Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard from the University of Kansas' social psychology program? 

Judging by the results board, they only hold phone interviews in late January and then I see like 6 people wait listed in each of the previous 3 app seasons. 

This is the e-mail I got back from the grad person at KU.  I sent an e-mail 1/17:

I was told the Social will have their interviews at the end of this Month.  That is all I know now. Letters will go out as soon as I get the final decisions.

Thank you,

Cathy O'Keefe

Psychology Dept.

Graduate Officer

SONA Administrator

I was supposed to hear back from a school sometime this week to see if I would be selected for their on-campus interviews (after having a phone interview).  So far I haven't heard anything from them and I am starting to freak out!  I really liked their program and the POI.  

I was supposed to hear back from a school sometime this week to see if I would be selected for their on-campus interviews (after having a phone interview).  So far I haven't heard anything from them and I am starting to freak out!  I really liked their program and the POI.  

Hmm. Has anything been posted on the results board that would indicate that people have been invited to an on-campus interview?

Two of the schools that I applied to both stated that they had their committee meetings on Friday; maybe you'll hear later on today? If not I would send an email to your POI.

Good luck!

Edited by kpsych

I'm thinking about emailing my POI at UT Austin directly to see if all of his interview invitations went out. Is contacting the POI appropriate? Has this worked well for others? I don't want to come across bothersome.

Why not just wait?  It's all out of your hands right now.  If anything, yes, you might come across as bothersome to a POI.  Likely won't have an effect on your application status, but it's best to not rub people the wrong way in this business.

Thanks guys, you talked me down from the ledge! I'll leave my POI alone :)

I have a ton of work to do today, but have resigned to stare at my email inbox instead.

What is the best way to reply to an offer that you don't want to accept or reject yet? I'd like to wait until I hear from at least go on my other interviews, but I'm not sure how to word that...the POI sent me a very nice and personalized email so I don't want him to think I'm not taking it seriously, or come off as if I'm waiting for something better. 

You should definitely acknowledge the offer ... I wrote something like this ...

Hi Dr. XX,

Thank you so much for the email, this is very exciting.

I am waiting to hear back from other schools that I applied to, but XX is one on my top choices and I'm excited to be accepted. I will definitely let you know prior to XX if I plan to accept the offer and assistantship.

To the person who called Columbia and was told all invites have been sent out: counseling or clinical PhD? Thank you!

Neither. I was talking about the Ph.D. program based in GSAS, not Teachers College. 

Well someone just posted an outright acceptance at my top choice  :(

To the person who got an acceptance at CUNY- animal behavior, may I ask who your POI is (although I'm not sure they do matches with acceptance) and if you accepted the offer? We creepily have the EXACT same GRE scores on both verbal and quant, which gives me hope if they aren't done extending offers....

Hi lunarem, I believe that is me whom you are referring to. I would say don't worry. The only reason I was notified of an acceptance is because I was ranked the top applicant, according to the program chair. My POI's are Jon Horvitz and Andy Delamater. I haven't accepted the offer yet, as I would like to meet the POI's first. 

Hmm. Has anything been posted on the results board that would indicate that people have been invited to an on-campus interview?

Two of the schools that I applied to both stated that they had their committee meetings on Friday; maybe you'll hear later on today? If not I would send an email to your POI.

Good luck!

Nothing really on the results board, but the POI gave me their general timeline and when I should hear back from them during my phone interview.  

I'm probably going to hold off on emailing until next week because, as one of my professors pointed out, my whole state has had bad weather this week so that is probably impacting the timeline I had received earlier.  Still incredibly nerve-wracking though, the waiting is driving me insane!

Thanks! Those are not my POI's- phew. I was actually in the middle of drafting an email to the program head (Dr. Hauber) to inquire about the status of my application but I think I will wait. Congrats! I'm assuming then that there is no interview process?

That's right, no interview process.

Nothing really on the results board, but the POI gave me their general timeline and when I should hear back from them during my phone interview.  

I'm probably going to hold off on emailing until next week because, as one of my professors pointed out, my whole state has had bad weather this week so that is probably impacting the timeline I had received earlier.  Still incredibly nerve-wracking though, the waiting is driving me insane!

I hear you on the waiting process --- and the weather (I'm in NJ!). Hope you hear something soon.

This is the e-mail I got back from the grad person at KU.  I sent an e-mail 1/17:

I was told the Social will have their interviews at the end of this Month.  That is all I know now. Letters will go out as soon as I get the final decisions.

Thank you,

Cathy O'Keefe

Psychology Dept.

Graduate Officer

SONA Administrator

Thank you very much for this! I wish Miss O'Keefe knew more about how many people were getting interviews and what not. Hopefully we both hear back from them soon, eh?! :) 

It's such a great program. If you wouldn't mind telling me your POIs or PMing me them? 

I thought Fordham was sending invites Monday?? Could it be another POI?

Anymore FSU?

I think FSU has sent out their invites for social psych, but I could be wrong.  They had their meeting over a week ago.  Did you apply to social, or a different program?

To the people who got invites to Suffolk: do you mind saying how you received invitation? Was it a mass email, or from your POI? And who is your POI?

I got a mass email saying I'd been rejected, so if you haven't heard anything yet you're actually probably not in a bad place.

Could the person who received a USC interview PM me or post here what psychology you applied to? Thanks!

Same here!

I'm not the one who posted on the results board, but I received an interview from USC for developmental. Hope this helps!