Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

Has anyone heard from the developmental program at Harvard? I had an interview at the beginning of February, and haven't heard anything since (or seen anything in the results search). 

The area made 3 offers, I think... I heard back on 2/27.

Does anyone know if Minnesota tends to hold all their rejections till the end or do they tend to let you know early on you're rejected? I applied to work with faculty who work in multiple departments (e.g. Social, clinical, personality) - so I don't think it'd be that department specific (in my scenerio).

Does anyone know if Minnesota tends to hold all their rejections till the end or do they tend to let you know early on you're rejected? I applied to work with faculty who work in multiple departments (e.g. Social, clinical, personality) - so I don't think it'd be that department specific (in my scenerio).

I don't know how the other areas work, but for I/O they invite the people they admit up to their Welcome Weekend (which was this last weekend) and that's it.  They don't have a waitlist, so anyone in I/O not invited to the weekend can safely assume rejection.  I don't know whether other areas use waitlists or draw from applicants that they did not invite to the weekend (the Welcome Weekend is for all areas of psych.)  Not sure if that helps.

Edited by Bren2014

I don't know how the other areas work, but for I/O they invite the people they admit up to their Welcome Weekend (which was this last weekend) and that's it. They don't have a waitlist, so anyone in I/O not invited to the weekend can safely assume rejection. I don't know whether other areas use waitlists or draw from applicants that they did not invite to the weekend (the Welcome Weekend is for all areas of psych.) Not sure if that helps.

It helps! Thanks! I'm assuming they just haven't gotten around to rejecting me. Oh well.

Edited by psychresearch

I'm pretty much dying waiting for my "official" acceptance from UW. I just want to see the $$ and tell them I'm going so this all can be over!

Btw, haven't heard anything from Maryland since my "fake" acceptance letter.

Has anyone applied to these schools and heard back: UVA (community psych), Georgetown (human dev and policy), UIC (Community research), Northwestern (human dev and policy), Depaul (comm psych), Loyola (applied psych)

Has anyone heard from any non-clinical programs at Georgia State? They are both my last chance and my first choice and I'm DYING!

Hi! We are in the same boat. I emailed the admissions coordinator because I noticed that it was not showing the most up to date info for some of my materials and I wanted to know if I should resend the transcript (This was like 2/26). She wrote back interview invites had been extended but I should send it in case there were a second round of interviews. I was a little confused because it's not clear on the website whether there are interviews for the non-clinical programs but I just sent it anyway and have been waiting.

Hi! We are in the same boat. I emailed the admissions coordinator because I noticed that it was not showing the most up to date info for some of my materials and I wanted to know if I should resend the transcript (This was like 2/26). She wrote back interview invites had been extended but I should send it in case there were a second round of interviews. I was a little confused because it's not clear on the website whether there are interviews for the non-clinical programs but I just sent it anyway and have been waiting.

Looks like we applied to the same program! I didn't see anything about interviews, and looking at the student admissions data it doesn't look like they did interviews last year for Community or Developmental...but they did interview people in the years prior. Shoot! I really want to go to GSU! 

Edit: Or maybe they thought you were a Clinical/Community applicant who would have needed an interview. I think I'm gonna go with that idea. 

Edited by ihatechoosingusernames

Guest joshw4288

Has anyone applied to these schools and heard back: UVA (community psych), Georgetown (human dev and policy), UIC (Community research), Northwestern (human dev and policy), Depaul (comm psych), Loyola (applied psych)

Received word from Loyola Applied Social today

Did UW-Madison ever have an interview weekend?

Yes, they did interviews 2/27-3/1. Based on the results page, it looks like they sent out at least a few rejections. I don't think they've sent out any official acceptances yet though..

Received word from Loyola Applied Social today

I still have not heard anything from them. Are they sending out rejections or acceptances now? Have they even interviewed?

Looks like we applied to the same program! I didn't see anything about interviews, and looking at the student admissions data it doesn't look like they did interviews last year for Community or Developmental...but they did interview people in the years prior. Shoot! I really want to go to GSU! 

Edit: Or maybe they thought you were a Clinical/Community applicant who would have needed an interview. I think I'm gonna go with that idea. 

I like that idea. Either way it's getting harder and harder not to obsess. lol

I think the application status page and the IPORT page are my top two looked at pages at the moment! haha

What is IPORT and what programs did you lot apply to, I still have not heard back from 6!

What is IPORT and what programs did you lot apply to, I still have not heard back from 6!

IPORT is a website specific to Georgia State that shows how many people applied for 2014, and how many of those have been accepted, wait listed, and denied. It's kept pretty up-to-date, though I don't know if it's update in real time. 

Well, this week is/will be full of milestones. I sent my first "I'm sorry I don't want to go to your school" emails, and received touching responses from both the director of the program and my POI. I got a really stellar fellowship at one of my top choices (thanks UCLA for having a janky system), and I just finished packing my bags from my last interview.

This whole process has been a little surreal. People told me it was going to be the best/worst 3 months of my life and they were kinda right.

Thanks everyone for being supportive and helpful with my questions, and I hope you all get acceptance letters from all the schools you want.

Well, this week is/will be full of milestones. I sent my first "I'm sorry I don't want to go to your school" emails, and received touching responses from both the director of the program and my POI. I got a really stellar fellowship at one of my top choices (thanks UCLA for having a janky system), and I just finished packing my bags from my last interview.

This whole process has been a little surreal. People told me it was going to be the best/worst 3 months of my life and they were kinda right.

Thanks everyone for being supportive and helpful with my questions, and I hope you all get acceptance letters from all the schools you want.

I totally agree with the "best/worst three months" piece. On the good side, I got to travel around the country (for free!) and had great conversations with people in my field. On the bad side, I was rejected from four schools (3 post-interview), and even though I really didn't want to go to any of them (well, three of them), it still stings a little. But I got on amazing acceptance from UW, the DAY after my interview, so they must have really liked me or something. I'm just waiting for my official offer and funding so I can accept and finally end this process.

I totally agree with the "best/worst three months" piece. On the good side, I got to travel around the country (for free!) and had great conversations with people in my field. On the bad side, I was rejected from four schools (3 post-interview), and even though I really didn't want to go to any of them (well, three of them), it still stings a little. But I got on amazing acceptance from UW, the DAY after my interview, so they must have really liked me or something. I'm just waiting for my official offer and funding so I can accept and finally end this process.

You'll love UW. I did my undergrad there and work in the psych department right now. I'm sad to be leaving, but they don't have the kind of quant program I've been looking for. Welcome to Seattle and the Husky family!

You'll love UW. I did my undergrad there and work in the psych department right now. I'm sad to be leaving, but they don't have the kind of quant program I've been looking for. Welcome to Seattle and the Husky family!

Thanks! I officially accepted my offer yesterday. OH MY GOD I'M DONE. Now I just have to wait to hear about my NSF GRFP......