Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

For those who are applying to UofT Advanced Standing what specialization did you choose?  So far I know only one other person (someone from my current BSW program) who is applying to the same one as me - Social Justice and Diversity.  Seems most people do either Child and Families or Health and Mental Health.

I chose mental health and health with the mental health focus. 

Hey everyone

I am also new to the forums this year....I've been following this year’s discussion for a while now (as well as previous years) and finally decided to create an account. I have applied to York,  UofT and Ryerson MSW (advance standing) programs for fall 2014 amission. It's going to be a long wait but I'm hoping for the best as I'm sure the rest of you are.

In 2011 I applied to the MSW programs at York and Laurier and as a plan B –the post-degree BSW at York.I wasn't accepted into either MSW program, but got into the post-degree BSW at YorkU, which I am currently finishing up. While I wanted to go directly into the MSW,  completing the BSW has definitely given me a chance to boost my GPA and gain experience through a placement + during the two years I have also had the time to volunteer and gain employment in the field.

Anyhow, I feel much better about the application process this time around and relieved that all the applications have been submitted... gathering all the materials felt like a course in itself!

Edited by misskc

For those who are applying to UofT Advanced Standing what specialization did you choose?  So far I know only one other person (someone from my current BSW program) who is applying to the same one as me - Social Justice and Diversity.  Seems most people do either Child and Families or Health and Mental Health.

I have also chosen the health and mental health stream (with a focus on mental health)

I applied for health and mental health as well, but I chose both as a focus

How did you like the Social Service Worker program?? I'm thinking of doing that if I don't get into the MSW

Honestly, great experience. The focus is on developing skills and it gave me a good idea of the different types of social work (community development, counselling, family social work, mental health, etc). It helped me narrow down my interests too. I also had an awesome placement working with adult offenders and young offenders doing restorative justice. SSW is widely recognized credential and I am registered with the OCSWSSW.

Coming from University, it was easy work (short papers/assignments)...but more personally challenging because you're practicing and developing skill sets.

Hope that helps.

Hey Everyone, 

I have been reading these topics for awhile and was hoping some of you could give me some information. Has anyone on here taken the HBSW at Lakehead? I was just wondering how many they accept what competition would be like, how I should cater my personal Statement etc.

I have an undergrad in criminology A- Average, my 2 references should be good, (one wrote a letter and another filled out the sheet). I have volunteered in the past with at risk youth, developmentally challenged youth, and for a few years doing emergency first aid (not sure if that counts) I have recently begun working part time in domestic abuse groups and am close to becoming a child and youth worker.

Is there something I should play up more in my Resume? Should I add a cover letter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad this forum is back. I wish I had been following it months ago!

I'm currently doing my bsw through Lakehead's post grad program. I applied for an MSW at U of T (social justice and diversity stream) and Ryerson.

I cannot tell you how stressful these last few weeks have been. Applying to grad school is like an extra course in itself.

Everyone here seems like they have a lot to offer an msw program. Good luck! Let's hope we hear back ASAP!

Hey! I think you have a great shot at getting in. I had about the same average when I applied to Lakehead and some good volunteer experience, but definitely not as good as yours. The nice thing about Lakehead is that you can't over think it too much because the bulk of the application process is the online "test" which they give you three hours for. Last year almost 500 people applied and they accepted 60 to the Orillia campus and 20 to Thunder Bay.

People who were accepted at Orillia had such a wide range of experience. I think you should play up your social service experience but also demonstrate how you're well rounded in many areas.

I hope that helped. Let me know if I can answer any more questions! :)

Hey Everyone,

I have been reading these topics for awhile and was hoping some of you could give me some information. Has anyone on here taken the HBSW at Lakehead? I was just wondering how many they accept what competition would be like, how I should cater my personal Statement etc.

I have an undergrad in criminology A- Average, my 2 references should be good, (one wrote a letter and another filled out the sheet). I have volunteered in the past with at risk youth, developmentally challenged youth, and for a few years doing emergency first aid (not sure if that counts) I have recently begun working part time in domestic abuse groups and am close to becoming a child and youth worker.

Is there something I should play up more in my Resume? Should I add a cover letter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

People applying to Laurier:

What are you putting you application in?! It says no page protectors or duo tangs or binders. I feel like just putting it all in an envelope doesn't look very professional though, any thoughts??

People applying to Laurier:

What are you putting you application in?! It says no page protectors or duo tangs or binders. I feel like just putting it all in an envelope doesn't look very professional though, any thoughts??

I applied for the advanced standing so it was due December 1 and yes, they do just want you to put it in a big brown envelope.  If you are handing it in they have a drop box you just toss it in.  I know what you mean, it seems better to put it in something, but that isn't what they want.

I applied for the advanced standing so it was due December 1 and yes, they do just want you to put it in a big brown envelope.  If you are handing it in they have a drop box you just toss it in.  I know what you mean, it seems better to put it in something, but that isn't what they want.

Okay thanks!

Today I just keep thinking it's officially 2014.  This is the year that will make or break my chances at a Master's degree.  I can't wait until results start coming in.  Mid-late February for Laurier, mid-March for U of T, mid-April for Western.  For better or worse in the next 4 months I'll know my future.  No pressure though! lol 

Today I just keep thinking it's officially 2014.  This is the year that will make or break my chances at a Master's degree.  I can't wait until results start coming in.  Mid-late February for Laurier, mid-March for U of T, mid-April for Western.  For better or worse in the next 4 months I'll know my future.  No pressure though! lol 

Smpalesh 

I have been thinking the exact same thing, mid-March feels so far away!!! I'm also incredibly anxious about what the future holds. Based on the threads from the past though, the time will pass quickly. 

I've already started working on my plan B, in the even that I am not successful with my U of T application. 

Edited by SocialShawn

Hey everyone!

I'm also new to this forum. I have already submitted my application for the 2 year MSW program at U of T, and I'm now working on my Laurier application.

Does anyone else find the website very disorganized with minimal information? (especially for the resume section)

Best of luck to everyone! I'm definitely feeling the stress now!

Hey everyone!

I'm also new to this forum. I have already submitted my application for the 2 year MSW program at U of T, and I'm now working on my Laurier application.

Does anyone else find the website very disorganized with minimal information? (especially for the resume section)

I found the Laurier application pretty straightforward (mine was due December 1).  I found the FAQ page most helpful - http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=30&p=7570

I don't really have a plan B.  I've come to the end of what I can do with my education so my plan would be to attempt to get a job or volunteer to gain more experience and reapply.  The only thing I can really improve is my experience bc my GPA is in the high-80s so I can't really do much to improve on that.

Smpalesh 

I have been thinking the exact same thing, mid-March feels so far away!!! I'm also incredibly anxious about what the future holds. Based on the threads from the past though, the time will pass quickly. 

I've already started working on my plan B, in the even that I am not successful with my U of T application. 

Hey everyone!

I feel similarly, I find the Laurier website confusing without a lot of information. I can't say that I'm much of a fan.

As for back up plans, if I don't get into an MSW program, I'm likely moving to Taiwan for a year. I'll have been in Japan for three by the end of July, so I feel like it's time for a change.

Fingers crossed for getting into Toronto or Waterloo (Advanced Standing). If i don't get into either, I will still have my BSW, so definitely working either in Ontario or moving out west! Fingers crossed for all of us. The waiting game begins! 

Hey everyone,

Quick question... does anybody know roughly when we might hear from Carleton for the 2-year MSW program? Mid-Feb?

I'm a recent graduate of UofO in economics and applied to their policy and social administration sub-discipline. I'm really hoping that my economics degree and experience at the House of Commons plus my 3 years of experience as a camp counsellor will be a bonus for my application.

Also, I admit that I fall victim to checking my app nearly every day... unrealistically expecting a changed status so soon hahaha.

Cheers,

.EC

Hi everyone! I have been following this thread this year & last year as well. I applied last year to a few 2-year MSW programs, and was wait listed. This year, I am reapplying again and hopefully will receive an acceptance. I have applied to U of T, York, and will be applying to Windsor as well. 

It has been really encouraging to read this thread and to know that other people are going through the same stressful application process!

I have a quick question to everyone applying this year. I know that our referees put in a considerable amount of time and effort in writing reference letters. Would it be considered appropriate to mail a thank you card to them, and perhaps include a gift card or some sort of token of appreciation? Has anyone else does this before? 

Thank you cards sound like a good idea. You do want to be careful to not come across as trying to influence or bribe your referees before they write all of your letters if you want to give them gifts. I only gave my referees gifts after I was certain that I would not be asking them to write letters again so that my gifts would not be misinterpreted in any way and they would be preceived as genuine tokens of appreciation.

I think email/mailed cards are generally a better option. I always feel a bit weird about gifts with any dollar amount attached to them. I feel that, maybe homemade cookies are a nice gesture. Honestly, people are usually happy to help out and understand that as part of their rolls (especially professors). I think a hand written card is a nice way to go that will definitely make your referees feel their time was appreciated.

Oh yeah, and always let them know when you do get your acceptance of course! 

Would it be considered appropriate to mail a thank you card to them, and perhaps include a gift card or some sort of token of appreciation? Has anyone else does this before? 

Mine hasn't yet.  Hopefully that doesn't indicate a problem.

Probably not, it was just updated today and from what I understand it is being done manually. As long as you have all of your green check marks, yours should be updated soon as well.