Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

What happens when you can't attend interview weekend?  I thought the interviews are still a part of the evaluation process.  I heard that last year one of my schools only accepted 5 out of the 12 people they invited.

I know one of the schools I was talking to said that if a person cannot attend on-campus interviews then they will do Skype interviews instead.  However, I haven't heard anything definite from the school that I cannot attend their on-campus interviews.  I think it really depends on the particular school.  

Today my undergraduate PI texted me saying that her colleague (whom I applied to work with) contacted her asking her for a quick word about me.  She wasn't one of my 3 references as I have had graduate experience since which that took precedence over my undergraduate research. 

This is what my undergraduate PI said:

Hey. Dr. XXXX is reviewing your application for XX. She asked me to comment quickly by text about you before we sit down to meet. I will forward my lightning response:

I like him. Period.

He has really blossomed.

I would work with him in a heartbeat.

Her response: pGood to know thx

I hope this means I at least get an interview. Any thoughts?

Edited by evrard

Today my undergraduate PI texted me saying that her colleague (whom I applied to work with) contacted her asking her for a quick word about me.  She wasn't one of my 3 references as I have had graduate experience since then that took precedence over my undergraduate research. 

I'd say it means you're being very seriously considered! :)

Cognitive psychology. I had a phone interview with the PI, and he invited me to the interview weekend. Then the department head sent me an official invite.

That's awesome! Congratulations. I just got an interview with their Behavioral Neuroscience department day before yesterday! Are you coming to the interview weekend?

Today my undergraduate PI texted me saying that her colleague (whom I applied to work with) contacted her asking her for a quick word about me.  She wasn't one of my 3 references as I have had graduate experience since which that took precedence over my undergraduate research. 

Was this for a social program or clinical?

One of my POIs emailed me back in december to invite me to interview, and she said she will get back to me in january to let me know how much the school could give me to reimburse my travel expenses (I'm an international student). The interview weekend is set on the last week of january, but she hasn't given me any update. Should I just wait for her to contact me or should I email her to ask about it?

People with Stanford interview invites: which program did you apply to?  Are all invitations extended? (Can't find contact number on website to call and ask.) Thanks!

I'm not sure if all invitations have been extended, but I applied to the developmental area.

Does anyone have any info on social psychology for CU-Boulder? I saw a mass rejection of clinical yesterday, a couple interview invites for unspecified "Psychology" in December, and one invite for Social Psych yesterday.

I'd love info if anyone is privy to it. Reply or message me.

Thanks!

(Is PhD-obsessing a disorder in the DSM yet...?)

Edited by shana.teacher

Hi everyone, I had a question about something I'm not sure how to interpret.

My POI at a program I applied for emailed me today asking me if I could ask one of my letter of rec writers to personally email my POI their letter of rec for me. That's pretty much all my POI said, nothing else.

For one, my POI knew the name of the letter writer they asked for. If it's of any significance, the letter writer is my thesis advisor. In addition, the letter writer used to be a professor at the school in question (before coming to where I am now), at which my POI is a professor at. So knowing this, is there any reason why my POI would ask me to ask my thesis advisor to email them the letter? I would assume that those reviewing my application can also see the email addresses I included of the letter writers. My POI didn't mention anything about being unable to view the letter, nor did my POI ask for any of the letter writers to email their letters. Any guesses about this?

One of my POIs emailed me back in december to invite me to interview, and she said she will get back to me in january to let me know how much the school could give me to reimburse my travel expenses (I'm an international student). The interview weekend is set on the last week of january, but she hasn't given me any update. Should I just wait for her to contact me or should I email her to ask about it?

I would definitely send her a polite email to make sure you didn't fall through the cracks.

Hi everyone, I had a question about something I'm not sure how to interpret.

My POI at a program I applied for emailed me today asking me if I could ask one of my letter of rec writers to personally email my POI their letter of rec for me. That's pretty much all my POI said, nothing else.

For one, my POI knew the name of the letter writer they asked for. If it's of any significance, the letter writer is my thesis advisor. In addition, the letter writer used to be a professor at the school in question (before coming to where I am now), at which my POI is a professor at. So knowing this, is there any reason why my POI would ask me to ask my thesis advisor to email them the letter? I would assume that those reviewing my application can also see the email addresses I included of the letter writers. My POI didn't mention anything about being unable to view the letter, nor did my POI ask for any of the letter writers to email their letters. Any guesses about this?

If I were in your circumstances, I think my gut, email response would be" Hi _____________, Yes, of course! Did the original letter not go through properly?"

Although, I think I would only send that kind of email if you knew for sure that all of your letters were originally submitted on time. But yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask. No one on this forum can offer a better explanation than the prof who emailed you. :)

anyone also waiting for UC Berkeley today??  :wacko:

i'm in the same boat, byekitty!

though, from the looks of it (SDN and results search), the invites seem to have gone out already by phone... not sure if this is really the case, but it does beg some questions.

also, the berkeley's prospective applicants page has changed overnight to include this statement: "Applicants not invited for an interview are unlikely to be offered admission, but the admissions process is not over until offers are made in March."

hmm.

I'm hoping those were just for clinical psych, I don't see anywhere that anyone in other areas have heard back yet.. garhh the agony

Me too. Sad news on sparrowbirdie's response though! Hope they aren't done!

i'm in the same boat, byekitty!

though, from the looks of it (SDN and results search), the invites seem to have gone out already by phone... not sure if this is really the case, but it does beg some questions.

also, the berkeley's prospective applicants page has changed overnight to include this statement: "Applicants not invited for an interview are unlikely to be offered admission, but the admissions process is not over until offers are made in March."

hmm.

I'm waiting for Berkeley, too! I hate my decision every time I go look at the Results Search. My heart drops just a little bit more...

Let's hope that the chances are slim that all three of us who have posted about Berkeley wouldn't get an interview. Glad to know I'm not alone in waiting!

Some of these schools seem to be taking their time! EEK! My sanity can't take much more of this! ;)