Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

There is never a perfect time to begin a Ph.D. in political science. The best any of us can do is work to beat the odds regardless of our age.

And drink red wine. Yes, that too.

This. There is never a perfect time to do anything; just need to weigh the pros and cons and make the decision that you think will work best for you, knowing what you know. And cohorts, I would think, benefit from having people from all walks of life--the 22 year old may be the most familiar with the newest literature, the 30 year old may have a lot of "on the ground" perspective to lend or organizational skills, and a 50 year old may have a solid career's worth of experience that everyone could benefit from.

But more importantly, the next person who suggests someone in their late twenties is old gets a virtual punch in the face by me. Oh yeah, I'm taking that personally.

No, but my partner and I watched Revolution this afternoon, precisely because it's totally brainless. I would recommend a round of Angry Birds but...

I never used to watch mindless TV, but now I understand the comfort of watching a cartoon show after an awful day.

The State of the Union makes me soooo happy I'm studying IR! :)

Also, I'm totally baffled by the little bit of foreign policy discussed. "If Kennedy can negotiate with the Soviet Union, why can't we negotiate with Iran... negotiations aren't based on trust..." (paraphrasing)

Thoughts?

Definitely excited to be studying IR after this, though definitely disappointed on his ambiguity regarding drones. I knew before it would be a long shot to be discussed but still. This was definitely one of his better sotus, and actually made me feel american (despite the fact that I am not though live here and have a very complicated relationship with this place). Some very solid actionables on the domestic front.  

The republican responses have been abysmal so far...

Definitely excited to be studying IR after this, though definitely disappointed on his ambiguity regarding drones. I knew before it would be a long shot to be discussed but still. This was definitely one of his better sotus, and actually made me feel american (despite the fact that I am not though live here and have a very complicated relationship with this place). Some very solid actionables on the domestic front.  

The republican responses have been abysmal so far...

All Obama speeches are defined by their ambiguity. But your right about drones specifically being mentioned but glossed over... because I promise you he has no intention of changing drone policies. Some great debates in the IHL sphere regarding drone use recently. I've attached a particularly informative piece by Michael Schmitt. The guy ripped me a new one at a conference recently (I took a too abstract and humanitarian approach for him)... nonetheless he is still the king of IHL in my eyes. 

http://128.197.26.36/law/central/jd/organizations/journals/international/volume30n2/documents/symposium_schmitt.pdf

So, on a more light-hearted note...anyone watching The Bachelor this season?

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but yeah, it's a guilty pleasure. I'm so anxious about this admission season that I've been watching more TV shows this semester than usual. 

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but yeah, it's a guilty pleasure. I'm so anxious about this admission season that I've been watching more TV shows this semester than usual. 

And I don't watch the Bachelor, but have a guilty pleasure of my own. My boyfriend got me a full set of Game of Thrones books for Christmas. 

While waiting for the new season, I've started reading them.

I'm near the end of the first book... Eddard Stark just talked to the Queen Cersei. You know what's gonna happen next!  :unsure:  

One of my applications has just changed its status from "under review" to "being reviewed." Am I missing some subtle shadow of a difference between these two, or are those essentially the same?

confused... -_-

Why change it now I wonder.

Jeudepaume, this post of yours represents the soul of gradcafe. I love it! I love it because I caught myself really thinking whether that means anything to give a meaningful answer to your question. This is what the process did to us. We were normal human beings once..

And I don't have an answer. It probably doesn't mean anything :)

Jeudepaume, this post of yours represents the soul of gradcafe. I love it! I love it because I caught myself really thinking whether that means anything to give a meaningful answer to your question. This is what the process did to us. We were normal human beings once..

And I don't have an answer. It probably doesn't mean anything :)

Haha you're right. :) I should stop looking too much into these things.

*going back to her Game of Thrones*

And I don't watch the Bachelor, but have a guilty pleasure of my own. My boyfriend got me a full set of Game of Thrones books for Christmas. 

While waiting for the new season, I've started reading them.

I'm near the end of the first book... Eddard Stark just talked to the Queen Cersei. You know what's gonna happen next!  :unsure:  

I'm on A Feast for Crows, but haven't been very motivated to read lately. Great series. The show's pretty good too, though I think it was never better than in season 1.

NYU sent out on Friday, Feb 1 last year, so I'm guessing/hoping it will send acceptances on Friday, Jan 31 this year.

I have recently been watching lots of trashy TV as a distraction, like "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!", "Life UneXpected" etc.

Listening to the SoU address right now, and also Chancellor Merkel's "State of the Nation".

NYU sent out on Friday, Feb 1 last year, so I'm guessing/hoping it will send acceptances on Friday, Jan 31 this year.

I have recently been watching lots of trashy TV as a distraction, like "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!", "Life UneXpected" etc.

Listening to the SoU address right now, and also Chancellor Merkel's "State of the Nation".

I just started watching Malcolm in the Middle. Very funny. 

I'm thinking Pitt will still announce tomorrow or Friday, although I've gotten it from the inside that the committee is still "reviewing files." Whether that means they're in final rounds or just beginning is hard to say. I'm not sure which I'd prefer... :)

Update by Boston University: DGS just emailed me, the committee needs time and hopefully some news will be available by March.

So, looks like the two admissions are fake.

My shows of the application seasons have been:

The Sopranos - because it is awesome.

White Collar - My guilty pleasure.

archer - it is hilarious! 

The last two are on netflix. 

Speaking of the State of the Union, a friend asked who would become President in the event of a terrorist attack on the SoU last night. It was a fun opportunity to revisit the West Wing episode "He Shall, from Time to Time." WW is one of my favorite shows to binge watch (over and over) in stressful times.

This year, our President would have been the Secretary of Energy.