Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

They hired Edmund Malesky, a cutting-edge scholar of Vietnam.

Thus far, most his work has been on Vietnam. He is interested in China though and will continue to do work on China in the future. 

He is also just generally awesome.

Thus far, most his work has been on Vietnam. He is interested in China though and will continue to do work on China in the future. 

He is also just generally awesome.

I wholeheartedly concur.

Thanks aecp, and to all of you well-wishers. Melanie Manion is the department's resident Sinologist; it's actually Duke that is more lacking in that department, ever since Tianjian Shi passed away a few years back. They hired Edmund Malesky, a cutting-edge scholar of Vietnam.

I'm a few years out of school with no stat/quant and few polisci classes on my transcripts. Last year I went 0-10, so starting in April last year, I completely overhauled my application:

I took a statistics MOOC, read a few books on data analysis, studied regression analysis at an IPSA summer methods program, and then took even more MOOCs (game theory, social network analysis, a class on R, etc.).

The IPSA class also produced a letter of recommendation that could address the methods worries.

A translation I had made last year wound up on a graduate-level polisci syllabus this year, by sheer luck.

Finally, I jumped into the broader polisci literature instead of only reading books on China, and that prompted a major shift in my research interests which was in turn reflected in my SoP.

The last nine months required a huge investment of time, effort, and money, but paid dividends (Duke rejected me last year). I encourage anyone who is passionate about graduate school to bust balls (pardon my language) if this cycle (which is far from over) doesn't pan out.

Wow! As a JD (who worked after ugrad before heading to law school), any quant-focused and economics courses I took were a long, long time ago and that is one part of my application I am quite nervous about. I did a few research projects in law school that involved stats and one of my publications involved a basic statistical analysis of caselaw but....that's about it.

Anyways, you certainly showed your dedication by buckling down and addressing a weakness--well done! I'm sure that is very impressive to adcomms.

I heard that Stata vs R vs SAS is extremely irrelevant. What is relevant, from what I gather, however, is quant/qual/formal methods.

As grad students we love to debate the merits of R versus Stata (and it's quite fashionable to use R to "signal" how teched up you are), but it is a mostly pointless and nauseating discussion. If you have a clear hypothesis and you know how to properly specify and estimate a model of that hypothesis, that is what really matters. More importantly, BFB is right - you'll need to adopt whatever program(s) your various methods professors prefer anyway.

Just knowing what R is in the first place at least shows that you have a pretty good idea what grad school will be like. That's probably worth something.

With a heavy sigh of relief, I claim one of the Duke admits. Thanks to the many posters who have shared words of encouragement, and I hope that the roller coaster ride I've experienced today can provide some encouragement to others: a first rejection doesn't equate to a lost cycle!

Huge congrats! It must be such a relief to know you're already in a strong position!

As grad students we love to debate the merits of R versus Stata (and it's quite fashionable to use R to "signal" how teched up you are), but it is a mostly pointless and nauseating discussion. If you have a clear hypothesis and you know how to properly specify and estimate a model of that hypothesis, that is what really matters. More importantly, BFB is right - you'll need to adopt whatever program(s) your various methods professors prefer anyway.

Just knowing what R is in the first place at least shows that you have a pretty good idea what grad school will be like. That's probably worth something.

Agreed that it is probably just a signal, but yea, as an applicant, I guess the goal is to have as many signals as possible in your app! 

I think I have a perfect sense of what grad school will be like and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Congrats everyone for your amazing acceptances.

I'm sitting n a crazy boring lecture. Getting an acceptance would ddfinitely sweeten the deal... No pressure to for any of my schools, though!

I'm sitting n a crazy boring lecture. Getting an acceptance would ddfinitely sweeten the deal... No pressure to for any of my schools, though!

))) What's the lecture on?

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be sitting in on a lecture right now! :)

New materialism in gender studies. I hate gender studies as a discipline, find New materialism crazy boring. The guy giving the talk also basically only reads out quotes, and then translates them. Since his tone of voice never changes, I also do not know when he might actually be explaining his own opinion. And, BTW, he only read two books on the subject so far...

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be sitting in on a lecture right now! :)

For real. I'm sitting at my office. Like I always am. all the time. About to head over to the inter-american development bank. that might be ok. I hope the state of the union does not significantly mess up traffic home tonight in DC.

To all the people applying straight from undergrad: don't do it! To me, once you are in a PhD program there is no turning back. you are signing up for a certain kind of life (which most of us, I'm sure, will/would love). BUT, go make some money first. travel. make mistakes. spend money. work in jobs you hate. you will be better off for it regardless. Your experiences will (almost always) make you a better candidate and you will have a MUCH better idea of what you want to research. Life is more about figuring out what you don't want, than what you do want. I knew I wanted a PhD when I finished my undergrad, but I'm glad I didn't apply then. At 28, I think I'm a little old than ideal, but 24-26...that is the money age to start...

Ok. I'll step off my soap box now... 

To all the people applying straight from undergrad: don't do it! To me, once you are in a PhD program there is no turning back. you are signing up for a certain kind of life (which most of us, I'm sure, will/would love). BUT, go make some money first. travel. make mistakes. spend money. work in jobs you hate. you will be better off for it regardless. Your experiences will (almost always) make you a better candidate and you will have a MUCH better idea of what you want to research. Life is more about figuring out what you don't want, than what you do want. I knew I wanted a PhD when I finished my undergrad, but I'm glad I didn't apply then. At 28, I think I'm a little old than ideal, but 24-26...that is the money age to start...

+1 

For real. I'm sitting at my office. Like I always am. all the time. About to head over to the inter-american development bank. that might be ok. I hope the state of the union does not significantly mess up traffic home tonight in DC.

Having just turned 26, I appreciate hearing that.

But yes, my research interests now (and subfield) are very different than what they would have been had I applied straight from undergrad. Most importantly, though, I would not have felt confident or comfortable going through a program having wondered what I might have done elsewhere. I'm going in clear-eyed, no reservations. None I haven't thoroughly considered, anyhow.

That said, there are plenty of advantages applying directly or within a year of finishing your bachelor's. You'll be under 30 when you finish, for one thing, and you'll be "fresher" on being a student. And you're really no worse off than if you decide academia's not for you in the end, just less familiar with the world outside academia. It's a personal call, ultimately.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have just skimmed through quite a few pages... Am I correct to assume that I have been rejected from Wisconsin and UNC if I haven't heard back from them yet? I'm out of the country, so I have a difficult time checking my application status.

I am happy to admit, however, that I have made it to Emory's final admissions pool and have an interview with them Thursday. I've also received am offer from CU Boulder (my alma mater).

Having just turned 26, I appreciate hearing that.

But yes, my research interests now (and subfield) are very different than what they would have been had I applied straight from undergrad. Most importantly, though, I would not have felt confident or comfortable going through a program having wondered what I might have done elsewhere. I'm going in clear-eyed, no reservations. None I haven't thoroughly considered, anyhow.

That said, there are plenty of advantages applying directly or within a year of finishing your bachelor's. You'll be under 30 when you finish, for one thing, and you'll be "fresher" on being a student. And you're really no worse off than if you decide academia's not for you in the end, just less familiar with the world outside academia. It's a personal call, ultimately.

Well said. I certainly agree with everyone warning folks off from going directly from undergrad but also know folks that have been very happy and successful going straight through. I personally couldn't have done it. So I'll only say this to all of you seniors: If you get shut out, or only accepted to schools you're hesitant about going to--do not get disheartened because it could be the best thing that ever happened to you.

After undergrad, I worked for a few years in an industry that really helped me refine my interests. I then went to a top law school while working in politics the entire time (ignore everyone who claims there is no way to be a successful full-time law student and work outside of school) and got to explore my interests in the classroom and outside of it all while writing, researching, and publishing. Now I work in a rewarding job but am applying for a Ph.D. because I have a very focused, driven idea of why and how the degree will benefit me--even if I don't get a tenure-track position. In my personal life, after undergrad, I had my heart broken by someone I had dated for yeeeears and had made marriage plans with. I ended up moving to a new city and met tons of new people...and then moved to another new city for law school where I made wonderful new friends--and met my husband. Now, I can't imagine being in a better position in my life (both professionally and personally) to go to grad school if I'm lucky enough to get into one of the programs I applied to.

Honestly, everyone is different and no one path will ever be perfect for anyone, but if this cycle doesn't work out--look at it as nothing more or less than a wonderful opportunity. (After you drink away your sorrows and/or cry.)

I can second everything people here have said about life changing dramatically by spending your early 20s outside of academia. I don't have much to add there. I will add that even professionally, the benefits can be enormous. I have developed considerable general skills over the last five years that will benefit me substantially for the rest of my life. My personal network is much stronger, including contacts that will be useful for research down the line. My work habits have improved. My ability to work under pressure, interpersonal skills (as simple as making a professional phone call or writing a professional email) and general discipline have improved tremendously since I left college.

But most importantly, my intuitive understandings of how campaigns, politics, legislating, and advocacy work have been completely reshaped by actively participating in those worlds.

Edited by James4

THIS.

I can't give any more upvotes today, so I'll echo James above and +1 it.

This is very thoughtful and well-intentioned advice. However, please bear in mind that there are quite a few people on here, like myself, who are anxiously waiting to hear back from schools, who have spent nearly $800 on applications, GRE scores, and transcripts, and have spent a great deal of time thinking about what they'll have to give up to attend graduate school. No one is rushing into this decision, and no one in the middle of the process really wants to hear, especially right now, that they're making some huge mistake because they didn't take a year off. 

This is very thoughtful and well-intentioned advice. However, please bear in mind that there are quite a few people on here, like myself, who are anxiously waiting to hear back from schools, who have spent nearly $800 on applications, GRE scores, and transcripts, and have spent a great deal of time thinking about what they'll have to give up to attend graduate school. No one is rushing into this decision, and no one in the middle of the process really wants to hear, especially right now, that they're making some huge mistake because they didn't take a year off. 

I will gently push back just to mention that advice is advice, not an attack on someone's choices. Definitely be confident in your own decision-making process but there is no reason to not want to hear contradictory advice. I'm sure everyone means well. And hey, I never stopped hearing I was making a terrible mistake by going to law school even after I graduated! Ha :)

Another San Diego acceptance has been posted, FYI.

Edited by boazczoine