Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi Everyone :)  

I've been following for a while- nobody in my undergrad program is applying to the MSW so it's nice to feel like I'm not alone in my stress when reading here lol 

Just wondering if anyone knows when York is expected to give out decisions for the two year program, I can't seem to find anything

Thanks in advance! 

Hey I applied a couple of years ago to York's 2 year program. I didn't get a response until the end of June. Some other people heard sooner, but in general, they were brutal at keeping to their timeline. I think they say you're supposed to hear in April.

Less than a month for the decisions for U of T's advanced standing program  :wacko:

Sooooo anxious about it.... I keep trying to come up with a plan B in the even that I do not get in... Work for a year, maybe go a different rout. Maybe apply to a counselling masters program instead next year... 

*Sighs*  :unsure:

I thought I should probably start posting a bit here as I'm driving my partner crazy with all my worrying! It looks like Laurier should be sending out letters soon. I'm living in England and am hoping the post isn't too slow arriving (it's normally fairly quick, with the odd thing seeming to take ages...just my luck, these'll be the bits of mail that seem to take the long way to get here!). 

Literally all of my post-qualifying experience has been in the UK...really hoping that isn't too much of a problem.

When I got acknowledgement of my application they said that first acceptance will be going out via email.  So if you get accepted you should receive an email first.  For those who are rejected (sadly afraid this will be me :( ) we will have to wait until we get a letter.

I thought I should probably start posting a bit here as I'm driving my partner crazy with all my worrying! It looks like Laurier should be sending out letters soon. I'm living in England and am hoping the post isn't too slow arriving (it's normally fairly quick, with the odd thing seeming to take ages...just my luck, these'll be the bits of mail that seem to take the long way to get here!). 

Literally all of my post-qualifying experience has been in the UK...really hoping that isn't too much of a problem.

As of tomorrow I will be obsessively checking my email bc Laurier said they will send out acceptances via email first.  We are supposed to find out in the last 2 weeks of February and tomorrow is February 18.  I am so stressed about whether or not I will get in.  I think I have the qualifications to get in but last year they got 120 applications and only 28 people got in so obviously a lot of qualified people still don't get it.  Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!

HI there everyone!

I've been reading these threads for a while now - not sure if they're increasing or decreasing my anxiety!  :-P

Judging by my searches, this seems super unlikely, but is anyone applying to the MSW at UNBC?  It's my first choice school so I've applied to two programs there.  I guess they're having some issues entering data into their new online application system, so I'm just casually losing my mind over here.  Can't believe it'll be another two months at least until I find out.  SIGH.

Good luck and happy (chyeah) waiting, y'all.

Well, at least we'll be out of our misery one way or another provided we're not waitlisted. I don't think I could handle getting a letter that just says there's going to be more waiting for an answer!

When I got acknowledgement of my application they said that first acceptance will be going out via email.  So if you get accepted you should receive an email first.  For those who are rejected (sadly afraid this will be me :( ) we will have to wait until we get a letter.

I emailed Laurier to ask where they are in the process (for the Advanced Standing program) and here is the response I received: "Our Graduate Office should start to process our recommendations by the end of the week."

So it sounds as if we won't be hearing until next week at the earliest.  Last year the sent out the acceptances the second week of February.  I guess they are running slower this year.

Just noticed that my application status on Carleton Central has changed from 'review in progress' to 'review in progress by the department graduate and post doctoral affairs'.

If this means what I think it means, I am so incredibly relieved! Looks like the third time applying is the charm :D

Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I've applied to the MSW two year program at Laurier and U of Calgary, as well as the BSW at Dalhousie and U of Calgary. I have read all of your posts and am so happy that I am not alone during this stressful waiting game. It really is stressful having to wait. I applied to grad school last year and didn't get in so I am hoping that I will not have to wait another year again. 

I applied this year with roughly 4000 hours of work and volunteer experience, so I'm praying that is enough, I know lots of people apply with more than that! My gpa is 3.9. Is anyone on this forum also applying to U of C?

Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I've applied to the MSW two year program at Laurier and U of Calgary, as well as the BSW at Dalhousie and U of Calgary. I have read all of your posts and am so happy that I am not alone during this stressful waiting game. It really is stressful having to wait. I applied to grad school last year and didn't get in so I am hoping that I will not have to wait another year again. 

I applied this year with roughly 4000 hours of work and volunteer experience, so I'm praying that is enough, I know lots of people apply with more than that! My gpa is 3.9. Is anyone on this forum also applying to U of C?

Hi ali_son,

I am also applied for a BSW at Dalhousie as well as OT and SLP grad programs at Dal. This is my second year applying to grad schools, so I thought I'd try for a BSW as well since it is such a great profession. It is good that you applied to multiple schools. You have a very competitive GPA and so I am sure you will have a good chance with the BSW programs!! And I have heard that many grad programs accept applicants the second time around as it shows you are dedicated for applying again.

Just noticed that my application status on Carleton Central has changed from 'review in progress' to 'review in progress by the department graduate and post doctoral affairs'.

If this means what I think it means, I am so incredibly relieved! Looks like the third time applying is the charm :D[/quote

Mine has changed too. What does it mean?

Me too, I am still not 100% sure what the reply means.  What does 'start processing the recommendations' mean?  Does that mean they will send out acceptance emails by the end of the week or that they will be making decisions and we won't hear until next week or even later?  Every single time my phone dings signalling an email my heart jumps into my throat!

I am so anxious about Laurier. Thanks for emailing Smpalesh:) Everyday I am frantically checking my mail/email.

ame="mares1325" post="1058077995" timestamp="1392820108"]

It means congrats :)

I hope you are right. I thought Carleton would be the firts to hear from, but it seems they are a bit late this year. I was already rejected by Guelph, so I really need some good news.

Hi there,

I'm applying to UofC, your stats are really good, I really doubt that a ton of people apply with better than that, good luck!

Edited by kristinalynn

hey there, 
just wondering if anyone has heard back from UofT yet? I heard from someone that they sometimes send early acceptances/rejections (not sure if that's true) It gets harder to wait every day lol 

Hey everyone!

Wanted to know what job prospects are available for MSW holders. From what i have seen on charity village there are some postings but most require many years of experience and some don't state a preference for MSW (vs BSW). I am just worried about opportunities for full time work within the field of social work that pays decent. I realized doing a generic degree in science has not given me much opportunity career wise, so I want to choose a field of work that has good job prospects.

If anyone is currently attending a MSW program or knows someone who has graduated, please give some advice..

Also, I have Applied to UofT MSW (2year) and Lakehead HBSW (1year). So just waiting it out for now :)

Edited by Talstar