Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Someone wants to claim UCSD?

what the hack last Tuesday i talked to Professor and they did not even meet yet. Now an offer?

Troll maybe???

If they have not met...I guess it is not possible to admit someone...

Congrats to the Madison people, it's an amazing program.

Of course, also congrats to everyone else who heard today, I am sure all of the acceptances were well deserved!

Those (like me...) still waiting, don't give up hope! The cycle has only just begun!

THANKS TONI!! 

Was that you who got in UCSD though? 

Congrats everyone! 

To those admitted to Madison, were you guys notified through an official email, or an informal message from your POI?

It was from the representative of my primary field at the committee. He told me official letters will arrive in the coming days.

OK so there was a flood of Wisconsin admits here. Great for the people who got them, congrats again, I am genuinely happy for you (especially for the gradcafe buddies who have been around for a while now, go folks!). It is a bummer for me though, because I didn't get one. So, the logical thing here would be to count Wisconsin as a potential rejection. However, there is also this stuff about the postal service and e-mails coming from POIs as opposed to being automated system notifications. I know that I am reading tea leaves and stretching it as far as I can to avoid striking Wisconsin off my list, but is it possible maybe my letter is on the mail, and that my POI just didn't email me? 

(you should say *yes* here, but convincingly please)

OK so there was a flood of Wisconsin admits here. Great for the people who got them, congrats again, I am genuinely happy for you (especially for the gradcafe buddies who have been around for a while now, go folks!). It is a bummer for me though, because I didn't get one. So, the logical thing here would be to count Wisconsin as a potential rejection. However, there is also this stuff about the postal service and e-mails coming from POIs as opposed to being automated system notifications. I know that I am reading tea leaves and stretching it as far as I can to avoid striking Wisconsin off my list, but is it possible maybe my letter is on the mail, and that my POI just didn't email me? 

(you should say *yes* here, but convincingly please)

Gnome- It is still quite possible.  I actually was not contacted by a POI, but rather by the faculty member heading up my subfield in the admissions process.  I don't know if applicants from each subfield have been similarly notified.

Massive congratulations to all the admits today! Super well deserved :)

Everyone else, hang in there! :)

I'm like...95% sure UCLA will start notifying on Monday, February 3rd. (Although there is a miniscule chance, I suppose, that they're on an earlier schedule this year and start notifying today.)

So gauging from previous years' results (based on first acceptance reported on GC):

2013: Monday, February 4th (5th Monday of term, but technically 6th week, because Winter quarter started Wednesday, January 2nd)

2012: Monday, January 30th (4th Monday of term, but technically 5th week, because Winter quarter started Wednesday, January 4th)

2011: Monday, January 31st (5th Monday of term; Winter quarter started January 3rd)

There seems to be a general trend of starting notifications on Mondays at UCLA. And hearkening back to advice earlier in the thread about checking start-of-term dates, UCLA started on Thursday, January 2nd this year. If they stick to the pattern, Monday, February 3rd will probably be the day they start. 

On that note - I wonder if any of the other schools have such a set date/pattern too...

Figured I'd pull the past results on Berkeley too, since some UCs seem to be getting a decent amount of action today. The reported results are a lot more patchy for Cal, so definitely a lot less certain in these findings (in many cases for previous years, the earliest reported date only had one incident reported; 2013 had tons of reports). But in any case, going off of those:

2013: Friday, February 8th (4th week, term began Tuesday, January 15th)

2012: Friday, February 3rd (4th week, term began Tuesday, January 10th)

2011: Friday, February 4th (4th week, term began Tuesday, January 11th)

This year, spring semester began on Tuesday, January 14th. Extrapolating then, the earliest there will presumably be any news from Berkeley is Friday, February 7th.

In a strange sort of way, it'll be interesting to see if any of these predictions pan out.  

To Madison admits: how will you respond to the email?? I'm not sure what the protocol is...

Generally, how should one respond to a personalized acceptance email?

I just said that I was happy to hear from her and also said thank you for the offer of admission. Then I asked when visit days would be :)

To Madison admits: how will you respond to the email?? I'm not sure what the protocol is...

I don't regret responding this way, but I recommend not replying like I did:

I talked about how we people on gradcafe are waiting for this... although my email overall was not very childish of course

Edited by jazzrap

Today was quite a busy day for admissions. Congratulations to everyone who got into programs today :) Realllllly hoping to hear something this week! 

There's no real protocol. Thank them or don't. If you have any questions for them don't be afraid to ask. Really, there's not a whole lot you can do wrong after being accepted. That said, you might be working closely with this person soon and even if you choose to go elsewhere, he or she is still a future colleague.  It can't hurt to send off a polite thank you note.

Congratulations

Edited by dmet

No word from UCSD for me, either! I say it's either a troll, or some lucky person who was a priority admit.

I practically got a heart attack last night when seeing the result...

Edited by IRToni