Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

UofT won't be doing acceptances/rejections until mid-March.  I think it is definitely too early to hear from them. 

hey there, 
just wondering if anyone has heard back from UofT yet? I heard from someone that they sometimes send early acceptances/rejections (not sure if that's true) It gets harder to wait every day lol 

I did my HBSW at Lakehead in Orillia a few years ago and loved it. I've been employed in a clinical role in England since then, and know quite a few people I was in school with who found social work positions with that degree (many have since gotten MSWs or are in the process of doing them part time). I personally went for the HBSW first because I wanted some experience before getting my Masters as I hadn't worked in a social care setting before. Either option would be well worth it I think. 

Hey everyone!

Wanted to know what job prospects are available for MSW holders. From what i have seen on charity village there are some postings but most require many years of experience and some don't state a preference for MSW (vs BSW). I am just worried about opportunities for full time work within the field of social work that pays decent. I realized doing a generic degree in science has not given me much opportunity career wise, so I want to choose a field of work that has good job prospects.

If anyone is currently attending a MSW program or knows someone who has graduated, please give some advice..

Also, I have Applied to UofT MSW (2year) and Lakehead HBSW (1year). So just waiting it out for now :)

Hey everyone!

Wanted to know what job prospects are available for MSW holders. From what i have seen on charity village there are some postings but most require many years of experience and some don't state a preference for MSW (vs BSW). I am just worried about opportunities for full time work within the field of social work that pays decent. I realized doing a generic degree in science has not given me much opportunity career wise, so I want to choose a field of work that has good job prospects.

If anyone is currently attending a MSW program or knows someone who has graduated, please give some advice..

Also, I have Applied to UofT MSW (2year) and Lakehead HBSW (1year). So just waiting it out for now :)

I guess it depends on what you want to do specifically, but I attended the Laurier information and I can't remember all the stats, but the vast majority of graduates (like 80%) had full time jobs after graduation and the majority of the remainder were part-time or contininuing school with only small unemployment.  The average salary was ~50k just after graduation.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback! I was watching the news yesterday about graduates with Masters degrees having trouble with finding work and it got me worried. But realistically i have to specialize in a field of work and put my self out there. 80% of graduates finding full time work is not a bad statistic, and I think Uoft MSW has similar stats.

Thanks for the feedback! I was watching the news yesterday about graduates with Masters degrees having trouble with finding work and it got me worried. But realistically i have to specialize in a field of work and put my self out there. 80% of graduates finding full time work is not a bad statistic, and I think Uoft MSW has similar stats.

It's likely that the news was referring to MAs and MSc instead of professional degrees. I find it likely that the unemployment rate for those with professional degrees like social work is much lower than those with general MAs and/or MScs.

Hey everyone! I've been following this thread for a few months and thought I'd join! I applied to UofT and Windsor for the 2-year msw programs, hoping I get in this year!!! Good luck to everyone who applied! :D

I have a question about UofT...along with a 4-year undergrad in Sociology, I took a post-grad certificate at Mohawk for Concurrent Disorders, and I did really well average-wise...i was wondering if UofT puts any weight on any college diploma/certificate grades for our applications? I mean, it can't hurt, but will they take those marks into some account along with our university grades/gpa? 

Hey @nevets707, I'm not sure if someone already answered your question. At the orientation, they said in terms of GPA they strictly only look at university or an equivalent degree (most recent 5 full credits 300/400 level courses). Aside from a GPA standpoint, your post-grad certificate might enhance your application :) Good Luck! 

hey there, 
just wondering if anyone has heard back from UofT yet? I heard from someone that they sometimes send early acceptances/rejections (not sure if that's true) It gets harder to wait every day lol 

They wil be sending letters out in April :) Good Luck! 

For those who applied to FIFSW & do not have an A average but at least the cut-off, don't be too nervous. The staff at FIFSW has told me that they've rejected A students at times and have accepted B students because they had experience or great letters of recommendation 

For those who applied to FIFSW & do not have an A average but at least the cut-off, don't be too nervous. The staff at FIFSW has told me that they've rejected A students at times and have accepted B students because they had experience or great letters of recommendation 

Great to hear this. I have been feeling a bit nervous with my B+. However, I have been in the field since 2008. Volunteered as a big sister, crisis counsellor, group facilitator, etc. Worked for 2 summers at a Sexual Assault Centre.  Did a college diploma in Social Service Work and had a placement working with offenders. And right now, I work full-time with families after child abuse has been reported, alongside Child Protection Workers and Child Abuse Unit Police. 

I also did my BA in English and Women's Studies combined....I hope that doesn't hurt me.

MSW is my dream and I've been working toward it for 5 years.

I am seriously going crazy!  Laurier said we would know within the last 2 weeks of February.  It is now the 20th and there are only 6 business days left in the month.  Not to mention last year people got notified by the 2nd week of February.  This is so totally driving me nuts!  Every time my phone dings signaling an email I get excited but then it ends up being some stupid email telling me there's a sale at Old Navy or something! 

Great to hear this. I have been feeling a bit nervous with my B+. However, I have been in the field since 2008. Volunteered as a big sister, crisis counsellor, group facilitator, etc. Worked for 2 summers at a Sexual Assault Centre.  Did a college diploma in Social Service Work and had a placement working with offenders. And right now, I work full-time with families after child abuse has been reported, alongside Child Protection Workers and Child Abuse Unit Police. 

I also did my BA in English and Women's Studies combined....I hope that doesn't hurt me.

MSW is my dream and I've been working toward it for 5 years.

My undergraduate studies is in Women and Gender Studies & Equity Studies. I don't think we will be at a disadvantage. Personally - I think you have wonderful experiences to bring to any MSW program. Sending positive vibes to you! :) 

Hopefully this doesn't stress people out, but I figured if I had applied to Carleton I would want to know. A couple of people I know who applied to Carleton Advanced Standing MSW got conditional acceptance today

I also got acceptance but for the 2 year-program.

I didn't apply there but I think it is helpful for people to post this information, whether it is positive or negative, because at least we have an idea where the schools are in the process. 

Hopefully this doesn't stress people out, but I figured if I had applied to Carleton I would want to know. A couple of people I know who applied to Carleton Advanced Standing MSW got conditional acceptance today

Got my Laurier acceptance e-mail...wooo!!! Good luck to everyone else who applied.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  It's great to hear good news...hopefully in less then 2 months I will be just as happy as you are now.

Do you mind my asking what your qualifications are?  I am just trying to figure out what I can do to improve my application.  I have a 3.9 GPA and 4.5 years volunteer experience at a rape crisis centre plus my practicum.  Not sure what else they want.

Got my Laurier acceptance e-mail...wooo!!! Good luck to everyone else who applied.

Maybe they haven't sent all the e-mails yet? .I finished up with a 90% average for my HBSW  (no clue what that equals in terms of my GPA). Other than my practicum, I spent 6 months as a support worker in a forensic mental health centre and have 2.5 years as a Social Worker in a clinical role in a drugs and alcohol service in London. I've done as many smaller training courses as I can get my hands on (really fortunate to get lots of these opportunities free of charge through my job) and am partway through a post-grad certificate in forensic practice through Humber.

Not sure if that helps or not. I really wish you all the best getting in. Fingers crossed that you'll still hear from Laurier, and if not hopefully U of T comes through. It certainly sounds like you have the grades and experience that you should be getting in!

Do you mind my asking what your qualifications are?  I am just trying to figure out what I can do to improve my application.  I have a 3.9 GPA and 4.5 years volunteer experience at a rape crisis centre plus my practicum.  Not sure what else they want.

I hope so! Thank you, and fingers crossed you get some good news. 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  It's great to hear good news...hopefully in less then 2 months I will be just as happy as you are now.

Congrats on your acceptance!!!! You must be ecstatic!

Thank you!!!! I am very happy indeed! I wish good luck to all of you!!!

Couple of days ago, I got a call from UWO that I was short listed and they invited me for an in person interview, which is the next step in the process. I am not sure what to do since I was already accepted by Carleton.