Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

What are you doing between rounds to improve your application? This is round 2 for me, but I'm finishing up my Master's now.

Well, between rounds 1 and 2, I got my Masters, retook the GRE, and got a publication. Between rounds 2 and 3, I worked as both a lab manager and an adjunct professor, and got two more publications. This year, I took a full time lab manager position and started going fMRI research.

Congratulations! :D

If I may ask, what changed between times 2 and 3?  I'm on my second time applying and only have one interview so far, so I'm starting to get a bit nervous, haha.

I applied with a Masters in Counseling this time around. My undergraduate experience worked against me in the past because I majored in an unrelated field. So even though I volunteered in psych labs throughout undergrad and spent a year working in a psychology lab post-undergrad, I still didn't have a competitive academic background.

So just wondering...when you've been invited to interview somewhere, is it completely unprofessional to ask your POI how many people are invited to the interview? I'm just trying to get an idea of where I stand, because I'm sure it varies from school to school. Has anyone else done this?

I think you should gage how much you click with the professor during the phone/skype interview before asking that.  If your POI seems to be friendly/supportive/likes you, I don't see why not.  During my phone interview, I asked how many people my POI was inviting to interview.  My POI told me the number of invites for the social psych program as a whole, and that they usually only invite people they intend to accept.  I don't think my POI minded, because my POI phone interviewed others but ended up inviting (seemingly only) me to interview weekend.  Instead of asking your POI "how many people are you inviting," you can ask "how many people does the cognitive psych program usually invite to interview weekend?"  I asked the former, but the latter is more subtle.

Alternatively, if you are hosted by a grad student, or if the grad students in charge of coordinating interview weekend contact you with "let me know if you have any questions," you can ask them.  I also did that for another school.  Good luck!

To all of those applying to PhD programs, what type of degrees do you currently have/will have by May? 

BA

For those who applied in more than one round, was your decision to apply again because you didn't get accepted into a program you wanted, or because you didn't get accepted the first time?  I applied to several schools that I don't really want to go to.  If I don't get into my top schools, I'm not sure if I should apply again or just go to a less ideal school.  What are your opinions?

BA

For those who applied in more than one round, was your decision to apply again because you didn't get accepted into a program you wanted, or because you didn't get accepted the first time?  I applied to several schools that I don't really want to go to.  If I don't get into my top schools, I'm not sure if I should apply again or just go to a less ideal school.  What are your opinions?

I applied last year and was accepted to several programs that were less than ideal so I decided to put off grad school for a year. My thought process this year was much different than it was last year as I spent months researching programs and only applied to programs that I would be happy attending. While I may not get into my top choices I would be thrilled to attend any of the schools I applied to this round.

I applied last year and was accepted to several programs that were less than ideal so I decided to put off grad school for a year. My thought process this year was much different than it was last year as I spent months researching programs and only applied to programs that I would be happy attending. While I may not get into my top choices I would be thrilled to attend any of the schools I applied to this round.

How many programs did you apply to last year and this year?

BA

I applied to 4 top schools and wound up not getting in. This time around, similar to edg, I applied to schools where I would not mind ending up. Rather, I would love to attend either of the programs I applied to. I think I would definitely side on edg's decision to not accept the "less favorable" schools considering you would be essentially committed to that program for 5 to 6 years. 

Hopefully you get into one of your top programs, but in the case that you don't, really consider if you would want to spend 5 to 6 years in whatever program you do get into (the less favorable).

And say you have to postpone for a year?Use it to your advantage and work on whatever it is you think your application was lacking. Research experience? Try to volunteer in at least one other lab. Low GRE? Study, study, study! Well.. you get the idea :)

Good luck on your top school apps!

How many programs did you apply to last year and this year?

8 and 11 respectively. I was able to up the overall numbers of applications I sent out by eliminating some exclusion criteria (i.e. I only looked at schools on the east coast last year while this year I applied to schools all over the country) while still only applying to programs that I was very excited about.

I know it's still early in the process, but I am beginning to consider Plan B options. With that said, can anyone recommend any MA/MS programs in either General Psych or Social Psych? 

I never considered having to apply for a masters, so I'm a little lost in terms of which programs are great and which are not. 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

I applied to 4 top schools and wound up not getting in. This time around, similar to edg, I applied to schools where I would not mind ending up. Rather, I would love to attend either of the programs I applied to. I think I would definitely side on edg's decision to not accept the "less favorable" schools considering you would be essentially committed to that program for 5 to 6 years. 

Hopefully you get into one of your top programs, but in the case that you don't, really consider if you would want to spend 5 to 6 years in whatever program you do get into (the less favorable).

And say you have to postpone for a year?Use it to your advantage and work on whatever it is you think your application was lacking. Research experience? Try to volunteer in at least one other lab. Low GRE? Study, study, study! Well.. you get the idea :)

Good luck on your top school apps!

Completely agree with this poster. Taking a year to strengthen your application may seem like a compromise now but if it turns out to be the difference between settling for a program due to convenience and going to a school you love than it may be the best thing in the long run. Take it from someone who went through this; the time between when this cycle is done in April and when you will start reapplying goes very quickly, especially if you are being proactive improving your application (working, studying for the GREs, etc.).

Third time really is the charm... after being rejected the last two cycles I applied, I just received an offer from one of my top choices. So excited!

A huge congrats to you!!  I know how you feel as this is my third attempt as well... no acceptances yet, but I have been invited for an interview  :D

To all of those applying to PhD programs, what type of degrees do you currently have/will have by May? 

B.S. in Biology with a Neuro concentration + Psychology as a secondary major (slightly different than a double major just because the two were in difference colleges at my university and I was in the Bio program first)

edg and Socially Awkward:  Thanks for your replies!  Did you reapply to any of the same schools this time as the first time around?  The first time, did you get interviews from any of your top schools?  

I don't think I can do any better on my GRE, so I probably won't retake them.  I have a lot of research experience, but I suppose I can always get more.  I have interview invites from 2 of my top schools, so if I get rejected, I feel that it's because of fit or because they accepted someone that they liked better rather than because my application is lacking.  I get super nervous in interviews!  I am not crazy or socially awkward, but I am kind of shy and not super outgoing.  I wonder if I get rejected from my top schools how likely they would be to accept me the second time around. 

Socially Awkward:  I heard that William and Mary has a good Master's program in psychology.  Some very famous and productive psychologists have come out of that program.  Hope you get into your Ph.D programs though.  Good luck!

edg and Socially Awkward:  Thanks for your replies!  Did you reapply to any of the same schools this time as the first time around?  The first time, did you get interviews from any of your top schools?  

I don't think I can do any better on my GRE, so I probably won't retake them.  I have a lot of research experience, but I suppose I can always get more.  I have interview invites from 2 of my top schools, so if I get rejected, I feel that it's because of fit or because they accepted someone that they liked better rather than because my application is lacking.  I get super nervous in interviews!  I am not crazy or socially awkward, but I am kind of shy and not super outgoing.  I wonder if I get rejected from my top schools how likely they would be to accept me the second time around. 

Socially Awkward:  I heard that William and Mary has a good Master's program in psychology.  Some very famous and productive psychologists have come out of that program.  Hope you get into your Ph.D programs though.  Good luck!

I didn't get any interview invites at my top choices the first time around and reapplied to four schools this year. As of now I'm 1/4 in interviews at the schools I have reapplied to.

BA

For those who applied in more than one round, was your decision to apply again because you didn't get accepted into a program you wanted, or because you didn't get accepted the first time? I applied to several schools that I don't really want to go to. If I don't get into my top schools, I'm not sure if I should apply again or just go to a less ideal school. What are your opinions?

Because I didn't get accepted to any schools. I had interviews, but no acceptances. As far as not getting into your top, when you make the choice whether or not to attend the "less ideal" school, I think you have to consider if you could be happy there for the next 3-6 years, if you are interested in the research, and if whatever makes it less ideal is a major issue.

I get super nervous in interviews!  I am not crazy or socially awkward, but I am kind of shy and not super outgoing.  

I try to get in the mindset of, "this is going to be a fun experience, and I get to talk to someone whom I really admire!" I find taking that approach relaxes me, and makes for an overall more enjoyable experience. Also, if it's a hard question, don't feel bad about taking your time to think. In my opinion that conveys that you are thoughtful, not lacking for information. 

You got this ;)

2nd round.  Didn't get in first round, except for a consolation Master's offer at U Chicago which I did  not accept.

I'm applying mostly the same places, but a few new ones.  Last time I applied all top-10 (Ivy League, Stanford, you get the idea) and this time I expanded though ... still top-15.  Which might be my problem this year.  Of course I don't have a whole lot of alternative options, as my research interests are pretty niche, I don't want to take the subject GRE, and I want to be competitive on the academic job market.

Edited by gellert

For people in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round of applications: did you apply again to the same places?

In my first round of applications, I received just one interview, and it was to a program that was not high on my list. I eventually received a waitlisted acceptance, but I decided to pass since it just did not feel right, even though it meant I would need to go through everything again a year later and I had no guarantee of getting another offer anywhere.

In my second round of applications, I applied to several of the same places, including some very highly ranked programs, and received multiple interviews and acceptances. Going at it one more time gave me the results that fit my goals.

If your application is improved from year to year, you will not be penalized for being a repeat applicant. Continued progress and experience can show increased commitment and focus. On the other hand, if you apply with nothing new to add, I would not expect your results to be different.

Of course I don't have a whole lot of alternative options, as my research interests are pretty niche, I don't want to take the subject GRE, and I want to be competitive on the academic job market.

Same here.  What are your research interests, if you don't mind me asking?

I know it's still early in the process, but I am beginning to consider Plan B options. With that said, can anyone recommend any MA/MS programs in either General Psych or Social Psych? 

I never considered having to apply for a masters, so I'm a little lost in terms of which programs are great and which are not. 

Hey! I did this too! there are so many funded general psych masters programs out there!!! you just have to google your head off!!! The ones I was considering are:

1. Villanova (Philly)

2. William and Mary (an hour or two away from DC)

3. Wake Forest (NC)

4. San Diego State Uni (CA)

5. Illinois State Uni

6. University of Texas - Dallas (TX)

7. University of the Pacific (CA)

8. Ball State (Mid west)

9. Boston College (Boston)

10. Bucknell University (PA)

^^ All these had general psych masters programs wehre I could either pay ZERO tuition or tuition + stipend (NUMBErs 1,2,3,9,10 i know for sure). There are a ton more actually, I just narrowed down my options to just these ones for my personal application process. I visited or extensively talked with professors from the first 5 universities and was PUMPED about going to any of them, in case I didnt get accepted into any PhD programs. What helped me find them were other forums (there are TONS out there) and that big APA book of programs (SO WORTH IT!)

PS: Since my final goal was to attend a PhD program, ALL of these are schools that have high rates of PhD acceptance from their students (half of which have 90-100%)

ask if you need any other advice!

Edited by Qwerty101

Towson U has a useful Experimental Psyc MA, the director of which is a Social guy.  They've had pretty good success getting grads into PhD programs, specifically Social/social-ish.