Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Well it's beginning to be the most wonderful time of the year again!

Welcome new users and welcome back those who weren't successful on their application last season.

What has everyone been up to/how are you preparing differently for the 2014 season?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I applied in the winter session of Concordia University, graduate studies in Industrial Engineering, MASc program. I have been waiting painstakingly and getting anxious day by day but no feedback is coming despite for various follow ups. Any idea the time frame by which I will be able to know.

Secondly , I have applied to MASc program. So if I do not get admission in MASc program, will I be considered for MEng program or not... 

I'll be applying this year for the first time! I've been living in Japan for the past two+ years, so I'm kind of concerned as to how that will look on my applications. I'll be applying to UofT, Laurier, and Windsor.

Good luck to everyone!

Hello, totally new and this is my first post!

I've read the entire MSW 2012/2013 threads and here I am, contemplating what schools I'm going to apply to. I've applied twice in the past unsuccessfully, and I've been working as a Social Worker for 3 years (in January). I'm going to apply for distance/weekend advanced programs and right now just contemplating which schools as I intend to continue working full time.

I'm for sure going to apply for uWindsor MSW for working professionals program and contemplating Dalhousie's online program and *maybe* Renison.

Anyone planning on applying to any of these programs?

I will be applying this year as well to Advanced stream MSW. I am from Southern Ontario and currently completing my BSW at Lakehead University. 

I'm putting off the Masters and I'm taking a chance and only applying to the HBSW at Lakehead. 

How do you like it so far? I'm in another post-grad program now and it's so much work so I'm starting to stress out about having a great application because i haven't really thought about it. Did you find the application process hard? 

Hi Jaylynn,

I'm just curious, last application cycle you were waitlisted at U of T which suggests that you are a good candidate and I'm wondering why you would put off your MSW and go the BSW route?  Please don't misunderstand me, I think it is awesome that you are just as passionate about this field as you were last year. I'm just wondering why you wouldn't try applying one more time in conjunction with your BSW application? Do you feel that you need a bit more time to buff up your experience?

I'm putting off the Masters and I'm taking a chance and only applying to the HBSW at Lakehead. 

How do you like it so far? I'm in another post-grad program now and it's so much work so I'm starting to stress out about having a great application because i haven't really thought about it. Did you find the application process hard? 

I was thinking the same thing, actually. You probably would only need to make some minor changes to your last application to make it up-to-date.

I'm sure you've got some strong and compelling reasons for your decision. But if time is a big factor, I'd consider reusing most of your old application and trying again, if you're still interested in investing another two years towards furthering your education.

Hi Jaylynn,

I'm just curious, last application cycle you were waitlisted at U of T which suggests that you are a good candidate and I'm wondering why you would put off your MSW and go the BSW route?  Please don't misunderstand me, I think it is awesome that you are just as passionate about this field as you were last year. I'm just wondering why you wouldn't try applying one more time in conjunction with your BSW application? Do you feel that you need a bit more time to buff up your experience?

Hi Jaylynn,

I was thinking the same thing, actually. You probably would only need to make some minor changes to your last application to make it up-to-date.

I'm sure you've got some strong and compelling reasons for your decision. But if time is a big factor, I'd consider reusing most of your old application and trying again, if you're still interested in investing another two years towards furthering your education.

Hi MSW13 and Jenste

You both raised good points and I seriously considered it. I am even taking a graduate certificate in a related field and have more hours clocked in for work experience but I'm so busy right now I can't even imagine adding the stress of applying to a Masters again. The Lakehead application is due in January so I get a good couple of weeks to actually work on it. The program I'm in now is also taught by a lot of social workers and it's a smaller program so I think I can get better references after I graduate. Also, my thinking is that it'll still be another 2 years of school and it'll open up my options to apply to more schools that offer the 1 yr MSW. 

Edited by jaylynn

This is true. The Lakehead application isn't due until January. Their application is actually quite different. You won't be able to work on it over the holidays in December, though. At the end of January, they will open up your account for 4 days and you will have a time limit to answer all of the questions. I think they give you 4 hours. I found that my applications for other MSW programs came in handy for the Lakehead test as I laid out all my personal statements in front of me and just retyped some of the answers I had already written for other universities.

Your plan to do an HBSW followed by a 1 year MSW makes sense. You could definitely go that route and still get an MSW. Have to considered the average number of years of work experience applicants have for those programs? I don't know the answer to that question. But it's quite conceivable that applicants with a BSW have at least 2-3 years of direct social work experience before applying, so you may need to take an academic break in between those programs. 

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention (in case you'd be interested) that at Laurier the application is due in mid-January. During semesters 2, 3 and 4 you only need to attend school once a week and you could get an internship in another geographic location during those semesters. In semesters 1 and 5 you are only in school 3 days a week and in my cohort there is a small group of students from Toronto that carpools together those days.

Laurier offers a fulltime option and also a part time option that takes 4 years to complete and the application deadline for part time studies is sometime around May of next year (if I am not mistaken).

Anyhow, you know your situation best so I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you. You are indeed correct that graduate level programs are quite difficult and hectic - more so than undergraduate level programs. So I completely understand the feeling of not having an extra day or two to work on any applications. Nice to hear that you are have found yourself a great program that you really enjoy and get a lot of benefit from.

Edited by jenste

I think Jenste gave a great, knowledgeable response and I think you have made some really great choices.  I would only add that the application to U of T is not nearly as stressful the second time around since it is the same questions and you can pretty much just tweak your previous responses.  Because you were waitlisted and because you've added some tangible depth to your experience, I think it would be worth taking another look at.   ....but that's just me, lol! Clearly you need to do what makes sense to you and you've obviously really thought this through.  Best of luck! 

Hi everyone,

I am applying to MSW this year as well! I am just wondering has any of you applied to the scholarship before applying to the program? I think in the online application they asked you what kind of scholarship have you applied.

Thank you!!!

I would do it. You never know, you might get it. You don't have anything to lose, only a bit of your time. You will get a ton of money if they give you a scholarship.

Has anyone applied for the OGS?  I know it states you need a -A average, but that is about all it discusses.  I have the average, but don't know if it is worth my time to apply.

Thanks

Edited by jenste

Does anyone know what the reference form looks like for MSW? And what kind of referees do you ask? I have 1 from my professor, 1 from my lab supervisor, but not sure who to ask for the third one. 

I am thinking about ask my supervisor at a community center, but I just started volunteering there is September... and I am sure she does not know my academic ability because what we do is a after school program for new comers.

Any advice is helpful!!

Thank you!

It depends on the school you're applying to, if you check out the MSW websites some schools may post the reference form templates. They will also indicate what kind of referees you should have.

Good luck!

It depends on the school you're applying to, if you check out the MSW websites some schools may post the reference form templates. They will also indicate what kind of referees you should have.

Good luck!

Thank you Mirah56,

I just found out that each school's reference form is quit different. Will this be a big burden to the referees? 

It shouldn't be a huge burden if you give them enough time to complete references, given the demands of each reference form (which generally includes rating you AND writing a separate letter, mostly) and when they are due. Also keep in mind they are probably writing references for many others as well!

Thank you Mirah56,

I just found out that each school's reference form is quit different. Will this be a big burden to the referees? 

Yes. I remember one of my referees telling me that the schools I applied to have very different templates. The schools usually send the referees a link where they have to answer questions about you and your qualifications relevant to the program. So make sure you have set up an appointment with all your potential referees ahead of time so that you can sit down and talk to them about your CV and your experiences and why you deserve a reference letter. Also ask them politely but straight-forward if they can write you an "excellent" recommendation letter. Good just shouldn't cut it. Make sure you tell them you need that excellent recommendation letter. Most of them would say yes, especially if you have build a certain reputation with the professor in class and outside of class. 

Hope this helps.

I think that you should take your chances at applying to U of T again. I know a couple of people who got into the program after 3 application cycles. So keep trying! 

The admissions, i think at U of T really depends on the calibre of students applying during the year. The higher your grades are and the more experience you have of course will make your applications more successful. The students that get in have varying experiences but everyone have experiences working with different populations in various setting. There's a good mix between new university graduates and more experienced professionals, some have a masters degree, but all are quite accomplished in some way (which people would try to be modest about). You have the experience and the education to have been placed in the waiting list. Being in it means that they saw something in you and you are qualified! There is a higher chance to get into U of T as there are almost 150 spots to fill in. 

I do think that personal statements play a huge factor on the admission decision. Make sure that the personal statements are verifiable and coincide with the CV and other documents you will be providing (i.e. reference letters). The main problem is the disconnect between the documents. In the personal statement your educational, professional, personal background must tell a story. A story that provide an idea of how you understand social work and its importance to you. I really think a critical reflection approach helps in this regard, especially in making sense of the questions. 

Hope this helps, if you ever consider applying again.

Best of luck to you and other who will be applying this year.

May the odds be in your favour!

Hi There! Sorry I've been so busy with the school the last few weeks I haven't had a chance to get on until now. Just as the rest on here have suggested, I would say that you should not only apply to the HBSW but also re-apply to Toronto. I was waitlisted as well last year, but thankfully got in to the HBSW, so I am re-applying to Toronto again. 

In all honesty, the application process for the HBSW is similar to the MSW applications, and as Jenste said, they open up your account for a few days to answer some essay style questions. My saved applications from the masters really helped me in this aspect.

As well, the HBSW only takes 60 at Orillia and 25 at Thunder Bay. I was accepted into Thunder Bay. Considering they get roughly 500 applicants per year, your chances of getting in are similar to that of the masters. As well, about 3/4 of the people in my program are from Thunder Bay, so I think they really tend to accept a lot of people from Thunder Bay over others. 

Has anyone applied for the OGS?  I know it states you need a -A average, but that is about all it discusses.  I have the average, but don't know if it is worth my time to apply.

Thanks

In response to this, I spoke with many supervisors already and they strongly suggested that unless you have high A or a 90 to not even bother applying, as the bare minimum average does not guarantee you will get one. However, if you have the time to dedicate to the application process,  I would suggest doing it, as it is free money. Also, something to consider is if you are doing the 2 year masters, you can also apply next year, or during the first term of your masters, if you get in and you have a chance of receiving funding for the remainder of that year. That way, you won't be as stressed due to applicaitions, and your average may improve. They also calculate your average based on the last ten courses on your transcript at the time of application, so if you finish this term and have a great average, applying next year half way through your program gives you a better chance. Hope that helps. 

what is the average number of school that everybody applied? I am thinking about 7 ( u of t, york, Laurie, Carleton, Windsor, Mcgill, Victoria) but then I realized each school has a very different requirement for the personal statement so I decrease the number to 5 (u of t, york, Laurie, Carleton, Windsor). Has any of you have some command on each school? 

Thank you!