Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

After you've interviewed, and you want to send a "thank you" email, is it okay to also share more ideas about a research project discussed in the interview?  Or is that considered pushy? 

We spoke briefly about ways to conduct a certain study, and I had some (possibly) good ideas on the way home from the interview weekend.  Should I just wait and see if I'll even get a chance to work there, or is it okay to share my ideas at this point in the "thank you" email?

I spoke about a particular article on my Maryland interview, so when I sent my thank you email, I attached it. The PI didn't seem to mind. She actually said that she looked forward to reading it.

Also, I sent a thank you email to the UW PI this morning (the interview weekend was a few days ago), and she responded and said I had been accepted! Quickest acceptance of my life, so I would definitely send an email. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

Edited by bathingintheneon

Has anyone heard from/applied to/heard anything about the university of new Orleans' applied Biopsychology phd program? There is nothing on the results page or anywhere I could find online that says when they typically send out decisions.

Thank you so much!!!

So I've seen a few UC Berkeley Psychology admits and maybe one or two Social Psych ones, which is where I applied. Given that I was not called for an interview, I am seriously confused as to why I haven't just been outright rejected yet....Same with University of Washington.

Does anybody have more information regarding the USC acceptances posted today? Were they from the DCT or POI? Official email or just an early heads up?

Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing, could anyone who has gotten an acceptance or rejection PM me?

Thank you

Finally heard back from UVA. The professors I applied to work with weren't allowed any grad students this year (since they are just starting work in Fall 2014), but they offered me a lab manager position with the certainty that I could start grad school in 2015. Not super excited about this idea, since I have offers from other schools, and I'm a lab manager now (and very very ready to start grad school in a few months).

Maybe they'll let me be a post-doc in five years...

Finally heard back from UVA. The professors I applied to work with weren't allowed any grad students this year (since they are just starting work in Fall 2014), but they offered me a lab manager position with the certainty that I could start grad school in 2015. Not super excited about this idea, since I have offers from other schools, and I'm a lab manager now (and very very ready to start grad school in a few months).

Maybe they'll let me be a post-doc in five years...

Wow, they must have really liked you! That's an interesting proposition. Would you be his/her first grad student?

Edited by jakem

Wow, they must have really liked you! That's an interesting proposition. Would you be his/her first grad student?

Yep. But I told them I wasn't going to take their position, because I really want to start graduate school in the fall. I'll probably end up going to UW.

Yep. But I told them I wasn't going to take their position, because I really want to start graduate school in the fall. I'll probably end up going to UW.

Well, congratulations either way!  They (UW) have an excellent great program. :)

That awkward moment when you receive an acceptance letter from Maryland and then find out it was a mistake, and you weren't actually accepted... (I heard about this happening to other people, and I always thought "wow, that sucks.")

Here's what happened. I received my acceptance letter via e-mail from a staff member. Then I received another e-mail from her saying "please disregard my last e-mail, it was a mistake on our end." Of course, I'm thinking "uh, what kind of response is that?? did I get into the program or not?" and I e-mail her back asking for clarification. She says I've been put on the wait list. Then I receive ANOTHER e-mail from another staff member saying NO DECISION had been reached about my application yet. Apparently when he was approving the acceptance letters, he got my name mixed up with another applicant's. He said if I had more questions I could contact the Developmental Psychology chair (which of course was the PI I had applied to). BTW, I still haven't heard anything from the PI in all this mess.

I think this whole situation has essentially taken Maryland out of the running for me... it just seems like a bad way to start grad school. Plus, no one can even make up their mind whether to admit me. Ughhh.

That awkward moment when you receive an acceptance letter from Maryland and then find out it was a mistake, and you weren't actually accepted... (I heard about this happening to other people, and I always thought "wow, that sucks.")

Here's what happened. I received my acceptance letter via e-mail from a staff member. Then I received another e-mail from her saying "please disregard my last e-mail, it was a mistake on our end." Of course, I'm thinking "uh, what kind of response is that?? did I get into the program or not?" and I e-mail her back asking for clarification. She says I've been put on the wait list. Then I receive ANOTHER e-mail from another staff member saying NO DECISION had been reached about my application yet. Apparently when he was approving the acceptance letters, he got my name mixed up with another applicant's. He said if I had more questions I could contact the Developmental Psychology chair (which of course was the PI I had applied to). BTW, I still haven't heard anything from the PI in all this mess.

I think this whole situation has essentially taken Maryland out of the running for me... it just seems like a bad way to start grad school. Plus, no one can even make up their mind whether to admit me. Ughhh.

That is just crazy. I don't blame you for being turned off. I attended UMD for my first undergrad degree, and unfortunately, I'm not at all surprised by this story. 

You will love UW.  I grew up there, and have actually been accepted at Seattle Pacific University across the bridge from there...and it is...the best decision you'll ever make...

Has anyone gotten emails from U. Arizona - accepted or otherwise recently? I just checked my application and saw that my status was recently updated on Feb. 28th but I don't see anything under the application for admitted, rejected or waitlisted. 

Here's what happened. I received my acceptance letter via e-mail from a staff member. Then I received another e-mail from her saying "please disregard my last e-mail, it was a mistake on our end." Of course, I'm thinking "uh, what kind of response is that?? did I get into the program or not?" and I e-mail her back asking for clarification. She says I've been put on the wait list. Then I receive ANOTHER e-mail from another staff member saying NO DECISION had been reached about my application yet. Apparently when he was approving the acceptance letters, he got my name mixed up with another applicant's. He said if I had more questions I could contact the Developmental Psychology chair (which of course was the PI I had applied to). BTW, I still haven't heard anything from the PI in all this mess.

Wow, that's so unprofessional. Academics can be real screw-ups sometimes.

You will love UW.  I grew up there, and have actually been accepted at Seattle Pacific University across the bridge from there...and it is...the best decision you'll ever make...

That's good news! I've lived in North Carolina my whole life, so going to Seattle is a pretty big move for me. But the more I think about it the more excited I get!

Did anyone else apply to the University of Tennessee (Clinical Psychology). I was wondering when they will make offers. I just flew home today and I am on pins and needles waiting it out. How long does it usually take?