Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

I received the email confirming the details of the Lakehead HBSW online personal statement exam today. They do mention that results will be posted in mid-April - which seems like an eternity!

In the instructions for the exam, they state that the length for 4/5 questions should be 2-3 pages? Does anyone know if we're talking word document sized pages? The idea of that makes me nauseous.

I received the email confirming the details of the Lakehead HBSW online personal statement exam today. They do mention that results will be posted in mid-April - which seems like an eternity!

In the instructions for the exam, they state that the length for 4/5 questions should be 2-3 pages? Does anyone know if we're talking word document sized pages? The idea of that makes me nauseous.

You took the words out of my mouth! My written statement answers for a Masters program were just over a page. I don't see how we can write 4, 3 page essays in that amount of time. 

I have been following this forum and I have learned so much for you guys! I have an undergraduate Honours degree in Child & Youth Study and I am considering going the Bachelor to Masters route at Dalhousie. I am wondering if most people applying for Social work have a BSW? Does anyone know what the competition is like for the Bachelor of Social work at Dal or in general?

With Dal, I understand that if you already have an undergrad, that you can do the BSW in two years and then apply to the Masters after getting some work experience. I wish I could go straight into the Master's program, but it seems like that might not be a possibility in Canada.

I am also wondering what different types of jobs are available for a bachelor vs. master's degree? I have experience working with young adults and youth on the Autism Spectrum as a job coach. I have also conducted research on families of children with special needs transitioning to school and how that affects their access to support services. I want to continue to work with families and youth possibly in a counseling / advocacy capacity. I would love to receive any insight into the types of jobs people have had through both BSW and MSW. Good luck to everyone who applied! I am cheering you on.

Hi 2014Appy,

You can apply to 2 year MSW programs and you do not need a BSW. U of Victoria, UBC, U of Calgary, Carleton, U of T, Laurier and U of Windsor offer 2 year programs. What a shame you are finding out now as most of the deadlines for September admission have already passed. But if you still want to go this route you might still be able to meet the deadline for UBC - Okanagan. You could also apply to a parttime MSW program at Laurier and just ask to be transferred into fulltime after the first semester. I believe the deadline is in late spring.

Some people with a BSW decide to do an MSW to get a salary increase, to become managers or to open up their own practice. You have a wider range of job opportunities with an MSW compared to a BSW.

Best of luck on your applications!

I wish I could go straight into the Master's program, but it seems like that might not be a possibility in Canada.

I am also wondering what different types of jobs are available for a bachelor vs. master's degree?

So you know when you're waiting for so long you can't help but start doubting  yourself??

At first I was very confident, and it's starting to wear off.....

My question is.....does anyone know how U of T weighs grades/written statement/experience/references?

Is there an order? I'm worried because in my final year I only took 3 300/400 level credits (82% average)

If I go back 2 years, I took a couple 300 level then and didn't do so well (drops the average to 78%...which I wasn't thinking about when applying)

Hoping my experience, references, and written statement can make up for that. Ugh....April can't come soon enough.  

kathclemens. it is my understanding that U of T places most weight on grades. At least that was what I was told when I called them back when I applied.  I'm not sure about the order of the other components.  They only count upper level courses (3rd and 4th year) so if you have a lot of 100/200 level courses in your final year, they wont count when tabulating your average for admission purposes.

I'm in the same boat, currently completing my BSW and all my classmates know I have applied. Since you're doing your BSW at Waterloo would you happen to know when they send out decisions for the Master's? I cannot seem to find it anywhere on the website! I am living in limbo too, and will need to make some quick decisions once I find out where I get in! 

I can ask around for you when I go back to classes next week :)

Hi 2014Appy,

You can apply to 2 year MSW programs and you do not need a BSW. U of Victoria, UBC, U of Calgary, Carleton, U of T, Laurier and U of Windsor offer 2 year programs. What a shame you are finding out now as most of the deadlines for September admission have already passed. But if you still want to go this route you might still be able to meet the deadline for UBC - Okanagan. You could also apply to a parttime MSW program at Laurier and just ask to be transferred into fulltime after the first semester. I believe the deadline is in late spring.

Some people with a BSW decide to do an MSW to get a salary increase, to become managers or to open up their own practice. You have a wider range of job opportunities with an MSW compared to a BSW.

it's still possible to apply to the 2 year fulltime MSW program at Laurier (specialization in Aboriginal studies). The deadline is April 1st.

Jenste,

Thanks for the info! It's good to know there is some flexibility. I will look into the one's that have a later application date. Do you happen to know if any of them programs offer a distance MSW?

Edited by 2014 Appy

Hi 2014Appy,

Hi, Jenste.

I am wondering why people have not mentioned about UBC - Okanagan. Is it because it is not really University of BC, or because the level of the program is a bit lower when compared to the programs offered at other popular universities?

I noticed that B.C. MSW programs aren't well represented on this forum, for some reason. Perhaps it's because a lot of people on the forum come from Ontario (it is the most populated province in Canada, afterall) and some people might not want to move so far away from home. It can also be expensive to fly out to BC and most people wouldn't get many visits from family and friends who live in another province. 

As far as I know, UBC is a good school. It is only 1 of 3 or 4 Canadian schools that makes it on the best universities in the world list every year (can't remember what that list is officially called). UBC Okanagan is still a part of UBC it's just that the campus is in Kelowna (in the Okanangan Valley) and not in Vancouver, like the main campus. They also have an MSW program at the main campus but the requirements are different. Some people here might be eligible to apply for both programs though.

Something worth noting is that tuition at the UBC MSW program is just under $1500 per semester which is less than half the price of tuition at U of T, Laurier and Windsor. So even if you have to fly to get out there and go back home over the holidays, UBC is still more affordable than some other programs.  

Hi, Jenste.

I am wondering why people have not mentioned about UBC - Okanagan. Is it because it is not really University of BC, or because the level of the program is a bit lower when compared to the programs offered at other popular universities?

I am only aware of U of Waterloo and Dalhousie, but you need to have a master's degree in another field for the second option. The second year of the MSW program at Victoria is offered online, but you've already missed the deadline. Apart from that, I am only aware of counselling programs that are offered online and a number of American schools offer online MSW programs.

Jenste,

Thanks for the info! It's good to know there is some flexibility. I will look into the one's that have a later application date. Do you happen to know if any of them programs offer a distance MSW?

So you know when you're waiting for so long you can't help but start doubting  yourself??

My question is.....does anyone know how U of T weighs grades/written statement/experience/references?

Is there an order? I'm worried because in my final year I only took 3 300/400 level credits (82% average)

If I go back 2 years, I took a couple 300 level then and didn't do so well (drops the average to 78%...which I wasn't thinking about when applying)

Hoping my experience, references, and written statement can make up for that. Ugh....April can't come soon enough.  

Hey, 

When I went to UofT's MSW info session they said that they will only look at the most recent 5 credit 300/400 level courses. Even if you took a 300/400 level course in second year with an A grade they will only look at the most recent 5.0 credit 300/400 level. I believe their cut off is a mid to high B. I remember Angela Umbrello the admissions coordinator saying that the first screening are marks. Since UofT gets a lot of applicants - without the cutoff marks they won't look at the rest of your application. I may be wrong tho - but this is what i remember. 

At U of T grades is what matters most. However, not all students who get in have excellent grades. Grades do not make a great social worker, and the admissions committee for sure also acknowledges that. So having a lower than A- or even a flat B, or lower than B does not mean you're already excluded. It is a false assumption that people make because admission may be also based on your experiences. Some people in the program have extensive volunteer or work experience in health and social services organization with direct client components while others have been involved in many social justice, community development, and activism locally and internationally.

In the application package, it is important that the CV, Written Statement, and Letters of Reference should serve as evidence to each other. Each application is rated 1-5, at least that's what I've heard, and written statement is appraised based on evidence. Meaning what is in the CV must appear in the written statement as objectively as possible with substantiated subjective critical reflection as well as expression of motivation for the decision to pursue MSW. If details on CV are not articulated well in all submitted documents there is a possibility of automatic rejection.

Best of Luck!

Edited by semimicro

At UofT, the first screening is strictly gpa and they will not consider any application below a 'B' average, regardless of what else you bring to the table.  If you make that cut-off, that means that they will view your application in full.  When I spoke with Angela In the past, she said that the students admitted usually have high gpa's and the low end of those accepted are closer to a high B+.  Of course, this doesn't mean that anyone who has a B average should give up-- they look at everything and a strong application in other areas can go a long way.

If you don't make the Gpa cut-off, they will not wait until March/April to tell you. You will get a rejection letter in the mail much earlier than that.  Only those applications being considered will be notified by the March/April time frame.

Hey, 

When I went to UofT's MSW info session they said that they will only look at the most recent 5 credit 300/400 level courses. Even if you took a 300/400 level course in second year with an A grade they will only look at the most recent 5.0 credit 300/400 level. I believe their cut off is a mid to high B. I remember Angela Umbrello the admissions coordinator saying that the first screening are marks. Since UofT gets a lot of applicants - without the cutoff marks they won't look at the rest of your application. I may be wrong tho - but this is what i remember. 

Hi, 

Just wondering if the 5 credits is full or half credits that they look at :) 

thanks ! 

Hi, 

Just wondering if the 5 credits is full or half credits that they look at :)

thanks ! 

Hi kenzie_123, the 5 credits is full, so your last 10 half credits that were in the 300/400 level. 

Thanks Semimicro, Jordanna,and MSW13  for your input! I appreciate it. 

There's nothing I can do now but wait and hope for the best. :) There's comfort in knowing a 78% average still meets the cut-off, and an 88% in the mandatory research course will hopefully help out my application in terms of academic suitability. I have over 3000 hours of relevant volunteer/work/placement experience, and good references so I am confident in that respect. 

Now I will try to practice zen for the next couple months, instead of impatiently waiting for April 15. :) 

Best of luck to everyone. 

kathclemens, your info sounds like mine. I have a 3.62 GPA in the courses that count towards the decision (not sure exactly how that lines up in terms of percentages, as my university only reports letter grades). I also have an A or 4.0 in my research methods course and over 3000 hours in relevant work/volunteer/placement experience and strong references. Only difference is that I have applied for the advanced standing and it sounds like you've applied for the 2 year (based on your April 15th comment)... 

Although I know that the decision won't be made until March for the advanced standing, I check the site daily AND shuffle back and forth between feeling extremely anxious about my application and extremely confidant lol I have also re-read my resume and letter of intent a million times since submitting them

:-/ lol 

Thanks Semimicro, Jordanna,and MSW13  for your input! I appreciate it. 

There's nothing I can do now but wait and hope for the best. :) There's comfort in knowing a 78% average still meets the cut-off, and an 88% in the mandatory research course will hopefully help out my application in terms of academic suitability. I have over 3000 hours of relevant volunteer/work/placement experience, and good references so I am confident in that respect. 

Now I will try to practice zen for the next couple months, instead of impatiently waiting for April 15. :)

Best of luck to everyone. 

I only have 10 courses at the 300/400 level if I add in the 3 courses I took in Fall 2013 semester.  Obviously the first transcript I sent UofT didn't have the fall courses because they didn't become available on the transcript until January 23.  Do you think I still have time to get the transcript to them before they kick me out of the running for not having enough courses?  I am not home right now (family emergency) but I can fax a request to my current university tomorrow for the transcript.  The earliest I could get it to UofT would be February 7.  I am applying for the Advanced Standing and I am worried they will have already dismissed my application.

I only have 10 courses at the 300/400 level if I add in the 3 courses I took in Fall 2013 semester.  Obviously the first transcript I sent UofT didn't have the fall courses because they didn't become available on the transcript until January 23.  Do you think I still have time to get the transcript to them before they kick me out of the running for not having enough courses?  I am not home right now (family emergency) but I can fax a request to my current university tomorrow for the transcript.  The earliest I could get it to UofT would be February 7.  I am applying for the Advanced Standing and I am worried they will have already dismissed my application.

You should be fine but I would definitely email Angela and let her know that you will be sending them in as soon as possible. I know I had to send my fall transcripts in as soon as my final marks were all available last year. 

Hey everyone! I've been following this thread for a few months and thought I'd join! I applied to UofT and Windsor for the 2-year msw programs, hoping I get in this year!!! Good luck to everyone who applied! :D

I have a question about UofT...along with a 4-year undergrad in Sociology, I took a post-grad certificate at Mohawk for Concurrent Disorders, and I did really well average-wise...i was wondering if UofT puts any weight on any college diploma/certificate grades for our applications? I mean, it can't hurt, but will they take those marks into some account along with our university grades/gpa? 

For anyone who applied to Carleton (2-yr MSW)...

I just got a reply back from a faculty member I am familiar with and they said that the admissions committee has been meeting for the past two weeks and that decisions will be going out in the next two weeks!!