Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

Has anyone that interviewed at UNC Charlotte for Clinical Health Psychology heard back yet?  I am wondering because I emailed both the director and my POI on Friday to ask if they had any updates since we were supposed to find out either way at the beginning of the week.  The director never got back to me and my POI asked if I have time to talk tomorrow.  I hoped I would be told of their decision before she calls me.  

That sounds promising. I don't think the POI would delay a rejection :-)

I emailed the director and received a rejection response. Best of luck to you!

I'm waiting to hear from UVA as well. I received a rejection from UNCC via email, so I reached out to UVA just to inquire on the status of the application cycle. Part of me wants to believe that they are still reviewing apps

Have you gotten a response about the status of applications yet?

Just found this on UVA's FAQs:

Can I call the Graduate School to see if my application is complete?

No, please do not call the Graduate School to see if your application is complete. They are so busy that they will just transfer you to the department you applied that probably will not be able to tell you anything until after February 15.

Does that mean that they are still reviewing apps up until Feb 15?

ACCEPTED!!!  After THREE YEARS of applications, I have been accepted to my top choice!!!  I am over the moon excited!  :D :D :D

ACCEPTED!!!  After THREE YEARS of applications, I have been accepted to my top choice!!!  I am over the moon excited!  :D :D :D

ME TOO! Third time's the charm? :D !!

Guest joshw4288

Georgetown had interviews Feb 6-8 and has a second set of interviewees coming up. Decisions to be made a few weeks after the second set of interviews.

Just found this on UVA's FAQs:

Can I call the Graduate School to see if my application is complete?

No, please do not call the Graduate School to see if your application is complete. They are so busy that they will just transfer you to the department you applied that probably will not be able to tell you anything until after February 15.

Does that mean that they are still reviewing apps up until Feb 15?

This statement makes it seem as if this is the case. This is gonna drive me crazy. 

That sounds promising. I don't think the POI would delay a rejection :-)

I emailed the director and received a rejection response. Best of luck to you!

Thanks I really hope so, but am not thinking that is the case.  Did you interview?  I feel like they have to be on the fence or something otherwise they would just let me know. 

Thanks I really hope so, but am not thinking that is the case.  Did you interview?  I feel like they have to be on the fence or something otherwise they would just let me know. 

No I didn't interview. I emailed after learning about the interview weekend. Fingers crossed for you!

Can anyone who got emailed for interview for the clinical psych program at teachers college, columbia university pm me their POI's or let me know if all the invitations have gone out? Much obliged!

Does anyone apply to idaho State and Western Illinois U? I applied both for experimental, PhD for ISU, master for WIU. So far no responses at all and no reply to my inquiries neither. Worried......anxious.....

To the person who posted the Princeton comment today on the results page... I feel ya. Biting my fingernails over here!!!! Email me your POI if you feel like chatting?

I feel both clinical, social, and developmental psych departments are sooo much faster at processing applications than cognitive. I know that cognitive has a pretty big application pool but there are so few results for cognitive on the results page. What is going on? Is the cognitive department truly slower than the other psych departments or are those applicants interested in cognitive just not as likely to post their results?

Got this e mail the other day (Feb 19th) from the admissions rep at Columbia Teacher's College:

Thank you for your email. The program is continuing to review applications and will continue to send out interview invitations through the end of this week. 

Best, 
Ivana

Ivana L. Man
Assistant Director of Admission
Teachers College, Columbia University
525 W 120th Street,

New York, NY 10027

I applied to the Clinical psych program. Sorry for the delay in posting, was kinda bummed I did not get an e mail for an interview :( Best of luck to anyone who got an interview!

After you've interviewed, and you want to send a "thank you" email, is it okay to also share more ideas about a research project discussed in the interview?  Or is that considered pushy? 

We spoke briefly about ways to conduct a certain study, and I had some (possibly) good ideas on the way home from the interview weekend.  Should I just wait and see if I'll even get a chance to work there, or is it okay to share my ideas at this point in the "thank you" email?

Edited by Bren2014

After you've interviewed, and you want to send a "thank you" email, is it okay to also share more ideas about a research project discussed in the interview? Or is that considered pushy?

We spoke briefly about ways to conduct a certain study, and I had some (possibly) good ideas on the way home from the interview weekend. Should I just wait and see if I'll even get a chance to work there, or is it okay to share my ideas at this point in the "thank you" email?

On my phone. Lol.

I thought about the same thing and ended up writing aomething like, I'm glad we had such a stimulating conversation about X, I thought about it the whole way home ...

Guess it worked. Lol. I got accepted some days later.

After you've interviewed, and you want to send a "thank you" email, is it okay to also share more ideas about a research project discussed in the interview? Or is that considered pushy?

We spoke briefly about ways to conduct a certain study, and I had some (possibly) good ideas on the way home from the interview weekend. Should I just wait and see if I'll even get a chance to work there, or is it okay to share my ideas at this point in the "thank you" email?

I'd say go for it! Tell him/her that you thought up some more ideas. It will show that you're actually research-oriented and aren't just BSing to get accepted.

Edit: Never mind, congrats!

Edited by jakem

After you've interviewed, and you want to send a "thank you" email, is it okay to also share more ideas about a research project discussed in the interview?  Or is that considered pushy? 

We spoke briefly about ways to conduct a certain study, and I had some (possibly) good ideas on the way home from the interview weekend.  Should I just wait and see if I'll even get a chance to work there, or is it okay to share my ideas at this point in the "thank you" email?

I've been hearing different things about this.  When it was me, I just sent a "thank you" and decided to back off a bit.  Some people on this forum have advised a similar strategy, others have said it's probably fine to mention more research ideas.

Honestly, I doubt that either talking about research more or not talking about it is going to push towards or away from acceptance one way or the other at this stage.  Go with what you are more comfortable with.

Yep, I always send a thank you email! Nothing too fancy, just something that says thanks for taking the time to interview me and pointing out something that I really enjoyed about the interview/school/etc.

One school that I interviewed at asked specifically NOT to send a thank you email so unless you interview at a school that tells you the same, I'm sure that sending a thank you is fine!