Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Awesome!! We're all rooting for you! :)

Thank you so much MSW13, your positive attitude last year was definitely inspiring!

That's great to hear. Best of luck!!

Thank you! 

Hi There! Sorry I've been so busy with the school the last few weeks I haven't had a chance to get on until now. Just as the rest on here have suggested, I would say that you should not only apply to the HBSW but also re-apply to Toronto. I was waitlisted as well last year, but thankfully got in to the HBSW, so I am re-applying to Toronto again. 

In all honesty, the application process for the HBSW is similar to the MSW applications, and as Jenste said, they open up your account for a few days to answer some essay style questions. My saved applications from the masters really helped me in this aspect.

As well, the HBSW only takes 60 at Orillia and 25 at Thunder Bay. I was accepted into Thunder Bay. Considering they get roughly 500 applicants per year, your chances of getting in are similar to that of the masters. As well, about 3/4 of the people in my program are from Thunder Bay, so I think they really tend to accept a lot of people from Thunder Bay over others. 

Not a problem. I actually decided to apply to both so I'm hoping for the best. My boyfriend lives in Barrie and I live in Toronto so if I do get into one of my options I will be extremely happy either way. 

I only applied to Orillia as Thunder Bay is too far from home for me at this time. Luckily they weigh grades higher than anything else, I'm hoping that'll put me at an advantage. I also have all of last year's application's saved so I'm hoping those will benefit me as well. 

Thank you so much for the info!

So nice to see a new thread :)  Good luck to you AccioMSW!  Do you feel comfortable with your application this year?

I am more confident! I've been volunteering at the Alzheimer's society and got a promotion at the retirement home that I work at to Activity Director. The only thing is that my contract goes until next November. However, I am able to cancel early if I give four weeks notice. So I think I'll apply anyway and see what happens. Great full time experience to have though!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone applying to Waterloo for the 1 Year MSW? It's fairly new, so I'm not sure how credible it is and how others recognize it. I know it's in its pre-accrediation stage and will be accredited by late 2014...It's online which is nice though because you can work/live wherever you'd like and complete coursework online. 

Anyone applying to Waterloo for the 1 Year MSW? It's fairly new, so I'm not sure how credible it is and how others recognize it. I know it's in its pre-accrediation stage and will be accredited by late 2014...It's online which is nice though because you can work/live wherever you'd like and complete coursework online.

I was thinking of applying but now I'm not, and I think the deadline is this week no?

Everyone here has convinced me! I'm spontaneously reapplying to the MSW program at UofT haha 

All the best to you, jaylynn!  UofT also recycles your references so that's one less thing to worry about! :)

As a Lakehead grad I would recommend their program as well.  I vaguely remember you asking about it last year (I could totally be wrong) but if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

All the best to you, jaylynn!  UofT also recycles your references so that's one less thing to worry about! :)

As a Lakehead grad I would recommend their program as well.  I vaguely remember you asking about it last year (I could totally be wrong) but if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Thanks Kreamy! I did not know that about UofT :| I found 2 new references, but one's the same as last year and she's really busy so i'm going to look into that

I believe I did! I sent in my paid application but only applied to Orillia. I'm just waiting for my two references. Hopefully this time around I have a better chance

Hey guys! Round 2 for me this year too. I decided that this year I would try to be more active in this forum as well. Last year I followed along and only posted once or twice, and quite late! Anyways, I applied last year to U of T, Laurier, and California State (Long Beach). I was rejected from Laurier and wait listed at both U of T and Cal State! While this was an accomplishment, it still left me feeling pretty deflated when I didn't get in.

BUT, here I go again! This year I am applying to U of T, Cal State, and The HBSW program at Lakehead (Orillia Campus).

I am wondering for those who have reapplied in the past (or who plan to do so this year), what do you do with your personal statement? For U of T for example, the 5 questions remained the same for the personal statement - while the first 2 questions may need some tweaking based on experience since the last application, the other answers may remain the same. Is it a negative thing to leave the personal statement the same? Or does it show consistency in your work? I can't decide what's the best thing to do, so I wanted to reach out and see what you  guys think!

Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys! Round 2 for me this year too. I decided that this year I would try to be more active in this forum as well. Last year I followed along and only posted once or twice, and quite late! Anyways, I applied last year to U of T, Laurier, and California State (Long Beach). I was rejected from Laurier and wait listed at both U of T and Cal State! While this was an accomplishment, it still left me feeling pretty deflated when I didn't get in.

BUT, here I go again! This year I am applying to U of T, Cal State, and The HBSW program at Lakehead (Orillia Campus).

I am wondering for those who have reapplied in the past (or who plan to do so this year), what do you do with your personal statement? For U of T for example, the 5 questions remained the same for the personal statement - while the first 2 questions may need some tweaking based on experience since the last application, the other answers may remain the same. Is it a negative thing to leave the personal statement the same? Or does it show consistency in your work? I can't decide what's the best thing to do, so I wanted to reach out and see what you  guys think!

I was waitlisted to the 2-year program at U of T when I first applied, and got in this year (for 2013). I changed my written statement significantly from the previous year. As far as I know they don't look at your previous application materials, so they would have no way of knowing your statement is similar or identical. I ended up changing mine because I felt it wasn't up to snuff. If you really like something your wrote, I wouldn't change it just for the sake of changing it. But I would suggest looking at your statement critically, which may or may not result in an overhaul of some areas. It will likely result in you making at least some slight changes, though (grammar, wording, etc.).

Edited by Porphyry

I agree with Prophyry's comment. I'd also like to add that when I applied to U of T for the second time, I only made minor changes to my personal statement. For instance, I added a line or two about what I did to strengthen my application and I updated some points (regarding a social issue) that were no longer relevant.   

I agree with Prophyry's comment. I'd also like to add that when I applied to U of T for the second time, I only made minor changes to my personal statement. For instance, I added a line or two about what I did to strengthen my application and I updated some points (regarding a social issue) that were no longer relevant.   

I was waitlisted to the 2-year program at U of T when I first applied, and got in this year (for 2013). I changed my written statement significantly from the previous year. As far as I know they don't look at your previous application materials, so they would have no way of knowing your statement is similar or identical. I ended up changing mine because I felt it wasn't up to snuff. If you really like something your wrote, I wouldn't change it just for the sake of changing it. But I would suggest looking at your statement critically, which may or may not result in an overhaul of some areas. It will likely result in you making at least some slight changes, though (grammar, wording, etc.).

Thank you for your comments! It is definitly helpful to hear from others in similar situations. You give me hope that round 2 will be a success :) I have done some minor tweaking with wording and grammar and added in a few lines about my past year's experience. I really do feel like it was a strong personal statement, so I don't want to change it for the wrong reasons

Hi everyone, 

I'm a new applicant for 2014 but I've spent a couple years trying to tailor my CV and improve my grades to give it the best stab I can. 

I read the 2013 thread in its entirety before starting my applications which left me feeling both happy that there's such a supportive community here (yay future social workers) and also really anxious that I won't make the cut for the programs I'm applying too. There were so many applicants that talked about their high GPAs and their wealth of experience that only got waitlisted (!) 

Nevertheless I'm making my applications this year. I'm not getting any younger and I feel prepared to enter. Because many of the programs in Ontario seem to require 2 years full time work/volunteer work in the field I'm only applying to UofT's MSW... Talking to Laurier, for instance, about my chances didn't give me much hope. I'm also applying to a slough of post degree BSW programs, so I'm hoping that I am going to be able to make a move towards my profession of choice this year!! The MSW can wait if necessary :)

I also wanted to ask you guys, especially folks not coming from BSWs, their feelings on the soft requirement for so much full time experience in the field. I've personally found it challenging in a few ways. I live in Toronto, a city that graduates many social workers, so finding paid work in the field has proven impossible-ish. I've been volunteering a few places I really love for years now, however that time definitely doesn't amount to 2 years of full time work... I'm left questioning how other applicants are meeting these standards. It almost feels that one wouldn't be able to work a job (to pay the bills) and volunteer enough to get those hours easily. It makes me worry about replicating a traditionally class bounded profession by seemingly requiring a whole heck of a lot of unpaid labour which not everyone can afford to give. 

Blah blah blah. Thanks for letting me vent that thought/worry (!)

Anyway, thanks for all your informative and supportive posts. Thanks for letting me share my anxieties. And good luck to all my fellow applicants this year! 

I understand the anxiety. When I was applying I felt like there was so much to think of and juggle in my application; it sometimes felt like a part time job getting all my materials ready. I found it really helpful remind myself that although MSW programs are competitive, relative to other programs they admit a lot of students. Many grad. programs admit something like 5-10 students a year, but your chances for U of T are quite high. Even if you don't get in the first year, if you keep improving (e.g. gaining more experience) and have a strong application it's likely you'll eventually get in, even if it's the second or third time. I found it comforting to remind myself of that. 

Regarding experience, I do not have a BSW and my transition to social work has been quite recent. I did not have any direct paid experience working in a social work setting prior to applying. The experience I did have was volunteer (with some helping-related part time jobs during my undergrad.). And the volunteer hours I accrued prior to applying the second time only amounted to about 7 hours a week (though it seemed like much more when I was juggling them with work, etc.). So I wouldn't worry, at least for U of T, about having paid work experience in the field. They judge your application holistically, so even if you do feel there's a gap in your experience, this will be weighed against other considerations.

I hope that helps somewhat. I'm not sure about the requirements for other programs, but at least for U of T paid experience is an asset, not a requirement.

Hi everyone, 

I'm a new applicant for 2014 but I've spent a couple years trying to tailor my CV and improve my grades to give it the best stab I can. 

I read the 2013 thread in its entirety before starting my applications which left me feeling both happy that there's such a supportive community here (yay future social workers) and also really anxious that I won't make the cut for the programs I'm applying too. There were so many applicants that talked about their high GPAs and their wealth of experience that only got waitlisted (!) 

Nevertheless I'm making my applications this year. I'm not getting any younger and I feel prepared to enter. Because many of the programs in Ontario seem to require 2 years full time work/volunteer work in the field I'm only applying to UofT's MSW... Talking to Laurier, for instance, about my chances didn't give me much hope. I'm also applying to a slough of post degree BSW programs, so I'm hoping that I am going to be able to make a move towards my profession of choice this year!! The MSW can wait if necessary :)

I also wanted to ask you guys, especially folks not coming from BSWs, their feelings on the soft requirement for so much full time experience in the field. I've personally found it challenging in a few ways. I live in Toronto, a city that graduates many social workers, so finding paid work in the field has proven impossible-ish. I've been volunteering a few places I really love for years now, however that time definitely doesn't amount to 2 years of full time work... I'm left questioning how other applicants are meeting these standards. It almost feels that one wouldn't be able to work a job (to pay the bills) and volunteer enough to get those hours easily. It makes me worry about replicating a traditionally class bounded profession by seemingly requiring a whole heck of a lot of unpaid labour which not everyone can afford to give. 

Anyway, thanks for all your informative and supportive posts. Thanks for letting me share my anxieties. And good luck to all my fellow applicants this year! 

Edited by Porphyry

Hi everyone, 

Hey poppy_msw,

I do not have a BSW either, I have a BA. Last year was my first year applying for MSW and out of 3 schools, I was waitlisted at 2. You are absolutely correct that it feels impossible to find paid work in the field. In fact, I have not been able to do so myself either. Instead, for the past 2.5 years since finishing my undegrad, I have had 3 different volunteer positions. Even those, however, do not amount to "full time" hours. But do take comfort in knowing that in my experience, paid experience is not required. It sounds like you have been working on your CV as well, so that will obviously help!

One thing that I will say that I learned from reading this message forum last application season was this: It is SO hard (too hard, even) to compare yourself to other applicants. There is simply too many factors invovled. For example, I was also extremely anxious upon reading other people's qualifications - high GPAs, paid work experience, etc etc. Based on those things alone, I did not think I had a chance - my GPA is decent, but not exceptionally high, and as previously mentioned - only volunteer experience. Needless to say, I was surprised when I got on the wait list. This showed me that many other things are invovled - what type of experience you have (not paid vs. volunteer, but the acutal position perhaps), the personal statement, reference letters, etc. These things all matter too. To sum it up, I learned an invaluable lesson last year: Be confident in yourself, in your application, and in your dream! GOOD LUCK :)

Hi all, I just stayed up much too late reading the thread from last year and thought I would join :)  My educational history is a 4yr BA in Social Development Studies with a Minor in Women's Studies from UW and I am currently doing my BSW at UW (awesome program and I highly recommend applying if you are applying for 2 yr Masters just in case).  I was going back on forth on what I wanted to do and now I am trying to do applications really, really quickly because everything is due!  I am applying to Laurier and UofT in the Social Justice and Diversity specialization.  Not really sure about my chances because I don't have a lot of experience.  I had kids young and then went back to school so I've been spending my time mothering insteading of working!  I have been volunteering for 5 years on a rape crisis line but that is only 8 hours a week so it doesn't amount to many hours.  I am currently doing my practicum in a similar agency (different city).  Gradeswise it depends on whether they do last-year or cumulative average.  I messed up a bit with my earlier courses so my cumulative average on my BA is only 81%.  But my last year average is 88%.  I don't know if they factor the BSW grades in but I am almost done my first semester and am expecing to have around an 86-88% average for this semester.  Anyway, I look forward to getting to know (and go crazy with) all of you!

I am currently at UW in the BSW program and the current MSW class seems to think it is a good program but there are concerns about the fact that it is not yet accredited.  The other thing to consider is that it is primarly health-focused - for social workers who want to work in various health fields.  I personally am not applying to it for those reasons.  UW itself is a great school though, I did my undergrad there and am now doing my 1yr BSW there.

I am currently at UW in the BSW program and the current MSW class seems to think it is a good program but there are concerns about the fact that it is not yet accredited.  The other thing to consider is that it is primarly health-focused - for social workers who want to work in various health fields.  I personally am not applying to it for those reasons.  UW itself is a great school though, I did my undergrad there and am now doing my 1yr BSW there.

Thanks for the input. That's my concern too, I suppose I will wait and see if I get in anywhere else and then I will decide. I am hoping to practice social work within the health-based field so it's really exciting, at least for me, for Waterloo to be offering this focus. 

I have been following for over a year now and here is my big question to the community.  I am applying to the 2 year MSW at U of T (waitlisted last year) and was planning on WLU, but I have only 500 hours of experience and apparently the WLU average is 3500 hours.  I called and they were very doubtfull of my aceptance, but nicely said I could still apply.  Does anyone know of a situation where a person had such few hours?  I've also heard that for York the average required is an A, I have an A- and again don't have a ton of volunteer experience. If I have no chance at the other schools I'd rather my references focus on the one applicaton.

I'm becoming very nervous having all my eggs in the U of T basket, though that is my first choice. 

I have been following for over a year now and here is my big question to the community.  I am applying to the 2 year MSW at U of T (waitlisted last year) and was planning on WLU, but I have only 500 hours of experience and apparently the WLU average is 3500 hours.  I called and they were very doubtfull of my aceptance, but nicely said I could still apply.  Does anyone know of a situation where a person had such few hours?  I've also heard that for York the average required is an A, I have an A- and again don't have a ton of volunteer experience. If I have no chance at the other schools I'd rather my references focus on the one applicaton.

I'm becoming very nervous having all my eggs in the U of T basket, though that is my first choice. 

I applied for the 2 year program at Laurier last year.  My grade average was in the high 80s but I only had approximately 2000 hours of experience.  I did not get in and they said the average hours to be accepted is 3-5 years with each year equaling 1750 hours - so 5250 to 8750 hours.  Last year there were 600 applicants for 90 spots.  I am not trying to be discouraging but Laurier REALLY focuses on the experience and number of hours.  I am applying there again this year for the advanced standing (after I didn't get in last year I entered UW's 1 yr BSW program) but I still only have less than 5000 hours.  I figure I'll at least try, but I'm also applying to UofT and Western's advanced standing program.

I applied for the 2 year program at Laurier last year.  My grade average was in the high 80s but I only had approximately 2000 hours of experience.  I did not get in and they said the average hours to be accepted is 3-5 years with each year equaling 1750 hours - so 5250 to 8750 hours.  Last year there were 600 applicants for 90 spots.  I am not trying to be discouraging but Laurier REALLY focuses on the experience and number of hours.  I am applying there again this year for the advanced standing (after I didn't get in last year I entered UW's 1 yr BSW program) but I still only have less than 5000 hours.  I figure I'll at least try, but I'm also applying to UofT and Western's advanced standing program.

Also, have you considered Western?  They might be a possibility as well, and there website doesn't mention having to have a certain amount of hours. 

Thanks for the input. That's my concern too, I suppose I will wait and see if I get in anywhere else and then I will decide. I am hoping to practice social work within the health-based field so it's really exciting, at least for me, for Waterloo to be offering this focus. 

A number of people from my current program are applying to the UW MSW and it is expected they will be accredited soon.  Being that it is UW, which has a really good reputation, I think it is not too concerning.  They held a meeting with people from our program to discuss concerns about the MSW and the general consensus among most people was to take the chance on it. If that is the area you are hoping to work in it could be a good fit for you.

A number of people from my current program are applying to the UW MSW and it is expected they will be accredited soon.  Being that it is UW, which has a really good reputation, I think it is not too concerning.  They held a meeting with people from our program to discuss concerns about the MSW and the general consensus among most people was to take the chance on it. If that is the area you are hoping to work in it could be a good fit for you.

Thanks for the input! I also like the idea that it is offered online! Do you happen to know how many applicants there were for the MSW program at Waterloo for 2013 and how many of those were accepted?