any worthwhile information passed around there, or is the sole purpose to allow over-stressed nerds the opportunity to anonymously vent their snark?

Btw, I've been meaning to ask you...wts is up with Buckeyes basketball?

BTPS, is there ever any worthwhile information passed around there, or is the sole purpose to allow over-stressed nerds the opportunity to anonymously vent their snark?

Btw, I've been meaning to ask you...wts is up with Buckeyes basketball?

PSR is useful to pick up some info when the job market first heats up in the fall and when offers start going out around now. Otherwise, it's mostly a place for graduate students to say horrible things. I suspect that the whole board might be just the same 15 people talking to each other over and over.

Ohio State's recent stumbles have opened up the conference this year. I am a fan of college basketball and I attend a lot of my school's games (rooting against schools that rejected you is fun). Most grad students don't take advantage of student tickets and that's a shame. It's a great perk to being at a school like this. This is going to be a season where everyone beats up on each other in this conference and people might be surprised to see a bunch of 6-seed Big Ten teams going deep in the tournament.

Just to be clear, I don't want to tip my hand on where I go in the unlikely event that I end up saying something unflattering about my program (and I have some strong feelings about what programs don't tell you during visitation weekends and when they are recruiting students in general). It's not all sunshine and roses in graduate school, but if I knew then what I know now I would still apply. The reason I am back on this board is that a friend in in this application cycle. He asked me if he should try for grad school and after thinking about it carefully I told him he should take a shot.