Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hey everyone :) I wanted to know if anyone heard from Dalhousie University for the MSW program?

I applied last year and did not get in so hoping the 2nd time around will have a better chance

Good Luck Everyone :)

Also Carleton U sent their acceptance out this week for the MSW program as a colleague got in

CONGRATS to all of you who get accpeted

Well, the week is over and I didn't hear from Laurier so I am expecting a rejection letter.  So sad. :(  I wish I had the actual letter so I could give up hope.  2-3 more weeks until I should hear from UofT.  I don't know how much of a shot I have at UofT if I didn't get into Laurier because I've heard UofT is harder to get into.

Well, the week is over and I didn't hear from Laurier so I am expecting a rejection letter.  So sad. :(  I wish I had the actual letter so I could give up hope.  2-3 more weeks until I should hear from UofT.  I don't know how much of a shot I have at UofT if I didn't get into Laurier because I've heard UofT is harder to get into.

Smpalesh,

You have an amazing GPA and great experience! I'm extremely surprised that you haven't received an acceptance email! You must be so anxious without knowing what's going on with your application :-( 

I've heard that Laurier is tough with the experience component whereas U of T does not actually require it, it's more of a good to have. I know people who were admitted with high GPAs and no experience to U of T's MSW program. 

I have already received a rejection letter from Dal MSW program, and my friend has already been accepted. This happened almost 2 weeks ago. I would say no news is better news than I got. Good luck:)

Got my Laurier acceptance e-mail...wooo!!! Good luck to everyone else who applied.

Got my Laurier acceptance e-mail...wooo!!! Good luck to everyone else who applied.

I got one too:) Is that your first choice?

Thanks for the pick-me-up. :)  Yes, I've heard that about UofT as well so I think my odds might be higher there.  I applied to the 2yr at Laurier last year and even though their website says 2 yrs experience for the 2 year MSW the rejection letter I got said that the successful applicants had 3-5 years full-time experience with a year of experience equaling 1750 hours.  I have about 2 yrs full time experience by that calculation.  So I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised if I am really not into Laurier.

Smpalesh,

You have an amazing GPA and great experience! I'm extremely surprised that you haven't received an acceptance email! You must be so anxious without knowing what's going on with your application :-( 

I've heard that Laurier is tough with the experience component whereas U of T does not actually require it, it's more of a good to have. I know people who were admitted with high GPAs and no experience to U of T's MSW program. 

Piper Stewart - What day and time did you receive the acceptance email to Laurier?  I'm currently doing my BSW at UW and all of the people from program I've talked to have not heard anything from Laurier yet.

It is, yeah. The U of T program looks great, but I think I might get lost in such a big school. What about you? Is it your first choice or are you holding out for another program?

I got one too:) Is that your first choice?

Oh Ok thanks! sorry you did not got accepted .... now im really nervous/excited

hopefully I hear somthing soon.. did you or anyone you knw apply to the distance MSW program at Dal?

Congrats on Laurier How exciting :)

Edited by katm9

Hi everyone!

Been lurking for a while now, but finally got the nerve to sign up and join you guys. The stress of waiting is ruining my life. All I am doing lately it seems is eating, refreshing my email, and checking the post. Patience is a virtue that I don't possess. Carleton has already rejected me and I was really okay with it and still waiting to hear back for the UofT, York, and Windsor. Ugh!! I can't do this waiting business anymore and need to know so I can move on with my life. Good luck to you all. 

Edited by foreverwaiting

Piper Stewart - What day and time did you receive the acceptance email to Laurier?  I'm currently doing my BSW at UW and all of the people from program I've talked to have not heard anything from Laurier yet.

It was last Thursday at 5:30 pm. Fingers crossed for you Smpalesh. It sounds like your marks and experience are outstanding.

Congratulations to everyone who has heard back and been accepted! If you haven't yet heard a response, I wish you luck :)

It still seems like ages until April and the stress is getting to me. Not knowing how I can plan for my future is really difficult. I'm finally leaving Japan after living here for three years come July, but I can't know or even begin to plan where and what I'll be doing until I hear back from universities. Here's to time going by quickly!

Actually not looking forward to tomorrow.  On the weekend I can kind of bury my head in the sand and pretend I'm not waiting for my future to be decided because I know I'm not going to get an email or letter on the weekend.  As of tomorrow I go back into stress mode, hoping every ding of my phone is an acceptance email.  What makes it even harder is I am currently doing my BSW and all day Monday and Tuesday I have classes with my group of 60 students and most likely one or more of them will get an acceptance email from Laurier during the course of the day making me feel like crap. :(  Grad schools you are ruining my life!

They don't separate the streams while doing admissions.  I know two people on here have gotten acceptances but I don't know of anyone in my BSW program who has heard anything and I do find it hard to believe that none of us will get accepted.  I don't think anyone is a shoo-in though.  All of us who are applying have good qualifications and it just depends on who they feel is the best fit.  Hopefully we all hear by the end of this week.

What stream did the Laurier acceptance letters come to? CPPO or IFG? Maybe they separated the two while doing admissions? I honestly thought I was a shoe in.

I guess it doesn't matter if they don't separate things when they send out the e-mails, but just in case I applied for the IFG stream. Fingers crossed that they just haven't notified everyone yet.

What stream did the Laurier acceptance letters come to? CPPO or IFG? Maybe they separated the two while doing admissions? I honestly thought I was a shoe in.

I guess it doesn't matter if they don't separate things when they send out the e-mails, but just in case I applied for the IFG stream. Fingers crossed that they just haven't notified everyone yet.

I also got accepted to the IFG steam

I applied to the IFG stream originally but their website says you can switch so if I get accepted I will be switching to CPPO. 

I don't necessarily think I will still get in but I do find it very odd that no one in my BSW program has heard yet because the odds that none of us got in are slim to none.  So I expect they will still be sending acceptances at the beginning of the week. 

At this point though, due to my lack of experience I am not expecting to get in and I am putting all my hopes on UofT.

Edited by smpalesh

Oh Ok thanks! sorry you did not got accepted .... now im really nervous/excited

hopefully I hear somthing soon.. did you or anyone you knw apply to the distance MSW program at Dal?

Congrats on Laurier How exciting :)

I have applied to the MSW distance at dalhousie and haven't heard yet!! its driving me crazy because the website said we would hear "mid february".....I'll let you know if I hear anything! It's killin me!

Edited by sarah428

I have applied to the MSW distance at dalhousie and haven't heard yet!! its driving me crazy because the website said we would hear "mid february".....I'll let you know if I hear anything! It's killin me!

Ok and same here I will post if I get any news

I read at an earlier post that some rejection and acceptance letters were recieved a few weeks ago. so im trying to stay hopeful :)

If they said you would hear mid-February I would call or email just to get an idea where they are in the process.  I don't think they would think badly of you for wondering, especially when February is now almost over.

If they said you would hear mid-February I would call or email just to get an idea where they are in the process.  I don't think they would think badly of you for wondering, especially when February is now almost over.

I emailed on the 14th.....haven't gotten a response as of yet

Ok and same here I will post if I get any news

I read at an earlier post that some rejection and acceptance letters were recieved a few weeks ago. so im trying to stay hopeful :)

I'm hoping that the letters received were for home program and not the distance? I dunno....trying to stay positive!